Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential running music

• 10-12-2007 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I'm just putting a few things on my ipod here for a bit of christmas "calorie equalisation" and I'm wondering what some people consider the absolute essentials for a few miles and and an ipod?

I like to mix the gladiator soundtrack into some fast pased "clubby" stuff but I havent yet found the perfect mix.

I put "Something's gotten hold of my heart" onto the ipod last week by accident.. needless to say that stopped me in my tracks! I'd say people were wondering why the lad out running suddenly got the giggles. :D

Anyway.. Your essentials?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The following are some bands whom I find very easy to run to:

Bloc Party
    Arcade Fire
    U2
    Arctic Monkeys
    Editors
    Depeche Mode
    Kaiser Chiefs
    C.S.S.
    Klaxons
    The Stills
    Girls aloud :embarrassed:
    Sigur Rós for a bit of slower tempo that's still uplifting
    Stars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I'd love to be able to listen to music while running but my earphones end up wrecking my head quite literally.

If anybody could recommend a decent pair of headphones i'd be interested to hear. Then again I don't know if I would feel safe running around not been able to hear Dublin commuters making a bee line for me

I have a selection of music I listen to before races though.

It has a lot of U2, Oasis, Rocky music, eye of the tiger (obviously) and the main Rocky theme tune. Anything with a fast tempo really. The Editors were mentioned above and find them great to listen to also !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

I'm trying to register a group of people on the Aware 10k website but it seems to be down. Has anyone else had problems with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

I have to admit, I have to be quite up-beat. My current list attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'd Love To Be Able To Listen To Music While Running But My Earphones End Up Wrecking My Head Quite Literally.
    I'll Recommend Headphones If You Stop Capitalising Every Single Word In Your Posts! :)

I use these headphones in the gym:

Philips SHS3200. They stay in place during any type of cardio exercise, and the cable is symmetrical (which is important for me - no cable going behind the neck).

Inexpensive too, and my current set have lasted me over a year (so they're durable).

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

robbicosta wrote: »
    I'm trying to register a group of people on the Aware 10k website but it seems to be down. Has anyone else had problems with it?
    It has been down a lot of the morning but seems to be back up and running now. I rang yesterday and was told that a late registration fee(€25) would apply after 10/12/2007 although you still seem to be able to register for €15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

Mr E wrote: »
    I'll Recommend Headphones If You Stop Capitalising Every Single Word In Your Posts! :)

I use these headphones in the gym:

Philips SHS3200. They stay in place during any type of cardio exercise, and the cable is symmetrical (which is important for me - no cable going behind the neck).

Inexpensive too, and my current set have lasted me over a year (so they're durable).

Hope this helps.

I use the same ones - they are deadly. they are the only earphones I have found that comfortable stay in place..Argos - 14 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

depends on what type of music you like running to but the main theme from the movie tears of the sun is awesome to run to

gets faster paced as song progress so gets ya motivated if your starting to lag a bit , generally hans zimmer scores/soundtracks have at least one decent song for running

theres a few cool tracks on the rock and the peacemaker scores as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭donaghs

I presume most people of using mp3 players like ipods with built-in hard drives? What's the guidance for using these and exercising? I'd imagine that any kind of sustained bumping around isn't good for a hard drive. I've heard of the player skipping, but anyone killed their device from jogging with it?

I have a Creative Zen wth a 6GB hdd but don't take it out running for the reason that I want it to last longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

a must for running i have found even thou i not a great fan of there s is pllacebo running up that hill
    also good motivators are survivor songs (yes they have more than eye of the tiger haha)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I used these headphones: http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones/22637/Sony+MDR-J10+L.htm
    They stay on the ear but the ear piece doesn't get shoved into your ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Wagner Ride of the Valkyries a must, I finish ever run on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

Trotter wrote: »
    I'm just putting a few things on my ipod here for a bit of christmas "calorie equalisation" and I'm wondering what some people consider the absolute essentials for a few miles and and an ipod?

I like to mix the gladiator soundtrack into some fast pased "clubby" stuff but I havent yet found the perfect mix.

I put "Something's gotten hold of my heart" onto the ipod last week by accident.. needless to say that stopped me in my tracks! I'd say people were wondering why the lad out running suddenly got the giggles. :D

Anyway.. Your essentials?
    I personally like trance, dance classics and clubland tunes its perfect for picking up the pace sure everybody has there own taste but there is mine anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

bottletops wrote: »
    I have to admit, I have to be quite up-beat. My current list attached.

very nice tunes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

do you find you run faster with fast music on. I nearly died with the last killers album!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I usually stick on a couple of the pieces of music from the Gladiator soundtrack when I know I'm about to drop, or at the last mile or two.

It makes me think I'm a general and I run faster for the good of the army thats relying on me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

depends on what type of music you like running to but the main theme from the movie tears of the sun is awesome to run to

gets faster paced as song progress so gets ya motivated if your starting to lag a bit , generally hans zimmer scores/soundtracks have at least one decent song for running

theres a few cool tracks on the rock and the peacemaker scores as well

Nice one, I'm liking this. I always finish my run with the opening song from Raging Bull, Caveleria Masticano (sp). Brilliant stuff, also listen to a lot of Chemical Brothers, Tiesto, Creedence, Led Zeppelin, And Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird - 8mins of brilliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I ran a half-marathon in Belgium on Sunday, and it was the Arctic Monkeys' 'Mardy Bum' that got me sprinting over the last 50 metres. I like to have a mix of slow stuff and more up-tempo: slow for when I want to keep a rhythm at the start of the race, upbeat when I'm lagging and need a boost. I find Underworld are very good to listen to: their songs start off slow, they're full of repetitive beats, but they usually climax with something lively. Also, I like them because their songs are long: I don't wear a watch when running, so I usually measure the time of my run using the number of songs I've listened to as landmarks: because Underworld songs can be between 7 to 10 minutes long I find I get a lot more 'value' (distance) from one of there songs from one of your average 4 minute numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Today on my wet run I used an iPod nano and what was a great help I found was a lot of Nirvana, from the "From the Muddy Banks of the Wishka(sp?)" album, songs like smells like teen spirit, lithium and heart shaped box especially. Here's the songs I found good:

Smells Like Teen Spirit (Live) - Nirvana
    Lithium (Live) - Nirvana
    Heart Shaped Box (Live) - Nirvana
    The Roaring Boys - Stiff Little Fingers
    Tin Soldiers - SLF
    Gotta Getaway - SLF
    Fly the Flag - SLF
    Alive - Pearl Jam
    Megalomaniac - Incubus
    Porch - Pearl Jam
    Jeremy - Pearl Jam
    Badge - Cream
    Sunshine of Your Love - Cream
    Layla - Derek and the Dominos (second half of the song nice for recovering)
    Achilles Last Stand - Led Zep

They were some that if I were to listen to music while running I'd have them on no matter what. I'd often have a lot of HIM songs on there too but depends on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

if its a long run I like to mix it up between clubby techno & trance stuff and then throw in some metal and even some chill out/inspirational stuff so:

Carl Cox - Any mix of his!
    Timo Maas
    Tiesto (hate to admit it but yes, Flight 643 is there as well as Lethal Industry)
    Pulsate - DJ Rob Little (always guaranteed to up my pace straight away)

Iron Maiden
    Metallica
    Guns N' Roses

Cafe Del Mar
    Enigma

Quite a varied mix but i find i need to vary it out on a long run because i will feel different at different stages in the run. Sometimes if I am totally wrecked I will turn off the MP3 player for a while to concentrate on my breathing :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Snow Patrol - Spitting games
    Coldplay - The hardest part
    Pearl Jam - World wide suicide
    Metallica - Fuel / King Nothing
    QOTSA - Sick Sick Sick
    Ok Go - Here it goes again
    Iron Maiden - Run to the hills
    Faith No More - From out of nowhere
    Velvet Revolver - Sucker Train Blues
    Stone Temple Pilots - Crackerman