Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of this situation

• 10-12-2007 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I have a bachelors degree, masters( 1 year taught, 1 year research) and currently pursuing a PhD. All degrees are based in the same general domain. Undergrad was done in different college from post grad degrees.

I am (always was considered) very enthusiastic about the area in which I study/work. Undergrad went very well and I walked out with a good degree. I didn't understand much about postgrads, but since I wanted to continue in academia, all I knew at the time is that a Masters came after a Bachelors degree and that was that.

My Masters Experience
    So I started a Masters (as above) and during my 1st year of study was asked to join a research project. Joining this satisfied a module of my 1st year study for my Masters. However based on my skills from my undergrad I was useful to this research project and assigned tasks. I became very well integrated in to this research project and found out that other research students on the project were funded and carrying out the exact same work as I. Initially I thought this to be very unfair, and I was under pressure because I had the headache of exams also. I complained but was told it was necessary by my assigned supervisor (it was his project). So I motored on, and during the summer months I was paid to continue working on the project while the rest of my class went away for the summer. I was happy to do it at the time because it saved me looking for a summer job. However when they paid me, they got me to fill out a form as an assistant tutor/lecturer, so they could put me through the books. So again this annoyed me because I felt that I was not being recognized by my University in the role that I had now found myself in. So I passed my exams with honors, and continued in to my 2nd "research" year. The course coordinator (not my supervisor) told me that I needed a solid research topic. My supervisor insisted that the work I was carrying out (not research based, more project task based) would satisfy this "research" requirement and not to worry. As time passed I became more concerned that the work I was carrying out was not suitable to be published as a thesis. So at the last minute my supervisor told me to write an account of the work I had been doing, and map it to a thesis template he gave me. I did eventually do this after him putting off my submission date by 3 months so I could continue working on his project (again I was paid for this, very little might I add, and again under the guise of an assistant tutor). The course coordinator at many stages told me that I had no research done, and my supervisor would not meet with him to argue this point. So I was very worried indeed. In the end I was awarded my Masters degree based on my contribution to the project, but if you ask me my Thesis is a joke and nothing I'm proud of. It was let through because the head of my Dept. was also affiliated with the project.

My PhD Experience
    While I was doing my Masters I wanted to go on to do a PhD and do some real research instead of mucking around with silly projects. I had a topic in mind but needed a mentor to bounce ideas around with. When I finished my Masters my supervisor continued to pay me (still under the guise of a assistant tutor), while I waited around the University trying to find a supervisor and funding to start a PhD. I heard that another member of the same research group as my Master's supervisor had received funding for a new research project and was looking for students. So I contacted him and asked him would he be interested to take me on as a funded PhD student with a focus in my area of interest. He said "No", but that he was looking for someone to employ on a contract basis (as a research assistant) and that the job was mine if I wanted it. I accepted, because the money would have been as good as anywhere else outside of the college and I could still stay in the loop and have my ear out of anything positive on the PhD front. Just before I was about to start working, we were about to start negotiating my contract rates, the same head of the Dept. contacted me and said he would allow me join my new supervisors project as a funded PhD student. I said great, but as long as I got to do my research and no be treated as a contracted employee. He said I needed to discuss that with my new supervisor but that there was plenty of scope as it was a new project. So I joined the project, and met my new supervisor and he was taken back somewhat that I was saying "Look I'm a PhD student, so I'm not here as an employee". I started doing task work on his project and I was paid PhD funding wages (which is not a lot, much less than contract employee rates, thats for sure). As time passed I was reffered from supervisor to supervisor associated with the project trying to find common grounds for which I could carry out research. I spent over 1 year doing this. Then I started to apply to funding agencies myself to try and start my own project, while at the same time still working on my supervisors project for PhD student pay. After 1 unsuccessful attempt, I finally managed to attract significant funding in to the college and my own project. My supervisor was overjoyed and as you can imagine everyone wanted to be my friend then!. So finally after 2 years and 4 months in to my PhD I finally got to start my research, but my funding would only last 12 months. I felt very annoyed with the University and some people I have been associated with for really not making an effort on my own behalf. My supervisor was never interested in what I was interested in, but at the same time did not want to let me go because of the work I was doing for him. I was scared to move because I was afraid I would miss an opportunity. For family reasons I could not move away to another place, so that was not an option.

So here I am now 9 months in to my project. It has been going well, but I have seen my supervisor 3 times in that time. He went on a "temporary sabbatical" but didn't tell me. The secretary in the Dept. told me this. I brought it up when I met with him recently and he told me that I have to be at my desk every day and that it is not me who is in a position to do any chasing or insisting he should be available (he even went abroad lecturing short-term during this time without telling me). Again I'm not sure but I don't think he should be allowed do this.

So to be honest. I want out. My funding will run out in a few months, I've made progress and I've done some research, but I have no help whatsoever. Just a few fellow postgraduate friends who either know or have experienced similar (in the same boat as I). All my supervisor seems interested in, is how many publications can I get with his name on them, and how much money can I attract in to the college while affiliated with him. His actions have never deviated from either of those.

So now I've lost all interest with academia. I feel as though it's just a load of people stabbing each other in the back and one-up-man-ship all the time. At times I think you will find more maturity in a kids playground than the mind game politics that exists here at times.

So right now I'm taking actions to secure myself employment behind my supervisors back and when my funding runs out I'm going to say "Goodbye" (if I can find him in his office, that is).

What do you think of my experience overall?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

ve wrote: »

What do you think of my experience overall?

Atypical. What is the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Based on my experience doing a PhD, that sounds absolutely soul-destroying. A PhD can be sole-destroying enough on its own, with a good supervisor. I would say at this stage, you have invested so much time and effort that you need to push on through, and then get out of dodge, with a PhD under your arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Sounds terrible. I am near the end of my PhD and am very lucky with my supervisor, director of the PhD programme and the external advisor.

As far as I know you can change your supervisor if he/she does not take an interest in your research. Have you discussed the matter with the director of your PhD programme? There should be guidlines in place for certain matters concerning supervision of your PhD. Have a look what your Uni has printed as guideline. I know mine has a published policy.

I would not throw in the towel if the problem is the supervisor. Check out the possibilities of getting another supervisor who has an interest in your research area.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Seen as you don't mention it - do you have anything like a doctoral studies panel or secondary supervisor you could talk to?

That's an awful situation. Makes me realise how lucky I am that I get on so well with my supervisor, and she's always around as well if I'm looking for her. I'd probably advise moving on or trying to write up what you've done as a second masters. Then start a PhD elsewhere in the area with totally different people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Were you actually registered as a Ph.D. student, or were you always on the books as a research assistant? Your college should have supervision and progress guidelines, you should check these out.

Ultimately, though, you should just knuckle down and get it finished. Reading between the lines, you seem to be extremely picky about your research field (multiple propective supervisors etc.) - pick the most viable one at the moment. From your masters and undergrad you clearly have the skills to do this, and the lack of supervison needn't be a major obstacle (see the other supervision thread). Stand up and plan your own work - it's your name on the thesis.

Academia can be a vicious environment, especially if funding is unsure, so your supervisor's 'paper factory' isn't unusual. Supervisors are under no obligation to be at your beck and call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Thats awful. I'm at Master's level and i'm in almost exactly the same situation (I have a thread just below this on the board). However the project I was involved with has nothing to do with my research, did it pretty much as a (albeit paid) favour. Now that its over it seems my supervisor couldn't care less.

I would like to stay in academia, but like you its seems a minefield of a sector. Not all bad though, as i've met academics from around Ireland, UK and Europe that were fascinating and helpful people. You'll always get the few though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »

I would say at this stage, you have invested so much time and effort that you need to push on through, and then get out of dodge, with a PhD under your arm.

If I may be permitted to be a bit anal.........economic theory would regard this investment of time and effort as a "sunk cost" i.e. it can never be retrieved no matter what you do, and that allowing it to influence the decision is a classical bad decision-making.

Human emotions are a different matter of course. I'd lose that supervisor as quickly as possible anyway.

Advertisement