Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question re: speeding and company cars.

Options
  • 10-12-2007 8:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

A good few weeks ago I was travelling northbound on the M50 and saw the cam flash in my rear view mirror as I went past; those fúckers are bright aren't they!:)

Anyhow, I was blatantly speeding, maybe doing 80km/hr in a 60 zone and if I recall correctly there were no other cars around me so I was definitely caught.

The thing is, I was driving a company car at the time, I have since left the company AND in a couple of weeks I will be leaving the country for a year.

So, what happens here? The address I live at for the moment is not the address I have listed with the company. Although it is the address on my license.

I'm just unsure what happens if I’m not around to accept the points/pay a fine/go to court etc.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

My guess:
    Company will get a fine/letter to pay or else name the driver of the car. (I think if they don't name the driver the company director or secretary gets the points. Could be wrong). The company will, presumably, send your details back to the cops who will then send the fine and points notification to your address (the one they have for you). After the 30(?) days are up and you haven't paid your fine and taken your points a summons will be issued for your appointed day in court. When you don't show up you will probably be fined and have 4 points applied in your absence. When you don't pay the fine you may end up with a bench warrant and be in deeper doo doo if/when you next encounter the Gardai.

Or, this being Ireland, you might get away scot free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

milltown wrote: »
    Or, this being Ireland, you might get away scot free.

Fingers crossed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

a lad at work was filling up one of the vans with deisel and went thru a camera in lucan. Work pulled the reciept for the desiel and sent his details to the cops. so my guess is they will send your last known details off and you will get a nice letter form the stealth tax collectors.... sorry the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well, assuming it had film in it (they still flash if they are empty just to scare you) the company will inform the cops who was driving at the time (as best they can).

a letter will be sent to the address on your licence (the company should have your licence no. on file for insurance etc. if you're using one of their cars) and if you don't respond to the letter you will get a court date and be convicted of the crime if you are not there and points and fine added to your licence.

if the fine is paid then points go away after 3 years, but if the fine is unpaid they will stay there until it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

vibe666 wrote: »
    well, assuming it had film in it

We're still using film??????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

milltown wrote: »
    After the 30(?) days are up and you haven't paid your fine and taken your points a summons will be issued for your appointed day in court.

You have 28 days to pay the fine. If you do not pay the fine, you have a further 28 days to pay the fine which is increased by 150%. If you do not pay by this stage, you will be summonsed to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If they don't catch up with you the director of the company is responsible, and will inherit your points

So you can be sure that your company will assist in this case.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you hoping to get a good job reference from the company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

crosstownk wrote: »
    You have 28 days to pay the fine. If you do not pay the fine, you have a further 28 days to pay the fine which is increased by 150%. If you do not pay by this stage, you will be summonsed to court.

You have 28 Days from when you receive the Ticket to pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

We have a van in our company that is used by many people. About 12 months ago a speeding fine came in, with a section on it to fill in the drivers details.

The company secretary sent back a cheque and a note to say that it was not known who was driving at the time and there was no way of finding out.

A week or two later the fine, cheque, and note were returned. Also a letter saying that the company MUST name the driver. This was just ignored and nothing was ever heard about it again.

The same thing happened about 9 months ago.

Take what you like from that story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

prospect wrote: »
    A week or two later the fine, cheque, and note were returned. Also a letter saying that the company MUST name the driver. This was just ignored and nothing was ever heard about it again

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing, prospect. You'd wonder were the legislators so stupid they did not foresee this loophole and closed it? Probably not :D

Mmm, interesting.

Well, my parents address is on my licence so if anything is sent then they'll get it. Do i have to pay the fine myself or can my mother do it for me? There's no way in hell i'd fly back just to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Mmm, interesting.

Well, my parents address is on my licence so if anything is sent then they'll get it. Do i have to pay the fine myself or can my mother do it for me? There's no way in hell i'd fly back just to do that.

From memory anyone can do - I think you can even pay over the phone by credit card! (:) It's a few years since I've had to do this!)

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Mmm, interesting.

How are they getting your license details ... ?

craichoe wrote: »
    How are they getting your license details ... ?
    From my last employer, or so i thought? They photocopied my licence when i was given the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

prospect wrote: »
    The company secretary sent back a cheque and a note to say that it was not known who was driving at the time and there was no way of finding out.
    This raises important H&S issues.

If the company can be shown to be negligent or complicit in hazardous behaviour of staff, it could be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm not sure how it goes here, but it used to be the case in the UK that if you swore that you didn't know who was driving and paid the fine they couldn't give you the points because technically they could be seen as punishing someone for a crime they did not commit. of course lying about it is fraudulent, but they would have to prove that you did know who was driving and that you lied about it. probably quite hard to do.

i actually heard a story that if the 2 holes in the back of the camera (UK camera's, not sure about here) were covered then the camera was not operating. i was told a fairly convincing story to back this up, so me and my mates decided to test it one evening.

needless to say we were very mistaken and I got a double flash from the camera as we went past. unfortunately I wasn't able to use the "i don't know who was driving at the time" defence since all 4 pairs of our eyes showed up like cats eyes staring right at the camera through the rear window in the photo that was accompanying the fine. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm not sure how it goes here, but it used to be the case in the UK that if you swore that you didn't know who was driving and paid the fine they couldn't give you the points because technically they could be seen as punishing someone for a crime they did not commit. of course lying about it is fraudulent, but they would have to prove that you did know who was driving and that you lied about it. probably quite hard to do.
    Wasn't there a couple in the UK who booked flights to Romania to try to prove they were out side the country at the time and to get someone else to pay. Can't remember the exact details but the point was they got done and the prosecution went to quite a bit of trouble to prove they lied.

Advertisement