Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accidents involving foreign reg cars.

Options
  • 10-12-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has happened to experience involving colisions with foriegn registered cars? Went to check out both cars in the storage yard thingy that the garda use. Noticed that the car that hit us had no discs on it whatsoever. We are hoping that the gardai on scene took them, as we were taken away in ambulance and didnt do any of the detail swapping etc.

Basically, is this gonna take a million years to be sorted out? If anyone has had to claim against eastern european insurance id be grateful to hear any info you can give me. It is currently a garda matter so dont want to go into deatils about it, just want a bit of a heads up as to the in's and out's of what we may have to do.

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Don't waste any of your time and patience pursuing them and don't bother with the Gardai, goto www.mibi.ie, they will sort you out. Basically you and the rest of us are expected to take it up the rear from uninsured drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

He didn't say uninsured, he said foreign.

I'd say talk to your own insurance company and let them follow it up; that, in my understanding, is why you give them your hard earned cash. They should have experience of any and all eventualities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

If you have a look at the link from Tipsey Mac Fey it tells you how to claim from foreign reg car drivers (including insured ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

Its a little more complicated. company owned car on our half, and the foreign party is likely to be prosecuted by gardai for a driving offense. personal injuries involved. just wondering if the company's insurance is gonna have to chase across europe to sort out their car, and if we shall have to do the same for the injuries suffered.

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

its up to your insurance to sort it out, company or not, just give them a shout and let them know the story., interesting fact, did you know that 90% or driving convictions in ireland are against forign nationals?., there was a debate about it on the adrian kennedy phone show a few months back,.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

vtec wrote: »
    ...90% or driving convictions in ireland are against forign nationals?., there was a debate about it on the adrian kennedy phone show a few months back,.,
    Who'd believe anything heard on that execrable show?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I'd seriously doubt that as most EU countries where foreign registered vehicles are from have PROPER driving training and testing whereas the driving training structure AND test over here are just a joke.
    Like where else for flip's sake does a driver tester go out on the road with a candidate on his/her own without the presence of a third party driver instructor in the vehicle... .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

its up to your insurance to sort it out, company or not, just give them a shout and let them know the story., interesting fact, did you know that 90% or driving convictions in ireland are against forign nationals?., there was a debate about it on the adrian kennedy phone show a few months back,.,

I call bullsh1t. Back it up with facts please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

A. Most countries in Europe don't Display Tax and insurance disks, its done off the reg.

B. Nearly all countries except Ireland have a mandatory amount of hours instruction you have to complete before you can even do your test (what Ireland is doing now)

C. Assuming someone doesn't have Insurance because their foreign doesn't make any sense, an Italian colleague of mine was recently in an accident, he just gave his Italian insurance details and they dealt with the other parties insurance.

D. I don't believe foreign nationals cause 90% of road accidents, that figure would just not seem plausable to me from my own personal experience on the road, i would say Irish drivers are equally as bad.

E. Some people seem to think 'Foreign National' means Black and from somewhere in Africa. In fact it means their from another country, period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

, interesting fact, did you know that 90% or driving convictions in ireland are against forign nationals?., there was a debate about it on the adrian kennedy phone show a few months back,.,

Nothing happens on that show except skangers shouting abuse at each other.
    Back up the stat or withdraw it

Anyway, aren't the British the largest foreign group here?
    Leaving aside the odd fool, they tend to be better drivers than most Irish people, including me :).
    Edit: I know someone will say they are all speeding lunatics from up North. My point still stands!

• Advertisement

Guys, I didnt want to start a racialy motivated debate here. I was just looking for some general info and guidance from peoples own experience. The other vehicle and occupants just happened to be from a different european country, i am in no way holding this against them. I was just wondering about the tax and insurance because there were no discs or disc holder displayed on the car when we saw it up in the compound. The investigating garda has no info for us yet on it.

Just wondering, would the injured passenger, would does not work for the company who own the vehicle, have to claim from their insurance, or go through the MIBI or PIAB by themselves?

Cheers for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Guys, I didnt want to start a racialy motivated debate here. I was just looking for some general info and guidance from peoples own experience. The other vehicle and occupants just happened to be from a different european country, i am in no way holding this against them. I was just wondering about the tax and insurance because there were no discs or disc holder displayed on the car when we saw it up in the compound. The investigating garda has no info for us yet on it.

Just wondering, would the injured passenger, would does not work for the company who own the vehicle, have to claim from their insurance, or go through the MIBI or PIAB by themselves?

Cheers for the help.

Go through your normal insurance and they'll deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I'd seriously doubt that as most EU countries where foreign registered vehicles are from have PROPER driving training and testing whereas the driving training structure AND test over here are just a joke.
    Like where else for flip's sake does a driver tester go out on the road with a candidate on his/her own without the presence of a third party driver instructor in the vehicle... .

the grass is always greener !!! yawn .... have you ever driven in some EU countries? I was in Poland a few months ago and it is edge of the seat stuff .. especially on the country roads ... crazy overtaking moves seem to be the norm ! as for Italy and some parts of spain !!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

MIBI also deals with forgein registered cars, it gets the money either off the forgein insurance company or if the car is uninsured from the forgein fund for unisured drivers (i.e. a latvian unregistered car crashes in ireland, the latvian fund for unisured motor vehciles pciks up the tab)

http://www.mibi.ie/foreign-vehicles.html

found out from the garda that the guy does have insurance but he is waiting to hear back whether it is third party or fully comp. this at least means the companies insurance will have someone to deal with directly. as regards the injuries. would we be best going through mibi ourselves or the piab? do they deal with other countries?

cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

found out from the garda that the guy does have insurance but he is waiting to hear back whether it is third party or fully comp. this at least means the companies insurance will have someone to deal with directly. as regards the injuries. would we be best going through mibi ourselves or the piab? do they deal with other countries?

cheers guys
    The other driver is insured, so you will be claiming against him.

Not your ornery onager

ive no damage to a car. as the passenger, its just personal injury. would i do this through my drivers company insurance or just through the PIAB myself?

thanks

Advertisement