Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divorce complications

• 10-12-2007 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I am 21 and I will be 22 by the time I finish my undergraduate degree. I have not been eligible for a grant, but since my parents got divorced I'm not sure. My father has to pay my education fees until I'm 23 and provide 500 euro a month maintenance. My mother does not earn above the exclusion criteria and I will be living with her. Does this mean that I may be eligible for a grant?
    With regard to postgraduate study, if I do the two year masters that I want to do, I will run out of money half way through as my fathers responsibility runs out at the same time. Is there some sort of mature student grant then?.. So confusing :(

Comments

Hello!
    MrsBunnsy wrote: »
    I am 21 and I will be 22 by the time I finish my undergraduate degree. I have not been eligible for a grant, but since my parents got divorced I'm not sure. My father has to pay my education fees until I'm 23 and provide 500 euro a month maintenance. My mother does not earn above the exclusion criteria and I will be living with her. Does this mean that I may be eligible for a grant?

I remember someone querying this before - your total income level should now consist of your income, your mother, and any maintenance that's paid (I think). I don't believe your father's income will come into account. However, I might be wrong on that.

It's definitely worth considering at any rate. Give your local Council a call, they should be able to help you out.
    With regard to postgraduate study, if I do the two year masters that I want to do, I will run out of money half way through as my fathers responsibility runs out at the same time. Is there some sort of mature student grant then?.. So confusing :(

The same grant is essentially there for undergraduates as for postgraduates, however usually people are older when they're doing a PG so more can apply as a mature student. If you get a grant in undergraduate circles, assuming the income level remains under the thresholds detailed just above here, the grant can be continued on as normal, just that it'll be dependent on your income and your parent and whatever else is coming towards yourselves.

However, if you don't obtain a grant and you wish to go on to PG study and apply under the mature student category, you may have to take a year out before applying as a mature student. I know someone who was caught with this rule (which I believe is ridiculous) this year. If you apply as a mature independent candidate, you'll have had to be living away from home the October before you apply, and with some other contingencies as well. Basically, you'll end up only being assessed on your own income instead of your income and your parent(s) etc. If you apply as a mature dependent candidate, you'll be assessed as you would be right now as an undergraduate. Also, to be a mature student applicant you'll have to be over 23 on the 1st of January in the year you're entering college.

It's a complicated process - have a looksee at some links in my signature and do give your local council a call. They'll probably be able to explain it in more detail, and are of course the official line on the grant process. So they're yer only man :)

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement