Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console Hire

Options
  • 10-12-2007 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Remember the way video stores used to rent out the Megadrive and the SNES, do they still do that?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jaysus you be lucky to find one that sells a megadrive or a snes let alone rents them out. :D

I think extravision used to rent out ps2's but I'm not 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Well I was actually thinking more about the rental of their modern day equivalents. I can see why you thought otherwise, I was a bit ambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I remember that Xtra Vision rented out the N64 too. Dunno who rents out consoles anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

im...LOST wrote: »
    I remember that Xtra Vision rented out the N64 too. Dunno who rents out consoles anymore...

and all it took was one person who lived in a house of smokers to rent it out and then it smelt like an ashtray for life. Hated renting out games or consoles for this very reason.

Don't know about renting out the PS3 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ahhh many happy days were had renting out the Playstation until my folks generously bought me one for Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Don't think they do - went into Xtravision to look at renting an XBox 360 and they looked at me as if I was from another planet!

🤪

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

My family business was a video store and we use to rent them out. The PS1 and N64 where extremely popular rental wise at the time. We where able to rent them months before the likes of Xtra-Vision could. The PS2 rented well for us as well but their was never any demand for the Dreamcast (which we tried), Gamecube or Xbox. However with the decline of rentals and the huge ownership of the PS2 demand greatly dropped till there was no point renting the machines. There is simply less of a market nowadays and the new consoles are simply too expensive to risk renting. We had one console stolen on us at the time. Another issue we had and I'd say anywhere would have is getting the consoles constantly returned with a missing cable, plug or joypad. Joypads getting wrecked was also not uncommon with PS1 joypads coming back covered in jam:eek:

The Playstation series was always very fragile and did not lend itself well to being rented. We sent dozens back faulty. The game discs just like DVDs can also be badly scratched during rentals. The N64 been cartridge based never gave us any bother. Nowadays the Xbox 360 is considered extremely unreliable with something like a 33% failure rate. But I'd say the biggest concern nowadays would revolve around theft of the console.

Advertisement