Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal interest, Knock your street cred?

Options
  • 10-12-2007 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi just wondering your thought on the fact that having an open interest in the paranormal can make you a bit of an oddity yourself to other people.

I get a hard time off a lot of people not in a serious way or anything but a lot of slagging as my partner has an interest in this.

Like I have a sense of humour over it don't get me wrong.. as does he.

But just wondering do people here speak openly of their interest to others or is it a secret?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

If people are willing to slag you openly and not behind you back then its not all bad. Most people will find elements of it interesting but playfully hide behind well meant jibs.

I'm very open about my own interest most of the time and get mixed reactions. Alot of the time I will get follow-up questions from people privately and some people will actually disclose their own stories or those of family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I have always had an interest in the paranormal and it would have been known to most but not to the extent of how interested in it I was. I always found or thought that people found this odd and would look at you oddly and its not a nice feeling.

Now I just couldn't give a crap if people think its odd or not and I find that the questions and stories of their own experience come more freely. I guess its a state of mind and how you approach it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

For as long as I can remember, I have been interested with the paranormal, and I've always been open about it. I don't feel like it's a deeply personal or embarrassing thing that I should hide. I used to be surprised that there weren't more people interested in it, after all, who doesn't like a good ghost story ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

i got beaten up for it once

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

chdpoker wrote: »
    i got beaten up for it once

seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

MLE wrote: »
    seriously?

No, he's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I have never cared what the people on the street or the street where I live consider to be odd or what they might think less of me.

I have had more harasshment due to my views and being active in other area's of my life then ever for paranormal beliefs.

6th wrote: »
    No, he's not.

How do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

MLE wrote: »
    How do you know?

He may or may not be serious, but when you troll around, no one cares to take you seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi MLE,

i agree everyone loves a ghost story, people laugh initially when i tell them i go on investigations, then about 70-80 % of them ask loads of questions and tell me ghost stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

i have had the slagging matches,,then when you show them or tell them somthing they kinda get intrested,my father thinks im bonkers,,but my mother has had her own experiences and supports what i do and the wife thinks its great because im not in the pub,,,,lol
    but at the end of the day never take to heart if their slagging you they are leaving someone else alone.

im sure we all here have had some taunts thrown our way,,,but hang in there,,and tell them when you die your coming back to haunt them.

The slagging like I said isnt bad... Its not even about me!

But I do think its far more interesting a hobby then the usual things that blokes are into like the dreaded 'Football'

Give me dead people any day

Advertisement