Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No connection or limited ??? HELP

Options
  • 10-12-2007 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

Hi there all you helpful people. :)

I installed zonealarm the other day and 2 days after my internet stopped. (Smart working fine with laptop) Cable ok as checked with friends laptop. deinstalled network card driver & reinstalled with no joy. Knowing I needed a clean slate I installed vista again but problem still there. Can a virus infect card? did I change a setting maybe? Can I reset to factor setting? I should not have to input ISP info etc for it to work. day of my life gone here. Can any one help. Windows help brings me round in no network (No help) over & over. I know you need more info what can I do?

Many Thanks Gary

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

gar32 wrote: »
    Hi there all you helpful people. :)

I installed zonealarm the other day and 2 days after my internet stopped. (Smart working fine with laptop) Cable ok as checked with friends laptop. deinstalled network card driver & reinstalled with no joy. Knowing I needed a clean slate I installed vista again but problem still there. Can a virus infect card? did I change a setting maybe? Can I reset to factor setting? I should not have to input ISP info etc for it to work. day of my life gone here. Can any one help. Windows help brings me round in no network (No help) over & over. I know you need more info what can I do?

Many Thanks Gary

Are you using DHCP or static addressing? Can you ping the router or anything outside the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Check that your firewall is not blocking svhost.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

OK things getting worse now. I can't ping yet says limited access with yellow warning over network icon on bottom right. How do I get svhost running? And why did it not start in 1st place? It has to be setting in PC some where I don't mind reseting to factory if that is easiest. Many thanks lads for reply :)

Hoping I see improvement today before I have to pay someone to fix it. Many thanks :)

p.s. just see that time did not keep up when pc was off last night? could a battery be gone inside that keeps that info? Thanks again.

Working hard here to get web back. I have a VIA Rhine II Ethernet adapter. Says Unidentified network but working properly??

I even added usb driver but it connected but no web pages would come up. Has to be setting some where? The repair on the network just keeps saying cable not connected or problem with router yet its connected to unidentified network. Help madness setting in here!!!

Svhost if it is blocked, is blocked by your firewall.

Madness I found 5 pages of issue like this for vista PC's & many people use different ways to fix it. I got internet conected again but its supper slow & I think it is the svhost program. Its not working when I use task manager its not listed. I tried to start it. Does anyone know where I can download vista svhost for dual core ?? will serach in mean time. Thank you people. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

gar32 wrote: »
    Madness I found 5 pages of issue like this for vista PC's & many people use different ways to fix it. I got internet conected again but its supper slow & I think it is the svhost program. Its not working when I use task manager its not listed. I tried to start it. Does anyone know where I can download vista svhost for dual core ?? will serach in mean time. Thank you people. :rolleyes:

Svhost is built into windows. Its a service that will start when windows does unless you disabled it. If this service is your problem than its just your firewall that is stopping it from accessing the network.

svhost does not start as normal you can see it when you use task manager. I have also turned off fire wall to see if that was the problem but it does not work. I am using vista fire wall that I reinstalled so should work as you say. when I turned pc on last night it would not conect to internet at all so I am back to square one. I think another day of my life will be wasted next time I am off work. Any how thanks you :)

I will keep trying. ENjoy :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

We also had issues with an external firewall in vista, when we went back to using the vista firewall, the problems have disappeared. Aparently the vista firewall has a lot of improvements in it and our network people said to just operate with it alone.

the only thing running is a fresh vista install nothing else yet I have the same problem as before I installed it. Could it be a network card problem? I have delelted driver & let windows reinstall it. Getting a friend to look at it later. Maybe he can help. many thanks people of the board :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

From what I remember there was a difference between the type of network, public and private, that was used. You might try changing the network to public and see what happens.

• Advertisement

I got a loan of a network ehternet card from a friend to try. after installing it. I switched on the pc. After not finding driver I was thinking maybe I can download a 90kb slow rate using old ethernet card in pc. (Its on mother board) the installing of the other card must have reset some setting or something as it work right away. google ok it work. Then search google internet speed test. bang back to 4MBPS happy days. Thanks you all for helping me past a week without the web. Life is back to normal. :):):):)

Advertisement