Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Black/Death/Grind Metal Discussion

• 10-12-2007 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Does anybody else on these forums like these two genres of metal. I'm quite a fan of these genres personally. My favorite bands from these genres are...

Black:

Emperor
    Xasthur
    Mütiilation
    Vlad Tepes
    Wolves In The Throne Room
    Ulver
    Mayhem
    Nachtmystium
    Judas Iscariot
    Beherit
    Burzum
    Sargiest
    Luker of Chalice
    Leviathan (US)

Death(All sub-genres):

Entombed
    Autopsy
    Death
    Obituary
    Atheist
    Necrophagist
    Brodequin
    Nihilist
    Masscra
    Suffocation
    later Carcass
    At The Gates
    early In Flames
    early Arch Enemy

Grind (Grindcore, Goregrind, etc.)

Napalm Death
    Warsore
    Repulsion
    Last Days of Humanity
    Disgorge (Mexico)
    early Carcass
    Terrorizer
    Rot

So if you like these two genres discuss em hear.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

That's a very wide variety of both black and death. Did you do that on purpose?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im surprised to see on your desth metal list that theres no cannibal corpse
    and no CRYPTOPSY,but then again I suspose there not everyones cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

this year has been great for Black Metal. there were loads of quality albums from a genre who a lot consider has nothing to offer anymore.

The Mayhem album has grown on me considerably.
    Marduk have brought out there best album ever with Rom 5:12.
    Watain released a very commendable album.
    Deathspell Omega continued their rise as one of the most important black metal bands around with Fas.
    Blut Aus Nord released another album of tortured twisted sounds, Odinist.

i listened to a lot Drudkh this year and i would rank them as one of my favourite black metal bands out there. they are definitely filling a hole left by Burzum in my eyes.

The only DM releases that interested me this year that I can recall offhand are the new Drawn & Quartered and Fleshcrawl's latest. On the BM side, Peste Noire almost lived up to my high expectations and Mütiilation's first release with a drummer was solid as hell.

I still haven't heard Estrangement, which I must get around to doing soon, and it seems as though Blut Aus Nord are continuing their downward trend into mediocrity. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

silverwing wrote: »
    two genres

Surely that's three, no?

I would say I've been a big fan of Black Metal, but lately haven't bothered with the genre, I think I've just grown away from it. I loved bands like Emperor, Enslaved, Immortal and other such bands, but there's not been much to really capture my interests there lately at all.

Death Metal, huge fan, but I've just not been listening to much newer stuff either. Gojira, Akercocke and Nile's latest albums would be about it, other than that it's been more classic stuff.

I guess I've just not been buying anywhere near as many CDs as I used to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 silverwing

neGev wrote: »
    That's a very wide variety of both black and death. Did you do that on purpose?

I just simply listed the bands to state what bands I was into or really liked. Besides that there was no other motives.
    Surely that's three, no?

I originally meant for the thread to soley to be about black and death metal. However, at the last minute, I added Grind into the mix. I must of forgot to edit it. My bad. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 silverwing

Anyways, on a general note, I'm glad to see I'm not the only fan of these genres here! :)

silverwing wrote: »
    Anyways, on a general note, I'm glad to see I'm not the only fan of these genres here! :)

I think there's a good representation of all genres here.

I guess I've just not been buying anywhere near as many CDs as I used to.
    Impeach! :D
    I would say I've been a big fan of Black Metal, but lately haven't bothered with the genre, I think I've just grown away from it.
    Try Peste Noire's La Sanie des siècles - Panégyrique de la dégénérescence and Blut Aus Nord's Ultima Thulée. If you don't like either of those, I'll eat my hat.
    At the very least, have a listen to Forefather - epic BM from the UK without the shrieking vocals. Think Iron Maiden playing black metal. :P

Impeach! :D

You just try it! :p
    Try Peste Noire's La Sanie des siècles - Panégyrique de la dégénérescence and Blut Aus Nord's Ultima Thulée. If you don't like either of those, I'll eat my hat.
    At the very least, have a listen to Forefather - epic BM from the UK without the shrieking vocals. Think Iron Maiden playing black metal. :P

None of those bands really do anything for me at all. I thought Forefather were absolutely abysmal. I think the last Black Metal band to really capture my interest was Negura Bunget, now they are fantastic.

You have to take into account that I'm coming from a more progressive point of view, and being a huge fan of Emperor, Enslaved, Immortal, Dissection, Arcturus, Sigh and so forth. I've checked out a lot of more recent bands, but honestly, I rarely hear anything I like.

I did like some of the more Industrial themed bands, like Aborym and Red Harvest though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I think the last Black Metal band to really capture my interest was Negura Bunget, now they are fantastic.

OM was unbelievable. was in my top 3 last year with drudkh blood in our wells and celtic frost monotheist

None of those bands really do anything for me at all.
    Which Peste Noire and Blut Aus Nord have you listened to? Blut Aus Nord material since TWWTG has contained a lot of industrial elements, so much so that I really don't like it overly. So you probably would ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I much prefer the older black metal-emperor,mayhem,darkthrone etc.
    I think alot of the newer stuff is trying to recapture what they missed out on although some aint too bad at all.
    As for death metal - I love some of the newer bands esp decapitated,nile and impaled but as KH said its mostly the old school I would listen to - cannibal corpse,obituary,death,grave etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Check out Zyklon, great death metal band if you ask me ! Listen to the Pestilence album "Testimony of the Ancients" thats pretty good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Never been into Black metal, but I do love the odd bit of death and I'm always looking for more. Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, Entombed and lately Gojira would be among my most listened to.

Actually, funnily enough, I discovered Gojira by accident. I saw them mentioned here and said to myself 'Oh yeah, Dino Cazares' band, I never really listened to them' (thinking of Brujeria) so I went looking on YouTube and found 'Heaviest Matter of the Universe' which absolutely blew me away. So for a few days I listened to them thinking they were Brujeria, until I noticed everybody calling them French and thought...'wait a minute, I thought these guys were Mexicans!'

Anyway, finally clicked...best accidental discovery ever :o

Which Peste Noire and Blut Aus Nord have you listened to? Blut Aus Nord material since TWWTG has contained a lot of industrial elements, so much so that I really don't like it overly. So you probably would ;)

I had The Work Which Transforms God, wasn't gone on it at all, and not sure what Peste Noire, but I hated them. I wouldn't be running out to hear the latest Blut Aus Nord either though, so while I said some of the stuff with industrial elements I thought was good, there's been other things like Axis of Perdition that I didn't like at all.

Sorry man, but on the whole, I think Black Metal just doesn't appeal to me at all any more, so I seriously doubt there's going to be anything you can suggest that I'm going to enjoy. Mind you, there's always going to be the odd band that suprise me, like Negura Bunget, but I've really given up on the genre as a whole.

If you can recommend something along the lines of Enslaved and Negura Bunget, or like Emperor's Promethius (Which I think is one of the greatest albums ever created) then I'll probably check it out, but most of the bands you mention just aren't for me.

Ikuinen Kaamos' The Forlorn is all I can think of offhand. Not my cup of tea, but you might find it interesting. I presume you've heard Agalloch? In fact, I'm almost sure you have, but Agalloch fanboys usually can't shut the hell up about them, which is why I ask. :p

Aside from all that, was it just me, or was 2007 a pretty poor year for black/death?

Ikuinen Kaamos' The Forlorn is all I can think of offhand. Not my cup of tea, but you might find it interesting. I presume you've heard Agalloch? In fact, I'm almost sure you have, but Agalloch fanboys usually can't shut the hell up about them, which is why I ask. :p

Listening to Ikuinen Kaamos now. Not great, but I'm not hating it. ;)

I've heard of Agalloch, and enjoyed what I heard of theirs, but never got around to getting one of their CDs.
    Aside from all that, was it just me, or was 2007 a pretty poor year for black/death?

Well, there was the new Nile and Akercocke albums, and there was Dimmu Borgir's latest, if you're so inclined. Probably not amazing, but there was a few good albums. Oh yeah, and Sigh's Hangman's Hymn, if you really consider them Black Metal at all any more.

Listening to Ikuinen Kaamos now. Not great, but I'm not hating it. ;)
    I'll count that as a win! :D
    Well, there was the new Nile and Akercocke albums, and there was Dimmu Borgir's latest, if you're so inclined. Probably not amazing, but there was a few good albums. Oh yeah, and Sigh's Hangman's Hymn, if you really consider them Black Metal at all any more.
    To summarise the year for me, even though I'm not at home right now, so I'll probably forget quite a few releases:

The Good
    Necros Christos -Triune Impurity Rites (Great death/doom)
    Immolation - Shadows in the Light (Good return to form)
    Rotting Christ - Theogonia (Not bad at all, I rather enjoyed it)
    Forgotten Tomb - Negative Megalomania
    Fleshcrawl - Structures of Death (Only got this recently. Typical high-quality dödsmetal from a consistently great band. Curious production job though)
    Kroda - Fimbulvinter
    Mütiilation - Sorrow Galaxies (Willy's first album with a real drummer, and a definite improvement on Rattenkönig)
    Peste Noire - Folk**** Folie
    Drawn And Quartered - Merciless Hammer of Lucifer (Great Immolation worship, but not as good as their previous two or three albums)
    Blood Red Throne - Come Death (I've only heard some pre-production tracks their bassist sent me, but it seems to be along the lines of Altered Genesis)

The Bad
    Nile - Ithyphallic
    Jesu - Conqueror
    Mayhem - Ordo Ab Chao
    Beneath The Massacre - Machanics Of Dysfunction

Ones I'm interested in hearing
    Reverend Bizarre - So Long Suckers
    Sigh - Hangman's Hymn
    Alcest - Souvenirs D'une Autre Monde
    Gospel Of The Horns - Realm Of The Damned
    Shining - V: Halmstad
    Darkestrah - Epos
    Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
    Drudkh - Estrangement
    Necromantia - The Sound of Lucifer Storming Heaven
    Watain - Sworn to the Dark
    Blut Aus Nord - Odinist
    Mithras - Behind the Shadows Lie Madness
    Deathspell Omega - Fas-Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
    Graveland-Will Stronger than Death
    Cage - Hell Destroyer (Not my usual thing, but someone said this is what Iced Earth could have been, so my curiosity has been piqued)
    Blotted Science - The Machinations of Dementia (Again, not my thing, but it's Ron Jarzombek and Alex Webster, so it should be interesting at least)

Yeah, I really need to catch up on a lot. :(

Oh yeah, I forgot about Behind The Shadows Lie Madness. That was very good indeed, not as good as Worlds Beyond The Veil, but that would be a very difficult album to top.

Although it's not a 2007 release, I've been meaning to pick up Zyklon's Disintegrate. From what I've heard, it sounds far better than Aeon.

I wonder will there ever be anything like Emperor's Promethius again?

• Advertisement

I doubt it, seeing as Ihsahn has been on a steady progression away from metal for a goodly length of time now and Samoth is fully engrossed with Zyklon. I did hear there's work being done on an official Emperor DVD though.

As for Disintegrate, I found it worse than Aeon and World ov Worms, although Zyklon never never got me interested in the first place. Too mechanical and soulless.

EDIT:
    If you can recommend something along the lines of Enslaved and Negura Bunget, or like Emperor's Promethius
    I knew my brain wasn't working last night. Have you tried Solefald, Vintersorg and Ved Buens Ende?

Advertisement