Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geminid Meteor Shower ongoing

Options
  • 11-12-2007 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen a few in recent nights. Go and have a look.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Flukey wrote: »
    I've seen a few in recent nights. Go and have a look.

Hopefully I will see a few on this rural dark Friday night weather permitting. I'll be out of the city with a less pollution so I might see better. If the peak is at 16:25UT on Friday then surely it should still be good if skies are clear that night? The moon won't be much of an interference this time. Cool we got Mars to point us there and then Pollux and Caster to point at them. Did you see many in the gemini spot specifically or generally in that direction? I was surprised when viewing the Persids I saw some really long streaming yellow ones directly overhead away from Pers.
    Wish you luck. Hopefully I will go outside myself. Looking forward to seeing the moon clamour on over by the 24th. Mars and the full moon should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Showers such as these usually appear to emanate for a small area, in this case Gemini. As you'll have seen before though, you'll see them in other parts of the sky too, so it is a good idea to look around a bit, or face the radiant point but looking up so that you have a bigger field of view. You'll see them well after this weekend too, so keep looking on clear nights next week. Meteor showers are never one night shows. A week either side of the peak, or more, will yield some good sights too. Even well clear of a shower time, there is always the chance of seeing a meteor. So keep those eyes open. But you know all that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I have to say that I didn't see very many Gemenids last night. But I had some luck around 6 this morning & saw a brief flurry of them in the WNW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

pity its a bit too cloudy for the peak night! did see one really bright one while the clouds went on holiday a while ago. perfect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Blue 84

Was out walking around midnight, skies fairly clear, seemed to be a meteor every minute, two very bright ones looking north too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Anyone know if there will still be any meteors tonight? Tonight is the first clear night in a good few nights here in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

is this still on? It looks like we might have a clear night finally.

Mike.

Should see something for awhile anyway - yep, last 3 days have been pure blanket cloud cover. Looks good alright for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There still should be some visible for a few nights to come. It looks like we may get some clear nights this week. Plenty of other things to be seen too, like Mars and Orion and of course the moon.

Speaking of the moon - the ISS just whizzed past just above there not more than 5 minutes ago. Twas very clear and got treated nearly to the full arc tonight. It's freezing out there - wrap up! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Saw impressive meteor streaking directly overhead in Dublin at around 7pm last night.

Advertisement