Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars we can expect to say goodbye to.

Options
  • 10-12-2007 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Under the new VRT scheme, cars are going to be taxed under emissions rather than engine size, so the big incentive of buying 1.6 litre engines in cars that outgrew 1.6 litre engines in every other country will surley be a distant memory.

I predict that the end is nigh for the following cars:

BMW 316i(Unkel has confirmed that it will be disappearing)
    Toyota Avensis 1.6
    VW Passat 1.6 FSI
    Opel Vectra 1.6

The new Laguna was launched with diesels only, but a 1.6 was meant to be on the way for Spring 08(and was even advertised as being for sale here), so what I'm wondering now is will it be still offered bearing in mind that nobody in the UK wants a 1.6 repmobile and now that we have an emissions based tax system nobody will want it here either when the 1.5dCi will be cheaper to tax and almost certainly be cheaper to buy too.

Anyone else want to add to my list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

E92 wrote: »
    Under the new VRT scheme, cars are going to be taxed under emissions rather than engine size, so the big incentive of buying 1.6 litre engines in cars that outgrew 1.6 litre engines in every other country will surley be a distant memory.

I predict that the end is nigh for the following cars:

BMW 316i(Unkel has confirmed that it will be disappearing)
    Toyota Avensis 1.6
    VW Passat 1.6 FSI
    Opel Vectra 1.6

The new Laguna was launched with diesels only, but a 1.6 was meant to be on the way for Spring 08(and was even advertised as being for sale here), so what I'm wondering now is will it be still offered bearing in mind that nobody in the UK wants a 1.6 repmobile and now that we have an emissions based tax system nobody will want it here either when the 1.5dCi will be cheaper to tax and almost certainly be cheaper to buy too.

Anyone else want to add to my list?

The end of 1.6 engines in that class of car is a good thing either way.

As for the Laguna, the 1.6 (as it's priced at the minute) is only €1000 deaer than the diesel across the range anyway, so I doubt it would have been a great seller anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Most sports cars with petrol engines - RX-8, S2000, Evo, Impreza Turbo.

Golf GTI etc. will become a lot more expensive to both buy and tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

But not the likes of the Merc S600, BMW 650i etc. Ironic how the car enthusiast is gonna get squeezed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I agree with the notion that they will sell in smaller numbers, however as they are very popular in the UK, they should still be offered them here I would have thought.

The Golf pollutes 189 g/km, so that would put it in the 28% category(but only just), so that would make it cheaper to buy than present. I always thought the S2000 was never sold here.

Other cars I've thought of are the VW Golf and Jetta 1.6(both the NA and FSI version).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Does this mean the gti will hold its value more as whoever wants it will pay less than the stealers.How much is the price list price increasing by.

dre, you never read post #5(which I posted). It answers your question!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

errr, the GTI will actually have lower VRT than present, down by 2% to 28%. The road tax will be just €10 higher than a pre-July car. Granted, at €600 it will appear expensive to tax relative to some diesels. As far as I can see, both its main rivals, the Astra OPC and Focus ST will fall into the higher VRT/tax brackets. And the Golf R32 will become even rarer - its in the highest bracket of all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I agree with the notion that they will sell in smaller numbers, however as they are very popular in the UK, they should still be offered them here I would have thought.

The Golf pollutes 189 g/km, so that would put it in the 28% category(but only just), so that would make it cheaper to buy than present. I always thought the S2000 was never sold here.
    It remains to be seen if the manufacturers will keep selling them here. Universal Honda are very finicky when and seem to need the slightest of excuses not to bring in a particular model. The S2000 has pride of place in their window over there at Brown's Barn (opposite Citywest on the N7)... but not for much longer.

As a consequence I'd say pre-July S2000's, what with their low road tax and all, will become collectors items. (Note to self: buy S2000)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The Jap imports will almost completely stop I would say, alot of these cars will be liable for €1000 road tax under the new system. I can see there been a big rush to import what people can in the coming months to avail of the current road tax pricing.

• Advertisement

dre, you never read post #5(which I posted). It answers your question!

Right it looks like its going up for sale very soon and im going to buy the 1.4 gt.Much better and bloody cheaper :)

drdre wrote: »
    Right it looks like its going up for sale very soon and im going to buy the 1.4 gt.Much better and bloody cheaper :)
    Its in the same VRT band as your GTI! (the 170 version is, the 140 is in the 24% band)

Its in the same VRT band as your GTI! (the 170 version is, the 140 is in the 24% band)

But its the TSI engine which is supposed to be more fuel efficient and less cO2
    What the hell did minister do? He messed everything up

drdre wrote: »
    But its the TSI engine which is supposed to be more fuel efficient and less cO2

It IS more efficient than a GTI(39 vs 35 mpg), but it nevertheless is in the same CO2 scale as a GTI!(AFAIR 173 g/km for the GT, 189 for the GTI)

Advertisement