Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive alsation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Freddie59 wrote: »
    No you moron. The reason the dog was put down was because of irresponsible owners (again) and those like you who think it's OK for these beasts to live in housing estates. Far from a troll I have been involved in several of these threads over the last few months on boards.ie Housing estates are built for people - not animals. Again, well done Judge.:D

Plenty of people keep animals that live on estates, some even help with rescuing animals.....as long as the dog is walked regularly it doesn't matter that it has a small garden IMO.

and the dog that was put down for BARKING, how was the owner irresponsible? the dog was kept behind an 8' fence! It's not like it was roaming the streets ''mauling children'' and I'd like to see the statistics of all these mauled and mutilated children. I'm sure more children are killed or injured in car accidents every year than there are by the family pooch! and yet nobody thinks that all cars should be banned or turned into a cube at the scrap yard everytime a kid is injured by one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Plenty of people keep animals that live on estates, some even help with rescuing animals.....as long as the dog is walked regularly it doesn't matter that it has a small garden IMO.

and the dog that was put down for BARKING, how was the owner irresponsible? the dog was kept behind an 8' fence! It's not like it was roaming the streets ''mauling children'' and I'd like to see the statistics of all these mauled and mutilated children. I'm sure more children are killed or injured in car accidents every year than there are by the family pooch! and yet nobody thinks that all cars should be banned or turned into a cube at the scrap yard everytime a kid is injured by one!

So you believe dogs, in confined gardens in housing estates, have the right to bark 24/7 and make people's lives a misery?:rolleyes: Sometimes children killed by motor vehicles are killed accidentally.

However, someone leaving what is essentially a WOLF unfed, uncared for, and unmuzzled.....that ISN'T an accident? It's amazing how far people will go to defend moronic stupidity of the highest order.

The logic you attempt to apply to your argument defies belief.

If a dog isn't left outside, gets plenty of attention and goes for regular walks I don't see why it should be able to live in a house with a smaller garden. lots of dogs also get taken for runs in the woods, at the beach etc. However, if someone leaves their dog in a small garden, isolated and unexcersized, where the dog has to bark constantly trying to get attention or relieve boredom, then IMO the dog should be taken off them!

and dog's have been domesticated for thousands of years, wolves are wild.
    If a dog is unfed and uncared for, that is cruelty to animals, but it doesn't mean the dog will turn into a savage...... I don't get your logic either? unfed = vicious?

And why should all dogs be muzzled even if they have never shown any aggression?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

So you believe dogs, in confined gardens in housing estates, have the right to bark 24/7 and make people's lives a misery?:rolleyes: Sometimes children killed by motor vehicles are killed accidentally.

However, someone leaving what is essentially a WOLF unfed, uncared for, and unmuzzled.....that ISN'T an accident? It's amazing how far people will go to defend moronic stupidity of the highest order.

The logic you attempt to apply to your argument defies belief.

Where is this unfed uncared for 'wolf' then?

My dog is an Alsatian, she barks at passers by our house from inside the gate. she is letting me know there is someone there and she is defendign her territory. She is none of the things you mentioned. I would also like to know where all these children you mentioned are being savaged and mutilated etc?

I think most of us on here as responsible dog owners find the tone of your posts a little offputting and its clear from them that you obviously have an inherent dislike of dogs and that's normally not that well received here. Naturally you are entitled to your opinion but I'd wager that most of the regular posters on this section of the boards would be a lot more informed when it comes to dogs and their care and it may make sense for you to listen to what people are saying and maybe take it on board.

Thank you.

~Thalia~ wrote: »
    Where is this unfed uncared for 'wolf' then?

My dog is an Alsatian, she barks at passers by our house from inside the gate. she is letting me know there is someone there and she is defendign her territory. She is none of the things you mentioned. I would also like to know where all these children you mentioned are being savaged and mutilated etc?

I think most of us on here as responsible dog owners find the tone of your posts a little offputting and its clear from them that you obviously have an inherent dislike of dogs and that's normally not that well received here. Naturally you are entitled to your opinion but I'd wager that most of the regular posters on this section of the boards would be a lot more informed when it comes to dogs and their care and it may make sense for you to listen to what people are saying and maybe take it on board.

Thank you.

For your information I care for two separate breeds of dogs on a regular basis. Unlike some of the 'regular posters' you mention I seem to care for them a little bit better. This barking of your dog - how long does it go on for? Is it day/night or both? Have you spared a thought for people on shiftwork who may not be able to sleep because of it?

The problem here is that people seem to be more wrapped up in their dog's lives and are oblivious to the impact of the behaviour of both them and their 'pets' on others.

Here's some obviously 'responsible' owners:

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/Boy-savaged-by-bull-mastiff.3591589.jp?CommentPage=2&CommentPageLength=10

http://homework.blogs.ie/2007/08/

What about this one Peasant?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/when-children-laughing-at-play-began-to-scream-695604.html

And while these are not in Ireland these reports are testament to the 'Little Man With The Big Dog' mentality so prevelant here:

http://www.workingpitbull.com/fatalbook.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

For your information I care for two separate breeds of dogs on a regular basis. Unlike some of the 'regular posters' you mention I seem to care for them a little bit better.

Well then, Freddie 59, if you do care for dogs on a regular basis and do it "better" than everybody else...

Why don't you let the poeple here partake in some of your wisdom and experience to be better carers of their dogs instead of going off on a rant and posting horror stories?

Don't you think that you could be much more helpful to people (and dogs! ) that way?

What breeds of dog's do you care for? And what makes you think that you are ''better'' at caring for dog's than anyone else on this board? A little arrogant and a bit of a sweeping statement, don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

For your information I care for two separate breeds of dogs on a regular basis. Unlike some of the 'regular posters' you mention I seem to care for them a little bit better. This barking of your dog - how long does it go on for? Is it day/night or both? Have you spared a thought for people on shiftwork who may not be able to sleep because of it?

The problem here is that people seem to be more wrapped up in their dog's lives and are oblivious to the impact of the behaviour of both them and their 'pets' on others.

Here's some obviously 'responsible' owners:

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/Boy-savaged-by-bull-mastiff.3591589.jp?CommentPage=2&CommentPageLength=10

http://homework.blogs.ie/2007/08/

What about this one Peasant?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/when-children-laughing-at-play-began-to-scream-695604.html

And while these are not in Ireland these reports are testament to the 'Little Man With The Big Dog' mentality so prevelant here:

http://www.workingpitbull.com/fatalbook.htm

What breeds do you care for on a regular basis?

I'm fortunate enough not to have to 'spare a thought for' people on shift work because I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have any close neighbours.

You appear to have an axe to grind in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Classic drama here, a thread starts off with a German Shepard barking and half way through you get this!!
    Your belittling of the comment on children is nothing short of scandalous. I'm assuming you do not have children yourself.

'Problem solved'. What planet are you on? Have you ever even encountered some of these irresponsible owners? Your attitude is the same one that leads to dozens of children being mauled and mutilated each year.

PC gone mad.

save the trildren!

lightening wrote: »
    Classic drama here, a thread starts off with a German Shepard barking and half way through you get this!!

PC gone mad.

save the trildren!

A clone of the others I see.:rolleyes: You'll get sense one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

You'll get sense one day.

Ah, in fairness Freddie, its a dog barking in its garden. No kids being mauled by savage dogs. Your letting your imagination run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

you are always going to have people who don't take care of dogs correctly, who treat them badly, some even train them to be agressive for dog fighting and other awful "sports". If a dog is kept in to small a space, not walked, not feed, and is always barking for attention - then the police should be called, not to put the dog down but to take it away from people who are abusing it.

Banning dogs from housing estates and the like is rubbish. A well looked after family dog is a great addition to any household. Having a pet [dog, cat whatever] is good company for children with learning difficulties, who have trouble making friends, who are shy etc. Its good lesson for them to learn to look after the animal. For the elderly having a dog or cat around is great company for them. My dad past away recently and I live a good hour drive away from me my mum and I worry about her being on her own but she has two dogs [a springer and a dalmation/lab mix] with her. She was told me they have been a great comfort to her when she comes home in the evenings.

I lived in new york for years and loads of people have dogs, big and small ones in apartment blocks there. There are dogs runs all over the city people take their dogs to so they can run around. In the four years I lived there I never heard of a child being attacked in my area by a dog. I'm not saying no child has ever been attacked by a dog in new york but I've never seen the issued raised of banning dogs there.

We have always had dogs and growing up I thought it was odd for a household not to have a dog, or a cat or some sort of pet. My mum is a doctor and when I was young her office was the front half of our house so we always had lots of people in our house. 99% of them were fine but you'd get the 1% of drug addicts come in and cause trouble. one of them climbed our back wall one evening, looking to break in and steal drugs. I was around 5 and playing with my coursin in the garden. When he went to move past us our dog stood in front of him and showed her teeth. She didn't bark, just showed her teeth and stood between him and us at all times. She never moved towards him. The guy freaked and my dad heard him and came out.

We had two dogs when moved from the country into town and we couldn't keep two so we gave one to my uncle who has a farm. Couple of years later my uncle fell and broke his leg very badly while out in the fields. The dog stayed with him, keeping him warm. When it started getting dark, the dog ran to the nearest road and barked and barked until a car stopped, he then showed the people in the car where my uncle was. Dumb beasts my ass.

People who don't grow up with animals I find end up being nervous adults who freak out over the smallest thing. A friend of mine who was never around any animals growing up took her daughter to central park zoo where they have sheep that you can feed. She freaked out when she saw parents giving food to their kids to give the sheep "o my god that animal will eat their hands off" Needless to say her daughter didn't get to feed the sheep.

Sorry this has rambled all over the place but the main point is if a dog is treated correctly, it will be well behaved and no danger to anyone. If you feel a dog is a danger to others speak to the owners. If you think they are abusing the dog, call the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Good luck getting the cops out to an abused dog-it's hard enuff to find a station that's open bless 'em!
    Anyhoo-in fullest agreement about the necessity of bringing kids up with animals.A nervous child is a bitten child..
    Perhaps bitten by the man eating sheep you mention?
    Is there no bottom depth to the ignorance of the Gen Pop?
    A sheep that bites,really...where had that mother been raised-in a bubble?

ztoical wrote: »
    Banning dogs from housing estates and the like is rubbish.

It is the answer. Police will not deal with you regarding neglected or nuisance dogs. You have to go to the Civil Court in order to pursue this. Again, it is amazing to see the attitude displayed towards children (or humans) on this thread in favour of dogs.

Given that you say your Mother is a doctor I thought someone like you would have had more common sense.

No-one will dispute that a well-reared dog will gel with a family. I have done so myself. What we are discussing is idiotic and neglectful "owners" who seem more concerned about their "pets" than their neighbours and do not see the immediate danger to their own families. A juvenile outlook if ever there was one.

If even FURTHER proof was needed:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1298626,00.html

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/pet-rottweiler-mauls-nineweekold-baby-to-death/2007/12/28/1198778704713.html

Pets indeed.:rolleyes: One child dragged from a cot and another from the arms of a child. And we have people here arguing that you needn't worry about an Alsatian barking over a wall which he can easily scale.

Grow up people. And come in to the real world.

Good luck getting the cops out to an abused dog-it's hard enuff to find a station that's open bless 'em!
    Anyhoo-in fullest agreement about the necessity of bringing kids up with animals.A nervous child is a bitten child..
    Perhaps bitten by the man eating sheep you mention?
    Is there no bottom depth to the ignorance of the Gen Pop?
    A sheep that bites,really...where had that mother been raised-in a bubble?

For God's sake man. What planet are you on? Ignorance of the gen pop. Yeah.:rolleyes: Ignorance alright, but not of the gen pop.;)

It is the answer. Police will not deal with you regarding neglected or nuisance dogs. You have to go to the Civil Court in order to pursue this. Again, it is amazing to see the attitude displayed towards children (or humans) on this thread in favour of dogs.

No-one will dispute that a well-reared dog will gel with a family. I have done so myself. What we are discussing is idiotic and neglectful "owners" who seem more concerned about their "pets" than their neighbours and do not see the immediate danger to their own fa,ilies. A juvenile outlook if ever there was one.

If even FURTHER proof was needed:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1298626,00.html

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/pet-rottweiler-mauls-nineweekold-baby-to-death/2007/12/28/1198778704713.html

Pets indeed.:rolleyes: One child dragged from a cot and another from the arms of a child. And we have people here arguing that you needn't worry about an Alsatian barking over a wall which he can easily scale.

Grow up people. And come in to the real world.

first off who lets a seven years carry a one year old around without watching them? The 7 year old had to run upstairs to get the 16 years old? where the hell are the adults? Also who lets a dog wander into a babies room on its own? I'm sorry it is awful to loose a child but its very black and white to simple just blame the dog. The dogs in both cases will most likely be destroyed if they haven't already but those parents should be brought up on charges of child indangerment as well.

honey why are we even bothering with this - you have your veiw and its pretty clear you are not going to alter it and others on this bored have theres and its clear they are not going to change either.

You have linked to examples of dog attacked but I ask you compare the statistics of the number of children attacked by dogs against the actual number of dogs, its the same argument for handguns in the US or having pools or ponds in your garden.

You may have had something happen to your or someone close to make you hold this point of veiw but I've had dogs all my life and have never been hurt by one but I've been mugged in dublin once, and my car broken into twice and a man tired to sexual attack me at a recent music festival [thankfully my friends were near by and stoppped him] So yeah maybe I am biased in favour of dogs but I feel no treat from them.

I've seen first hand the benfit on children with ADHA and other learning difficulties that having a pet has. I've seen dogs helping the blind, deaf and disabled. My neighbour on my housing estate is in a wheel chair, her house has been modified to help her and she has a helper dog to aid her with picking up items and the like - should that dog be banned from the estate?

For God's sake man. What planet are you on? Ignorance of the gen pop. Yeah.:rolleyes: Ignorance alright, but not of the gen pop.;)

I don't belive you read the entire post he was commenting on. It was about a woman freaking out that her child would be mauled by a sheep in the central park petting zoo.

first off who lets a seven years carry a one year old around without watching them? The 7 year old had to run upstairs to get the 16 years old? where the hell are the adults? Also who lets a dog wander into a babies room on its own? I'm sorry it is awful to loose a child but its very black and white to simple just blame the dog. The dogs in both cases will most likely be destroyed if they haven't already but those parents should be brought up on charges of child indangerment as well.

honey why are we even bothering with this - you have your veiw and its pretty clear you are not going to alter it and others on this bored have theres and its clear they are not going to change either.

You have linked to examples of dog attacked but I ask you compare the statistics of the number of children attacked by dogs against the actual number of dogs, its the same argument for handguns in the US or having pools or ponds in your garden.

You may have had something happen to your or someone close to make you hold this point of veiw but I've had dogs all my life and have never been hurt by one but I've been mugged in dublin once, and my car broken into twice and a man tired to sexual attack me at a recent music festival [thankfully my friends were near by and stoppped him] So yeah maybe I am biased in favour of dogs but I feel no treat from them.

I've seen first hand the benfit on children with ADHA and other learning difficulties that having a pet has. I've seen dogs helping the blind, deaf and disabled. My neighbour on my housing estate is in a wheel chair, her house has been modified to help her and she has a helper dog to aid her with picking up items and the like - should that dog be banned from the estate?

There can be exceptions as you have pointed out. These, as had been repeated ad nauseum, are dogs that have repsonsible owners. What we are talking about are idiot owners - those who place dogs above humans in the scheme of things.

Are you one of these?:confused:

I must add that your almost casual dismissal of the deaths of two children beggars belief. Would I be correct in stating that you have no children yourself?

I don't belive you read the entire post he was commenting on. It was about a woman freaking out that her child would be mauled by a sheep in the central park petting zoo.

Yawn.:rolleyes:

There can be exceptions as you have pointed out. These, as had been repeated ad nauseum, are dogs that have repsonsible owners. What we are talking about are idiot owners - those who place dogs above humans in the scheme of things.

Are you one of these?:confused:

I must add that your almost casual dismissal of the deaths of two children beggars belief. Would I be correct in stating that you have no children yourself?

your previous post came across as very damn them all to hell, no one should have dogs so sorry if I have became a little defensive towards that. The vast majority of dog owners out there are good owners who take good care of their dogs.

Its not a causal dismissal at all - i feel very sorry for those parents as they will have to spend the rest of their lives dealing with the aftermath of this. While we sit here and debat back and forth about the dog they will be left with the guilt of "what if I had...." Also the grandparents who owned the dog will feel guilt for the rest of their lives. In the case of the 16 and 7 year old being there those two children will be scared for life. So I feel very sorry for something that doesn't just effect the parents but ripples out and effects many many more.

But its is hard as an outsider to not be judgemental of the situation. We all do it when we read those kind of news reports. When you hear of abuse cases that went on for years, people think how could the parents not know? When you hear of a child shooting itself with a gun, why had the parents the gun around where the child could get at it?

When I read about the 7 year old carrying the one year old out to a dog while the only thing close to an adult is a 16 year old upstairs, yes I do think, where the hell where the parents? There are so many other things that could have happened to that child without the parents there. The 7 year old could have dropped the baby, could have feed it something it shouldn't have, if it could get out into the back garden could he have gone out the front door and wander into the street? Christ at xmas this year my friends 4 year old put a pillow over the new born baby because he was jealous of it, you can never EVER leave a child on its own like that.

And whats with the statment about my having children - is that stating that only those with children can understand and be sympathetic? I had a miscarriage last year so no I don't have children right now.

• Advertisement

this thread has gone a bit off topic. I see the OP hasn't logged into boards since the 11th but I hope they took the earlier advice offered to them and have gone and spoken to the dogs owners about their concerns. I hope that that clears everything up and the issue won't have to go any further.

your previous post came across as very damn them all to hell, no one should have dogs so sorry if I have became a little defensive towards that. The vast majority of dog owners out there are good owners who take good care of their dogs.

Its not a causal dismissal at all - i feel very sorry for those parents as they will have to spend the rest of their lives dealing with the aftermath of this. While we sit here and debat back and forth about the dog they will be left with the guilt of "what if I had...." Also the grandparents who owned the dog will feel guilt for the rest of their lives. In the case of the 16 and 7 year old being there those two children will be scared for life. So I feel very sorry for something that doesn't just effect the parents but ripples out and effects many many more.

But its is hard as an outsider to not be judgemental of the situation. We all do it when we read those kind of news reports. When you hear of abuse cases that went on for years, people think how could the parents not know? When you hear of a child shooting itself with a gun, why had the parents the gun around where the child could get at it?

When I read about the 7 year old carrying the one year old out to a dog while the only thing close to an adult is a 16 year old upstairs, yes I do think, where the hell where the parents? There are so many other things that could have happened to that child without the parents there. The 7 year old could have dropped the baby, could have feed it something it shouldn't have, if it could get out into the back garden could he have gone out the front door and wander into the street? Christ at xmas this year my friends 4 year old put a pillow over the new born baby because he was jealous of it, you can never EVER leave a child on its own like that.

And whats with the statment about my having children - is that stating that only those with children can understand and be sympathetic? I had a miscarriage last year so no I don't have children right now.

I'm sorry (genuinely) to hear that. Rest assured -when you have children your outlook regarding dogs will change radically. Simple reason? Your children will come first. End of story.;)

I'm sorry (genuinely) to hear that. Rest assured -when you have children your outlook regarding dogs will change radically. Simple reason? Your children will come first. End of story.;)

I think I may have been taken up wrong on this whole thing because I've never said that dogs should be put before children - I belive that with alot of these cases of children been attacked by dogs there is a bigger picture to look at. Like this most recent case YES the dog attacked the child, that is awful and the dogs was put down as a result but the parents should be held somewhat responsible for leaving a 1 year old alone. I don't care that there was a 16 and a 7 year old in the house that is not proper supervision for an infant. And I dont belive in painting all dogs with the same brush just because a small few have attacked people.

I actually just got back from a lovely evening with some friends, one has two boys under five and the other is a couple with a 3 year old girl. They had all read the story online and everyone of them was shocked at the fact that a 1 year old was left alone. They listed off a whole heap of things that could have happened to child even if the dog had not been there. Amazingly I, someone without a child, had more sympathy for the parents then these parents did.

And before you ask none of the above parents have dogs, they do have cats and goldfish [no they don't have dogs cus they think its a danger, its related to their job situation at this time]

Anyway I think the mods would argree this thread has gone off topic. there is a thread started for the recent dog attack in england which would be more suited to this line of discussion.

Banning dog's from housing estates isn't the answer, not all mistreated dog's are from the town/suburbs, a lot country dog's don't have an idyllic life skipping around the fields! (they'd probably be shot by a paranoid farmer anyway) country dog's might spend their lives tied up in someones garden or farmyard, locked in a black shed (personal experience of this, a rottweiler locked in a completely dark shed 24/7) or allowed to wander the roads, probably ending up killed someday. (personal experience of this too, one idiot neighbour of mine has lost about 4 dogs by letting them wander and another one because she let the dog get pregnant and when the dog had trouble delivering the pups she never called the vet and mum & pups all died, several other dogs have been killed on my road alone, and cats) there are also probably countless puppies and kittens drowned or whatever. If somebody looks after their dog well, they should be allowed to keep it wherever they live (within reason) It's not that has to change, it's the laws protecting animals that have to change. Dog's mental needs should be taken into account as well as their physical needs, it should be made illegal to leave dog's in a garden or whatever day after day with no exercise, no change of scenery. That would be enough to drive anyone mad, never mind a dog!

As for this recent rottweiler attack, I don't have much experience with kids, but I do know, and I'd say most people know, how much mischief a toddler can get itself into, it's unbelievable that a baby was being looked after by a kid 6 years old than it! I don't like to make up my mind about things until I know the facts, but one theory could be that the dog was kept in the backyard without much contact with people/kids, and the 7 y/o wandered out into the backyard with the baby and the dog attacked. It's proven that dog's that are kept isolated are more likely to be vicious. I'm not saying that's what happened but it could be one scenario.
    Even though the girl was rather stupid for leaving 2 kids alone I still feel sorry for her because she must be feeling unbelievably guilty etc.
    but it's not just dog's that are a danger to kids, what about people that might be out to kidnap kids? as I said before, cars, they can easily pull things on top of themselves, like boiling pans of water or food, pull heavy objects on top of themselves, fall into water, some have even died when their parents have left them alone in a bathtub for a minute to answer the phone or something. you can't say kids will be safe when there aren't dogs around them, because really, how many people are actually killed or seriously injured by dog's every year, compared to being killed/injured by other people or killed in car accidents etc?

Banning dog's from housing estates isn't the answer, not all mistreated dog's are from the town/suburbs, a lot country dog's don't have an idyllic life skipping around the fields! (they'd probably be shot by a paranoid farmer anyway) country dog's might spend their lives tied up in someones garden or farmyard, locked in a black shed (personal experience of this, a rottweiler locked in a completely dark shed 24/7) or allowed to wander the roads, probably ending up killed someday. (personal experience of this too, one idiot neighbour of mine has lost about 4 dogs by letting them wander and another one because she let the dog get pregnant and when the dog had trouble delivering the pups she never called the vet and mum & pups all died, several other dogs have been killed on my road alone, and cats) there are also probably countless puppies and kittens drowned or whatever. If somebody looks after their dog well, they should be allowed to keep it wherever they live (within reason) It's not that has to change, it's the laws protecting animals that have to change. Dog's mental needs should be taken into account as well as their physical needs, it should be made illegal to leave dog's in a garden or whatever day after day with no exercise, no change of scenery. That would be enough to drive anyone mad, never mind a dog!

As for this recent rottweiler attack, I don't have much experience with kids, but I do know, and I'd say most people know, how much mischief a toddler can get itself into, it's unbelievable that a baby was being looked after by a kid 6 years old than it! I don't like to make up my mind about things until I know the facts, but one theory could be that the dog was kept in the backyard without much contact with people/kids, and the 7 y/o wandered out into the backyard with the baby and the dog attacked. It's proven that dog's that are kept isolated are more likely to be vicious. I'm not saying that's what happened but it could be one scenario.
    Even though the girl was rather stupid for leaving 2 kids alone I still feel sorry for her because she must be feeling unbelievably guilty etc.
    but it's not just dog's that are a danger to kids, what about people that might be out to kidnap kids? as I said before, cars, they can easily pull things on top of themselves, like boiling pans of water or food, pull heavy objects on top of themselves, fall into water, some have even died when their parents have left them alone in a bathtub for a minute to answer the phone or something. you can't say kids will be safe when there aren't dogs around them, because really, how many people are actually killed or seriously injured by dog's every year, compared to being killed/injured by other people or killed in car accidents etc?

It's truly staggering the lengths posters are going to here to almost defend the 'poor dog'.:rolleyes: Humans first; animals second. End of story. If you prefer to invert that then you need treatment.

Humans are animals. :) and yes, I think some animals are better than some humans! I'll pick a friendly, harmless dog any day over a troublemaker human which is what plenty of them are! you don't see dog's going around shooting/stabbing people or committing acts of terrorism etc! you only defend humans so much because you are one, but humans aren't all that great, after all, we have managed to pretty much destroy a whole planet which other animals have lived on for millions of years and didn't harm it.

Ok dear mods I'm really sorry if this is seen as attacking someone but I think this post has gone off topic now - maybe its worth locking it.

Freddie59 your posting in the animals and pet forum. Are you really that suprised that no one here is agreeing with you? I'm sure the majority of people posting in this forum are pet owners and responsible ones at that who know how to handle and take care of their pets so that they are not a danger to the general public. I'm also sure alot of them are parents as well. Claiming everyone who posts here againist your veiws is anti-human/pro dog is stupid and getting a bit annoying.

I asked my doctor, a GP of 25 years, how many kids they had seen killed by dogs, the answer zero. They've had the odd kid needing a few stiches but never anything so bad they had to be taken to hospital so its not as common as you think. GP had seen a hell of alot of kids hurt or killed by farm equipment, maybe we should ban machines from farms?

To the other posters - ignore him.

Ok dear mods I'm really sorry if this is seen as attacking someone but I think this post has gone off topic now - maybe its worth locking it.

Freddie59 your posting in the animals and pet forum. Are you really that suprised that no one here is agreeing with you? I'm sure the majority of people posting in this forum are pet owners and responsible ones at that who know how to handle and take care of their pets so that they are not a danger to the general public. I'm also sure alot of them are parents as well. Claiming everyone who posts here againist your veiws is anti-human/pro dog is stupid and getting a bit annoying.

I asked my doctor, a GP of 25 years, how many kids they had seen killed by dogs, the answer zero. They've had the odd kid needing a few stiches but never anything so bad they had to be taken to hospital so its not as common as you think. GP had seen a hell of alot of kids hurt or killed by farm equipment, maybe we should ban machines from farms?

To the other posters - ignore him.

Head in the sand my friend. Ignore the problem and it will go away. How childish. The only ones I 'claimed' (as YOU put it) that were 'anti-human/pro-dog' (your phraseology again) are those - like you - who are trying, in some way, to rationalise the deaths of two innocent children as being someway dismissible (even though you don't realise it) because you feel the 'poor dog' has - by some twisted logic - been put in a position where he had no other option.

These beasts, Rottweilers, Alsatians, et al have no place in a modern, densely packed housing development populated by a large amount of children.

And regarding my posting in the Animals & Pet Forum - so what? Are we not to dare to voice an opinion that appears 'anti-dog/pet/whatever'? Especially when two children have been mauled to death by these so-called 'pets'? That's called censorship, and, should this be practiced, then it's a sad day for society in general.

Much noise is made of the fact that 'animals do not have a voice'. Neither do some children. You'd do well to remember it.

Humans are animals. :) and yes, I think some animals are better than some humans! I'll pick a friendly, harmless dog any day over a troublemaker human which is what plenty of them are! you don't see dog's going around shooting/stabbing people or committing acts of terrorism etc! you only defend humans so much because you are one, but humans aren't all that great, after all, we have managed to pretty much destroy a whole planet which other animals have lived on for millions of years and didn't harm it.

Well, my friend, after a statement like that I can only feel pity for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Freddy, "my friend" ...other than your "humans first" mantra, do you actually have a proposal?

Like ban/kill all dogs? Only certain dogs? All dogs in certain areas? Certain dogs in certain areas?

Or what?

Your repetitive ranting is getting very tiresome ...post something other than polemics for a change ...like a constructive idea of what you think should be done and how.

And then you still owe me an answer as to what dogs those are that you claim to care for occasionally ...please elaborate as to kind of dog and care arrangements, specifying your particular living arrangements (estate or not) as well please :D

or else ...just shut up

Advertisement