Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor for kid in rented house

Options
  • 10-12-2007 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I live in a rented bungalow. Good relations with landlord, carpeted floors. I have an under 3 yo kid, and the carpets are slowly getting destroyed by "incidents"; a case of vomiting has apparently finished one off as we used pretty much everything for that carpet :( well except for enzyme odor eaters but we could not find them!

I'm thinking of installing another floor instead but what should I choose?

- Carpets are cheapest; installation is "free" - can do ourselves. But - "until next time"? Carpets accumulate all sorts of odours, etc. Should one just budget a yearly recarpeting?

- Linoleum is more expensive, but still can be installed in DIY mode. And it's quite hard to harm. But the house is a bungalow and under the carpets, the floors are concrete. Linoleum would probably be insufficient as insulation? Perhaps one can put something under the linoleum to make it warmer?

- Laminate (with a normal under-layer) is apparently the ideal floor as it has insulation AND is hard to harm. But even cheapest laminate is rather expensive, and besides, I'd probably have to pay for the work as I'm very bad at sawing etc. So - invest that sort of money, in a rented house?

Are there options, or considerations, I failed to mention? What should one do in a setup like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

What about these spungy tiles, Easy to lay and clean. You could also bring them when you move. Might be a bit expensive.

Advertisement