Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom is becoming a joke--help me find a better isp

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peteballagh

Thanks for all the info. I think I understand now.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

HI PETE
    But what about the 350 KBps?
    Sounds like you have been upgraded to a 3 megabit connection. Unless of course you are getting the bits and bytes mixed up

Normally what Welly says applies
    WellyJ wrote:
    Highercase (KBps) is Kilobytes per second.

lowercase (kbps) is kilobits per second.
    but this is not written in stone.

Check your speed here: http://www.speedtest.net/
    Click on the pyramid of say dublin on the map. When the process is completed, click 'copy' on the first (forum) of the 3 in 'shaare your result'.
    Then paste it here. The result will be in kb/s (kilobits/s)

Boopolo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 flakey

i work for eircom broadband... bb speed is rate adaptive your 2 mb speed is on a dsl port and u and 48other users sre on the same port:eek: if ur more then 4-5 miles from exchange ur signal be week but if u upgrade to 3 mb it will drop to 24 users....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

flakey wrote: »
    i work for eircom broadband... bb speed is rate adaptive your 2 mb speed is on a dsl port and u and 48other users sre on the same port:eek: if ur more then 4-5 miles from exchange ur signal be week but if u upgrade to 3 mb it will drop to 24 users....

im not even a kilometer from the exchange! i upgraded to 3mb today so it should come through by tomorrow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It doesn't matter how far away you are physically, it's the length of wire between you and the exchange that matters. You could live next door but it means squat if the wiring is routed away from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

the 350 is just burst speed on dail up and by you logic have magic dail up that can give speed of 30KBps,

the speed you get it the speed it goes at after a while.
    what happens is before it starts telling you it's downloading it starts get a bit along then tells you
    works out the speed states wrong giving a higher speed before leveling out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

WellyJ wrote: »
    Your BT is 1mb

I hope not! Life is too short for milli-bits per second.

Advertisement