Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars that may well be heading our way next year

Options
  • 10-12-2007 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

As the title says, as well as certain cars that will be disappearing because of the VRT change, the new system undoutably will mean new opportunities for certain models that weren't available under the old system because VRT made them too expensive to sell well.

I would say the following are cars that could make it here as a result of the changes:

Honda Civic i-CTDi
    Toyoa Avensis D-CAT 180 bhp
    Ford Focus 2.0 and 2.0 TDCi
    Ford Mondeo 1.6 (123 bhp)
    Toyoita RAV4 D-CAT 180
    Renault Clio dCi
    Renault Twingo 1.2 TCE
    Renault Clio 1.2 TCE
    VW Golf 1.4 FSI
    Renault Clio 1.6
    Renault Megane 2.0/2.0 dCi
    Renault Laguna 2.0
    anyone else care to add to the list?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Sadly a lot of Euro 4 diesels on there. Expect air quality to start detiorating near you from July '08.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It will be diesel all the way. Anything in the 2.2 litre category will become popular. These cars perform well and a low polluters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Overall, I think the new VRT/tax system, is a great step in the right direction... obviously it seems to favour low c02-emitting diesels, like in the OP's post, but it also favours many modern petrols too, such as BMW's current range of 6-cyl efficient dynamic models. As time goes on, more and more manufacturers will develop strong hi-tech engines coupled with tax-friendly emissions. So everyones a winner... until they hike the tax again!

At long last, Irish buyers have the choice to buy a car with an engine which suits the car's needs (i.e. no more 1.4 Golfs, Focii, BMW 316's, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Sadly a lot of Euro 4 diesels on there. Expect air quality to start detiorating near you from July '08.

I'm sure, Honda will have one......some day, maybe...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

Cosmo K wrote: »

Honda has 3% of the Irish market, and have only one diesel engine, which is available only in 2 cars. How much of a contribution to bad air quality do you think Honda is making?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Cosmo K wrote: »

I think DPF's should be mandatory, now that we are most definately switching to the black pump next year, and in droves too. The SIMI reckons by 2009, 65-70% of new car sales will be diesel(bear in mind we are at 28% now, that is a monumental change, and 70% would put us at the top of the tree in Europe right up there with diesel loving France and Italy, Germany which supposedly(I know from experience that there are still plenty of petrols running around the place there) is diesel obsessed is at 47.2% btw, so they are some distance behind), so there is a lot of merit in my suggestion. BMW have fitted them to their diesels for quite some time at this stage. Toyota's D-CAT and PSA cars have had them for several years too AFAIK. I think VAGs do as well.

Anyway from 2009 Euro 5 will be mandatory, and this will I think make DPF's mandatory but either way there will be a massive reduction in Particulate Emissions compared to Euro 4, so the health risk wassociated with paraffin stoves should be massively reduced.

E92 wrote: »
    Anyway from 2009 Euro 5 will be mandatory,
    2009 only for new models. For existing cars it's 2011, but we'll probably still have Euro 4 cars knocking around till 2020 or so:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Audi tt twin turbo diesel 202bhp. Early 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

JHMEG wrote: »
    Honda has 3% of the Irish market, and have only one diesel engine, which is available only in 2 cars. How much of a contribution to bad air quality do you think Honda is making?

I dunno, but somewhere in teh world a country is having it's ground raped for rare earth minerals to make IMA batteries..............oh, and I bet they're paying top dollar for the labour too..............:rolleyes:

Besides, we can always export them to the Far East when they're EOL......so it won't actually be our problem then, either.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Surely it is time for a new Nissan Primera?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'll expect to see a lot more 2.2 Corollas and 1.4 D4-D Yaris's specs appearing on the distributor list.

Expect the Merc diesel hybrids to make an entrance and possibly the BMW Hydrogen 7 Series....14% VRT, €150 tax:D:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@JHMEG - maybe you would like to retype your post made last night which I deleted!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I thought the diesel accord already had a DPF anyway?

JHMEG wrote: »

I was disappointed with hondas diesel engine. I expected to rev to 9000 :)

Advertisement