Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvements for next year?

Options
  • 10-12-2007 11:27pm

what kind of improvments would you like to see??

mine are....

stoppage time: about time the selected time was played, the ball having to cross the half-way line is very annoying, sometimes 0 minutes pop up and it will still play it the same way, basically the number doesnt hold any significance.

cursor change: the manual cursor change in this yrs is the worst its ever been countless times opposition have advnaced 20yards before i could get onto the man i wanted!.

better control over your players: mother of god this has been in every title, ball comes off opposition is going out for a corner and your player runs after it and ends up hitting it out for a goal kick cause he only reached it on the line etc....

smarter goalies: as well all know 50% of players online constantly run down the line, cut down goal wards at pass it into the box, goalie always goes right over to the post and leaves the goal wide open for when the ball reaches its target

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Improve the servers first of all. No waiting for patches or any of that crap, have it working from the box.

Bring back 2 v 2, groups, or even 5 v 5 like Fifa

Allow the option of disabling certain teams when making a room. So you can choose Inter, Barca etc not playable

Slow down the gameplay, and fix the ball physics. It's like pinball at times.

Keepers need new brains.

Allow people to shoot from quick freekicks.

Some of them clearly won't happen but I can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

smarter goalies: as well all know 50% of players online constantly run down the line, cut down goal wards at pass it into the box, goalie always goes right over to the post and leaves the goal wide open for when the ball reaches its target

I think this is more to do with the AI's defending. I think that's the biggest problem in the game, they don't put enough effort into coding proper marking.

ya its pretty bad, noticed a few times aswell id be running after a striker with a CB and the other starts coming over for no reason then a simple pass goalwards finds there 2nd striker now left un-opposed:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Unearthly wrote: »
    Bring back 2 v 2, groups, or even 5 v 5 like Fifa

I can't stress my agreement with this enough.

I'd also like to see something very simple: A "Are these settings ok with you before the game starts?" button. This applies more to the PES6 style of online play, but it would stop people doing things like putting the condition on random, 15 subs, 9,000 pauses, etc. without you agreeing with it.

Finally, a way to host your own servers. That's never gonna happen, but a way to connect directly to another machine by IP, etc. would be great.

Folex wrote: »
    I can't stress my agreement with this enough.

I'd also like to see something very simple: A "Are these settings ok with you before the game starts?" button. This applies more to the PES6 style of online play, but it would stop people doing things like putting the condition on random, 15 subs, 9,000 pauses, etc. without you agreeing with it.

Finally, a way to host your own servers. That's never gonna happen, but a way to connect directly to another machine by IP, etc. would be great.

whats wrong with random condition?.... i HATE when i play someone and they put it to normal i prefer having the luck of the draw.:)

• Advertisement

whats wrong with random condition?.... i HATE when i play someone and they put it to normal i prefer having the luck of the draw.:)

I've no problem with it at all! Just using it as an example of a setting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I would like to see a better in-game atmosphere. The crowd should be chanting and reacting to the game play properly, and the commentators need to be more dramatic! It would enhance the experience.
    Also I would like to see players put their foot behind the ball when shooting and REALLY let fly, especially when in the box. It seems like they place it all the time unless the ball is rolled out for them to strike.

Folex wrote: »
    I've no problem with it at all! Just using it as an example of a setting :)

nothing worse though then playing inter with random condition and your opponent gets ibrah' and/or Adriano on red...cant tackle them at all:mad:...

is it just me or has it become barca/inter that the bandits always pick?... seeing alot more inter bandits lately!

Oh, a small thing, but I'd also like to hear some of the in-match sounds be a little more defined. The new "grunts" added to 2008 were a welcome addition and gave a little more feeling / individuality to the players. If hitting the bar made a nice satisfying "THAKKK!" or a player taking a hoof of a shot made more of a "THUMP!", that'd be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Better servers for me, the lag on some games is so annoying, even after the patch came out it still seems to be the same for me.

Keepers seem to fumble the ball a bit too much too, at the start I liked it as it added a bit more realism to the game but I think they've gone overboard, basic shots that could be easily catched being punched out for a corner/throw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd like better friendly AI off the ball movement, is it just me or has this got worse since 2006 (I might be wrong I only played a tiny bit of 2006)? They seem either stand right beside you or else run to the nearest defender.

Pass selection could do with being improved too. It's very annoying to spot a potential pass, aim for it with the stick, but then when you press the button it goes a completely different direction to an opposition player. It doesn't happen a lot but is very frustrating when it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭_PCahill_

It would be great if they stopped wasting their time adding gimmicks like diving and lip movement when the players celebrate as there are obviously more important features needed.

Firstly, they really have to sort out the referee. Last wkend I was there playing...I pass from the midfield to a defender in my own half and the ref gave an offside against me. Things like this should really never happen as I was obviously not offside.

Cursor change is a big problem in the current version. Was much better in all the other pro evos.

Goal Keeping.....where to start on this one. Pro evo 5 had this bug where if the keeper dived on his line and saved the ball..stopping it on the line. if the keeper was close to the post he would then stand up, picking the saved ball up, hit the post, fallover, and the ball would roll in. They fixed this in pro evo 6 and now its back in 2008.

Another thing with the Goal keepers in 2008 is that the collision detection is only with their hands and shins. In PES 2008 if you manage to kick the ball between the keepers hands it will pass through his chest and go in.

Online play - If Komani aren't going to provide working servers then they should let general players host the games. The pro evo 6 servers are working great these days because there are not many people on them - its just like paying someone sitting beside you. 2VS2 is also an Important thing...another feature of PES 6 which was missing in the new one. They should really extend this to allow for two people at one console to play on the same team online as well.

Pass back rule - Maybe I'm wrong or something, but I always thought there was a rule in football to stop people passing back to their goal keeper and him picking it up for a goalkick. heading it back should be allowed. None(?) of the pro evos to date implement this rule.

All in all I guess I am looking for a football game that plays well and has a referee that properly implements the rules of football. Good internet play is essential. I don't care about diving, how good the graphics are (once they are reasonable), real team names and kits, or how good the stadium looks.

I think they did make some progress with the AI this year...the new AI makes some great use of through balls, and doesn't suffer from the same bugs as the previous versions, but really before Konami decide what to put into the next pro evo, I think they need to go back and play Sensible soccer and ISS to remind themselves what football games are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Free-kicks. The computer scores about 90% of free-kicks from up to 25m out - they had it right in the last one (the frequency of golas scored from fks) but it's ridiculous now, even rubbish players can score easily. You give away a free kick within 20-30m you can pretty much guarantee you're going to concede, bah!

_PCahill_ wrote: »
    It would be great if they stopped wasting their time adding gimmicks like diving and lip movement when the players celebrate as there are obviously more important features needed.

Firstly, they really have to sort out the referee. Last wkend I was there playing...I pass from the midfield to a defender in my own half and the ref gave an offside against me. Things like this should really never happen as I was obviously not offside.

Cursor change is a big problem in the current version. Was much better in all the other pro evos.

Goal Keeping.....where to start on this one. Pro evo 5 had this bug where if the keeper dived on his line and saved the ball..stopping it on the line. if the keeper was close to the post he would then stand up, picking the saved ball up, hit the post, fallover, and the ball would roll in. They fixed this in pro evo 6 and now its back in 2008.

Another thing with the Goal keepers in 2008 is that the collision detection is only with their hands and shins. In PES 2008 if you manage to kick the ball between the keepers hands it will pass through his chest and go in.

Online play - If Komani aren't going to provide working servers then they should let general players host the games. The pro evo 6 servers are working great these days because there are not many people on them - its just like paying someone sitting beside you. 2VS2 is also an Important thing...another feature of PES 6 which was missing in the new one. They should really extend this to allow for two people at one console to play on the same team online as well.

Pass back rule - Maybe I'm wrong or something, but I always thought there was a rule in football to stop people passing back to their goal keeper and him picking it up for a goalkick. heading it back should be allowed. None(?) of the pro evos to date implement this rule.

All in all I guess I am looking for a football game that plays well and has a referee that properly implements the rules of football. Good internet play is essential. I don't care about diving, how good the graphics are (once they are reasonable), real team names and kits, or how good the stadium looks.

I think they did make some progress with the AI this year...the new AI makes some great use of through balls, and doesn't suffer from the same bugs as the previous versions, but really before Konami decide what to put into the next pro evo, I think they need to go back and play Sensible soccer and ISS to remind themselves what football games are about.

agree on the cursor changing...although i taught it was just in my head. dont know how many times someone ran un-opposed while im still trying to get it onto the player i wanted!.

tbh ive never once seen a keeper picking up a back-pass, it always goes on to manual and you have the ball there at his feet, and yes it does pick up up from a header(as the rules allow).....something though connected to what ya said bugs me, how easy it is for someone to waste time online, your team dont start squeezing them like they should and you could pass it about back there for 10-15min(10min game) easy if you wanted to be that sad(like some prat done to me yesterday he was winning 2-0 and with 50mins on the clock started passing it around while no more then my 2 strikers ever pushed up, eventually took it off him and scored, added the 2 and soon 3rd before he quit in disgust :D)

also has anyone noticed the lack of ''quick free-kick'' i think ive seen 3 online in over 100hrs play...but i played in a friends recently(who hasnt downloaded the patch) and they were common enough...weird!!!

id like to see more ''real-time'' action(from FK's, Throws etc...) instead of skipping screen to see everyone is position, like something you'd see 10yrs ago in a game, its totally un-realistic. so basically id prefer if the screen never went off and to have the players retrive the ball at a speed that refects the scoreline(i.e if your losing have them run for the ball to get play going etc....) that would highten the realism so much IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

To become just as strict on the CPU players as yours.

In the same match yday i was tracking the CF thro my penalty area, FAAAAAR from being the last man back, my player did the little foot in challenge, won the ball, CPU went down, won the peno and my player sent off!!!!

Few mins later i went thro one on one, the CB slid in and chopped me in half, didnt win the pen and the player wasnt sent off!!

Also sick of being one on one with the keeper, ya go to round him, he dives at your feet causing you to stumble witout claiming the ball and play carries on. Correct me if i'm worng but red card and penalty no??

INFURAITES ME!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mikel Jr.

taking a quick free kick when at that moment you have space to pass to your own players

yet soon as you press it 4 defenders pop up blocking all your options

surely this defeats the purpose of a quick free kick?

also on semi fixed...taking a free kick in the box with your keeper. soon as you kick a short pass he runs out his box to the half way line like a mad man

ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

The quick free kick shot seems a good idea.

The Edit mode is awful for Pes2008 so I'd like to see an improvement for next year. Also, I'd like to see a manager editor where you can edit the manager's appearence. So you can get someone who looks like Arsene Wenger for Arsenal instead of a drug lord.

also an uploader for crests.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

i'd like the computer opposition to perform as many ill-timed slide tackles from behind as i do

The goalkick **** has to be rectified. your players are always back at the half way. id say 99% of goal-kicks are taken short(since you get possession) in real football its 99% are kicked out. but i suppose that would come into play as ''real-time action''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Free-kicks. The computer scores about 90% of free-kicks from up to 25m out - they had it right in the last one (the frequency of golas scored from fks) but it's ridiculous now, even rubbish players can score easily. You give away a free kick within 20-30m you can pretty much guarantee you're going to concede, bah!

How are you scoring so often form free kicks?
    Neither me or mates I play against have scored a direct free kick in PES 2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,747 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

1. More intelligent running from your team - I hate it when i run down the line with the winger and see the forward has mirrored my run and is now standing at the corner of the 18yard box.... GET IN THE MIDDLE.

2. More intelligent defending. I'm sick of my defenders running out of position for no real reason, especially when i am already tracking the opposition run myself. Even more irritating when i keep control of the secondary defender myself, and keep him in a good position, but as soon as i change to another player the guy buggers off leaving a massive gap.

3. Stop that irritating piece of play that sees your player run alongside the ball instead of controling it, and the ball ends up rolling out because of it.

4. Scenario mode in 'next gen' versions.

5. Random selection games in next gen versions.

6. FULL editing options on next gen versions. No space limitations to photographed kits.

7. Stop selecting long range headed 'shots' when CLEARLY a volley is what is needed/intended.

8. Make the computer teams more adventurous. I'm sick of the computer simply MAINTAINING possesion across their back line, to midfeild and then back to the defenders for most of the game, even when goals down. I don't expect the computer to be all-out-attacking, be it seems way overly cautious most of the time for my liking.

I'll probably think of more...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I dont expect any improvements, this years game was a horrible mess, an embarrassement to what it once was, online was a disgrace and it played like s**t...

I took my copy back after 2 days, disgusted with it...

Thing is I would have been happy with PES2 with updated kits, teams, decent online play and so forth....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Are people still playing this turkey of a game? I went back to PES6, much more satisfying experience IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Refs getting in way
    Slow game down
    Adriano - dumb this dumdum down
    Sliding tackles, when i win one, i'd like the ball as well, not for it to go back to the opposition all the time
    Cursor change - worst thing bout pro evo
    Improve Arsenal
    Make Anderson God
    Change the keeper charge button, so it isnt the same as through ball! I've got caught with this so many times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Stop making Liverpool seem good, they're not!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ckarsenal

Alot of mine have already been mentioned but these are the things i want improved:

1. Have the forwards attack the short kick out more. Not realistic to be able to take a short kick out every time!
    2. When someone slides straight from behind, it should be a red card! sick of starting a counter attack and the apponent just taking my man out blatently from behind
    3. I still think direct free kicks are to tough and should be adjusted.
    4. and how the hell are arsenal so useless!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

the free kicks (both long and short) in PES 6 and PES 2008 are abysmal. the short ones are the worst, you've to wait for the whistle which gives the opposing player plenty of time to get a man in front of the intended target.

The view when your trying to save a peno when the computer/online player takes it... whats with that? that idea must have come from the same department in Konami that approved the menu music :p

the big problem with all the PES's is that if a player becomes good, they make him good in the game, but when he gets older/loses form they never re-adjust his stats. just ran by three 20 year old defenders with Rivaldo for AEK athens... joke he's still got the legs tbh

keepers need improving big time, they wander aimlessly off their line for no reason

dont even get me started on the online play. joke. cant even find a player to play against most nights now. its gone so bad no one plays it online

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Nailz wrote: »
    Stop making Liverpool seem good, they're not!

Gerrard and Torres aside, they're crap in it arent they?

England all on reds are unstoppable!

James

--King
    Terry
    Rio
    Cashley--

Hargreaves----Lampard

Gerrard

--Rooney
    Owen
    D Bent----

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Tauren wrote: »
    1. More intelligent running from your team - I hate it when i run down the line with the winger and see the forward has mirrored my run and is now standing at the corner of the 18yard box.... GET IN THE MIDDLE.

2. More intelligent defending. I'm sick of my defenders running out of position for no real reason, especially when i am already tracking the opposition run myself. Even more irritating when i keep control of the secondary defender myself, and keep him in a good position, but as soon as i change to another player the guy buggers off leaving a massive gap.

3. Stop that irritating piece of play that sees your player run alongside the ball instead of controling it, and the ball ends up rolling out because of it.

4. Scenario mode in 'next gen' versions.

5. Random selection games in next gen versions.

6. FULL editing options on next gen versions. No space limitations to photographed kits.

7. Stop selecting long range headed 'shots' when CLEARLY a volley is what is needed/intended.

8. Make the computer teams more adventurous. I'm sick of the computer simply MAINTAINING possesion across their back line, to midfeild and then back to the defenders for most of the game, even when goals down. I don't expect the computer to be all-out-attacking, be it seems way overly cautious most of the time for my liking.

I'll probably think of more...

DITTO.

Everything, and I mean everything is such a co-sign.

I want to add better shooting physics.

Like players opening their body up and slotting it into the net(Like Henry) rather than this 1930's, foot behind the ball and smash it thing they have going on.

Goalkeepers: They need to make them better, but also make the great ones look great, the good ones look good and the average ones look average.

Also better animation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

s has been said already, better chants by supporters and better commentating...

Advertisement