Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the wicklow Way

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Ant wrote: »
    Well done. That's an epic ride. I'm pretty sure ye beat the record that existed previous to Ryan and Mel's awesome accomplishments.

Almost, the previous record was 12:12 (as far as I remember)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Muirismoran

Hi, could i ask some advice? Myself and a friend are going to do it this weekend for charity over 2 days, giving ourselves 8hrs each day. Was planning to do it the bank holiday wknd but reading your comments I think since it's dry at the moment now is the best time. A week without rain is a long time in this country!

We were planning to get as far as Glenmalure the first day, get picked up and start there again the next. We'll have someone meet us half way at the Guinness lake on the first day with some food and drink, but I'm a bit unsure where she should meet us on the second. Where do you think would be halfway between glenmalure and clonegal if it's relatively dry? I never done the second half before so I'm just going on what's on the thread. Someone told me they think it will still be very muddy in sections from Glenmalure on. Should we still allow for it taking as long as the first half or will it be a lot quicker? Any comments or advice will be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Maurice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Hi Maurice, looks like a good weekend to do it. I don't think many parts will be wet now, when we did it it was 2 days after a monsoon but still most of the tracks were dry. As for a stop on the 2nd half I would say near Tinahealy as it is easy to find for the driver. It's at 98km so halfway on the 2nd half. There are a lot more road sections on the 2nd half so it is a lot faster but you might be more tired as well. It is still hilly all the same even some of the road sections, and some of the boreens are soft grass.

I thought the 2nd half from Glenmalure onwards is really nice and varied and I would love to do it again. breaking it in 2 over 2 days is ideal for this time of the year and you'll have time to admire the scenery as well.

Best of luck and let's know how you get on.

PS: take it easy on the descents as there were lots of loose rocks when we did it and one descent after you leave the road after Aughavannagh is real tricky.

Also we missed a left turn into the forest at 76.5km after Carrickoshane mtn as the sign was overgrown. We actually added on a little bit by going on the road down to the Iron Bridge.

Also I studied the Wicklow Way maps to memorise the route!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Muirismoran

Thanks for the advice. Did it in 14h10min over the 2 days. Had fantastic weather, the 2nd half was easy enough, no mud at all. Would recommend it to anyone thinking of doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hostmanx

Hey I've just discovered the attached and I;m passing it on for all to be aware:

QUOTE [ NO CAMPING IN THE VALLEY OPPOSITE KNOCKREE HOSTEL!
    It is PRIVATE LAND. Since Easter 2011 the landowners ENFORCE trespass laws, which means if they see you heading into the valley they stop you and tell you not to camp there, and if you do go anyway, they send a security person into the valley to tell you to pack up and leave, and if you dont go they call the guards, who will evict you. If you argue with them, they will arrest you. This is all legal and above board. Its a result of the landowners and locals being heartily sick of scumbags and knackers ruining their area, binge-drinking and drug-taking, uprooting newly-planted trees, lighting illegal fires, chopping down trees, breaking fences, injuring ponies, leaving human excrement and toilet paper everywhere. Not to mention the littering, for which incidentally the landowner gets a €1200 fine from the Council.......
    So be warned. Dont bother attempting to camp there. You only have right of entrance to the land to walk across it on the Wicklow Way path] UNQUOTE

• Advertisement
Advertisement