Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reversing wrong way up the M50.

Options
  • 10-12-2007 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

I saw something this morning that just takes the biscuit.

I was driving northbound on the M50 on the way to work this morning at about 10:45 and some *expletive deleted* in an Audi Q7 was reversing back up the hard shoulder on the other side just at the Cherrywood exit. (s)he had obviously missed/overshot the exit by about 10 yards (Cherrywood) and rather than take the next exit, (s)he was reversing back up the hard shoulder.

At least (s)he had the courtesy to put on the hazards and use the hard shoulder.... :eek:

I've seen some pretty classy manoeuvres in my day but this one took the biscuit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I've seen that a few times too ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Get their reg and ring Traffic Watch. Probably nothing will ever come of it anyway, but something might be done, which is more than will happen if you just tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I got clocked speeding on the new road towards Athlone, its a motorway, but it still has the 100kph signs on it. Fair cop, I was doing 115kph like a dope. Had to get out of the overtaking lane (I was overtaking) in to the hard shoulder. She then made me reverse about two hundred meters up the hard shoulder so she could book me!

I know some people who genuinly can't reverse in a straight line. Luckily enough I can....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If it's a motorway and not a dual carraigeway you should've kindly told her to F back off to Templemore and resit the traffic lectures as she's in no position to give you instructions to do something 200% illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

At least yer man in the Q7 had reversing lights, I (just about) saw a old tractor reversing on the hard shoulder Sunday evening near Gort without a single light front or back:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Reversing back to get access to a slip road is quite common on our motorways. Even more common is driving (forwards) on the hard shoulder. Both offences IIRC gather penalty points but obviously not enough have been given out in this area to scare people.
    Maybe (going by overseas examples) there will be a few high profile incidents where someone doing either of these ended up causing a massive pile up!

If it's a motorway and not a dual carraigeway

I probably didn't expain this properly, I think its considered a dual carraigeway at the moment with 100kph signs. Soon it will be a Motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

Sure what else could (s)he do? - I'f she'd turned around she might have hit someone head-on.

PS I've never seen a Q7 driven by a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kbannon wrote: »
    Reversing back to get access to a slip road is quite common on our motorways. Even more common is driving (forwards) on the hard shoulder. Both offences IIRC gather penalty points but obviously not enough have been given out in this area to scare people.
    Maybe (going by overseas examples) there will be a few high profile incidents where someone doing either of these ended up causing a massive pile up!

Theres always people doing these things in the Uk on Road wars. Seems stupidity is universal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

blackbox wrote: »
    Sure what else could (s)he do?

What he/she is supposed to do: carry on until the next exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sure what else could (s)he do? - I'f she'd turned around she might have hit someone head-on.

Its a dual carriageway - she wasn't allowed reverse backwards OR turn around! Go to next exit, loop back, only legal way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tell that to Gordon Ramsay .. he drives one on 'Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Alun wrote: »
    Tell that to Gordon Ramsay .. he drives one on 'Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares' :)

Someone must have told him they're for girls. Last night (on the telly) he was driving a Subaru of some sort :)

The Q7 is HUGE. Saw one the other day. Do they have a monster engine or are they underpowered?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

unkel wrote: »
    Someone must have told him they're for girls. Last night (on the telly) he was driving a Subaru of some sort :)
    Yeah, I noticed that too. Couldn't make out what it was though, as they didn't show any shots of the exterior. Maybe he didn't want to park his Q7 in Nottingham city centre, I know I wouldn't .. lived there for a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I guess the same person told him that Subarus are men's cars. Not sure if he's as worried about parking as he is about his image :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

Slow coach wrote: »
    What he/she is supposed to do: carry on until the next exit.

We Irish still have a peasant mentality. Some of us may be able to afford a Q7, but we still think like we were using a bike (or Shank's mare).

...perish the thought of going several additional miles just to obey the rules....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Not half as stupid as the many people i have seen reversing off the slip road back on to the motorway as they took the wrong exit,or.... the countless times i've seen peolple reversing back up the on ramp to a roundabout as the took the wrong turn of the roundabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

why these people dont do the extra 2-3 mins going to the next junction and turning around is beyond me...

120 seconds for your life? not really worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Seems the concept of the PATENTLY Bleeding obvious isn't getting through to some people - like the chap I saw reversing around the N11/M11 ROUNDabout 'cos he missed his exit (the hint is in the name, tw@t-features)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

<Pedantry> 'Reversing BACK' can be construed as a double negative and therefore is technically moving forward - i.e. the correct direction </Pedantry>

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

De Hipster wrote: »
    <Pedantry> 'Reversing BACK' can be construed as a double negative and therefore is technically moving forward - i.e. the correct direction </Pedantry>

:)

Um... what?
    eh..oh sh*t that post above has blanked me! I saw some idiot do this recently too. On the (i think N4 blanch road). decided to reverse back up the exit from blanch leading to the dual carriage way. nearly caused an accident as a bus had to hit the brakes.

Advertisement