Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade O2 Pay Monthly customer without their knowledge?

• 10-12-2007 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭

So my father is on an O2 Pay Monthly and has had the same phone for about 3 years now. He refuses to change phones because it fits his car-kit... even though it's falling apart!

So i was thinking of upgrading him to a new phone for Christmas.. he has a pretty hefty bill at times so for all i know, they'll upgrade him to a new phone for free! They'd be doing him a favour! :D

But anyways, can i upgrade him without his knowledge?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Legally, only the account holder can upgrade the phone. If you managed to get his password for O2.ie, he could get an upgrade.

You could buy him a speakeasy phone and use his sim in that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers jahalpin.

Might run it by him so.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If you use a bill paying upgrade you need his signature on an upgrade form or else they wont do it as it extends the contract by a year.

A prepay phone will work though

Yeah.. was thinking about a speakeasy but it's a bit of waste of good credit! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If you or someone else has a Speakeasy they can receive the credit and you can give the phone to your Dad. However it still seems better for him to use his upgrade potential.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    If you or someone else has a Speakeasy they can receive the credit and you can give the phone to your Dad. However it still seems better for him to use his upgrade potential.
    I thought they send the credit to the number in the upgrade every month.. don't think they'd allow you to change it, would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Go along to the shop, buy a speakeasy phone, say apply the credit to 086xxxxxxx, and leave with the phone in a box. Wrap phone in wrapping paper with snowmen on it and leave under tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

when buying the speakeasy phone, make sure to say you want an upgrade pack. If they won't register you in store, go to the o2 site, log in using the number you want the credit to go to, find the option to register an upgrade and enter the serial number (imei) of the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Much appreciated lads.

Will give it a shot.

• Advertisement

Can i buy the Speakeasy upgrade as they're typically cheaper than they are in the shop?

I've added an upgrade to my cart and haven't been asked for my O2 mobile number or anything like that.

PS - reminds me to find out what his current phone is as anything larger or smaller won't really fit in his holder in his car-kit! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You don't need any proof of ownership or anything to buy a Speakeasy upgrade so this is probably why you haven't been asked for a mobile number.

As for buying a phone for your dad without his knowledge - why not tell him you're getting him a phone and try arange to have him go into the shop with you to sign the paperwork - then ask the guy to hang onto it and you come back and pick a phone for him the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Speakeasy range is limited, using his upgrade would give more options and cost less allowing free cash for accessories he may need.

I am though!
    True enough.. but he's too stubborn to actually go in and change it. And besides, he wouldn't need a fancy one. He's barely mastered text messaging yet! :)

Advertisement