Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPA? = Degree

Options
  • 10-12-2007 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a simple answer to this question or is it different for each programme?

What GPA do I need to achieve to get a first.

I can't seen to get a straight answer anywhere.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/alu/documents/modular_grades_explained.pdf

So you convert your GPA to a letter, and then;
    A - first
    B - 2.1
    C - 2.2
    D - Pass

So to get a first, you need a GPA of 3.8 or above............I think

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

what?! no no no, it's 3.68 for a first!! or so I thought.... I sure hope so

what?! no no no, it's 3.68 for a first!! or so I thought.... I sure hope so

I wondered if 3.8 seemed a little high alright......but I still don't see how I got it wrong?

Can you end up with a B of some form so and still get a first?

:UCDsigh:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

This is what I have found out.
    First above 3.8
    2.1- 3.4- 3.8
    2.2 -2.4-3.4
    third below 2.4

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

So then what qualifies as an A, B, etc percentage wise? All my midterm results were released as percentages...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

A First is 3.68. Yes, if you get a very high B+, it's a First. The standards haven't changed since the old system, just the way grades are labelled. It's still over 70% for a First, 60% for a 2.1, 50% for a 2.2 and 40% for a pass (for the vast majority of courses anyway). If in doubt, ask your programme office.

See the attached chart for the precise conversions. I know it doesn't look very official but the numbers have been backed up by my lecturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Thanks Breezer, great attachment!

It confuses me slightly (and God knows I should understand it by now), but in your attachment, where it says "old honours classification", a first was lower end 70%.

In the new system, a first is GPA 3.68 or above. But on the scale of grades to percentages, that puts you in the B+ realm, which is lower end 66.67% (3.6), upper end 69.99% (3.8). (I think 3.68 = 67.91%)

Does that mean the standard needed to get a first has ever so slightly dropped from 70% to (about) 67.91%?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Breezer wrote: »
    It's still over 70% for a First,

I don't get it. If you get a B- (70%) in all of your exams you get a GPA of 3.2 which is a 2.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

No, 40-50 is a D, 50-60 is a C, 60-70 is a B and 70-100 is an A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

My bad I was still looking at the 2005/2006 part. I r dumbass

Raphael wrote: »
    No, 40-50 is a D, 50-60 is a C, 60-70 is a B and 70-100 is an A.

That's what I thought too. But if you can get a first on a GPA in the B+ level (GPA 3.68), that's a first on an average of less than 70%, yes? And hence less than the traditional system?

Yes indeed. But it's only about halfway down into B+, so only about 68.3.

So they drop the requirement by about a degree and a half, but honestly you;d probably be bumped up anyway, and it saves someone who has a traditional first (70%) all the way through their degree getting royally screwed by a single poor result in their final year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Thanks for that, its good to know what my results mean :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I wish my lecturers knew...

I had one apologising to me today for not having GPAs and grades for me - I'm old school I get percentages.

It worries me when the lecturers don't know what system i'm on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who was confused with this.

I have been working off the basis that its 3.68 which means I am still in with a chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

It can be confusing alright but if ya just take it roughly as D = Pass, C = 2.2, B = 2.1 and an A = first class honours... (I know a high B+ is also a first pr whatever but just a guideline...)

Here's a question, does anyone know which years a degree in science is based on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

3rd and 4th Usually.

30% for 3rd year 70% for 4th.

Thought twas something like that, can't find it online anywhere though. Cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement