Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Configuring IBB and Ubuntu

Options
  • 10-12-2007 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

I'm having problems accessing the internet with Irish Broadband Breeze in Ubuntu. I went into network manual configuration and under static IP put in all my details, usually thats enough, but i'm not getting connections in Firefox. I've tried to ping www.google.com and it seemed to work so i'm kinda confused.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

Well if you can ping out you have connectivity. Is firefox giving you an errors? I've used ubuntu on a breeze connection with no problems before, tbh in this case I think there is somethin up with the config on the machine. What version of ubuntu are you on? Are you using network manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Whats Network Manager? I just manually put in the IP address, subnet, gateway and dns server then set firefox to Directly connect to the internet. Tried automatically detect proxy settings too.. still nothing. What did you do to set up your connection?

Edit: and its Ubuntu 7.10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Are you using a wireless connection?

If you are then why not use DHCP and let the network manager sort everything out for you?

I use DHCP and network manager (installed by default in 7.10) and never have any problems connecting. Its more reliable than Windows wireless.

If your using wireless and a wireless router, can you say whether you have Mac Address filtering turned on (it won't be on by default so you would have had to turn it on, if you didn't turn it on and nobody else touches the wireless settings then its off).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I don't think breeze uses DHCP. I think IBB give you a Static IP.

No idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

watty wrote: »
    I don't think breeze uses DHCP. I think IBB give you a Static IP.

No idea why.

It doesn't but if has a router he can use DHCP and just use IBB settings on the router.

I have IBB and have no problems using it over a wireless network with Ubuntu and Windows with no problems.

• Advertisement

no i'm not using wireless or a router at the moment. just plugging the crossever cable straight from the alvarion to the ethernet port..IBB give you a static IP so DHCP is out i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

could you type cat /etc/network/interfaces in the terminal and post the result?

This is the output I get

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
    address: my ip address
    network: subnet mask
    gateway: my default gateway

inet eth0

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

It sounds like a problem I encountered with 7.10. Turned out firefox was the problem. Try removing firefox with synaptic and then re-installing it. If that doesn't do the trick head over to the ubuntu forums for more help. I'm sure you'll get a quick fix there.

Boomslang :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Make sure you have the IBB DNS addresses entered into your config also. Could well be that that is causing the problem.

You could try connect to the IP address of google.ie which is 216.239.59.104 and see if that works for you in firefox. If it does then it's prob just a problem with your DNS in Ubuntu's network setup.

Opera is another free web browser you can try if firefox does turn out to be the problem.

I have IBB working fine at home on both Mandriva 2008 Linux (what I'm using now at home) and Ubuntu (in the past) - no problems at all either plugged in directly manually assigning the public static IP or going through a router internally with DHCP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement