Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slow puncture

Options
  • 10-12-2007 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Has anyone got a fix for a slow puncture?? tubeless tyres are a bitch and nobody seems to be able to find the damned thing, yet every second morning there she is down to 10psi. Lucky I have a portable cigarette lighter compressor but this will still only bring it up to about 20psi !! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Foleyart wrote: »
    Has anyone got a fix for a slow puncture?? tubeless tyres are a bitch and nobody seems to be able to find the damned thing, yet every second morning there she is down to 10psi. Lucky I have a portable cigarette lighter compressor but this will still only bring it up to about 20psi !! :confused:

Maybe the Alloy has a fracture in it rather than the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd be thinking along the lines of a new tyre rather than going through that hassle each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

throw a can of tyre weld into it maybe, bound to sort out the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there some sort of sealant you can get?
    edit: beaten by Tails

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

I'd be thinking along the lines of a new tyre rather than going through that hassle each day.

Hey man, at 200 Euros a pop !! give me a quick fix thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Hey man, at 200 Euros a pop !! give me a quick fix thanks!!

What tyre is 200 yoyo's

Best thing is go into a tyre place and ask them to test what the problem is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Ring JD Tyres, He is supposed to be cheap.

http://www.goldenpages.ie/detailsSearch.ds?detailsListingId=IE_13677833_9999_1502&tab=

Worth a bash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have a wheel/tyre that behaves oddly, sometimes its in "leak" mode yet for weeks can be apparently sealed happily.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It could be a fault with the valve rather than the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

if nobody can find the problem, could it be that someone is messing with you at night. Have heard it happen before. otherwise it could be a porous wheel rim which would need to be sealed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Get a tube put in. I have one in three of my 4 tyres now as its too hard to find these slow punctures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Take the wheel off the car, pump the tyre to the high end of whatever pressure is considered 'normal,' and dunk it in the bath.
    If a bath is unavailable, or the use of same carries a significant risk of your sudden (and probably painful) demise, any suitably sized water receptacle will suffice.
    Look for bubbles.
    These will tell where the leak is, and this will determine what action needs to be taken next.

Alternatively, squirt/brush the wheel/tyre with soapy water and look for more bubbles. This is much easier done with the wheel off the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Its a Pajero so no mean feat to take the tyre off and bring to a bath !! will try sealant and see how it goes. thanks for all the advice.;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

drdre wrote: »
    What tyre is 200 yoyo's
    Many decent brand name tyres in 17" and larger
    My rears are Goodyear Eagle F1s (255/35/17") and cost something like €190. The 18" equivalent was about €100 more (I priced them for my boss)!

If the wheel can't be conveniently removed, try the soapy water technique, or drive it into a deep puddle.

Really, without finding out where the air is escaping, you're taking shots in the dark.
    Tyre sealer may work, but if the leak is in the sidewall of the tyre, or around the bead, or at the valve, or the wheel is porous, it won't do anything.

kbannon wrote: »
    Many decent brand name tyres in 17" and larger
    My rears are Goodyear Eagle F1s (255/35/17") and cost something like €190. The 18" equivalent was about €100 more (I priced them for my boss)!
    I recently dropped €330 each on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2 in 255/35 ZR19 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Take wheel off the jeep and as Rovi said and dunk upright wheel in a large recepticle, (Recepticle onle needs to deep enough to cover the rubber) then rotate the wheel until you see the bubbles. I know its heavy but would that stop you changing a blowout on the side of the road? hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is there a small buckle / flat spot on the alloy wheel??? maybe its just leaking when the flat spot is at the bottom near the ground, hence its intermittent, ie depending on what angle the wheel is at when you stop....

Advertisement