Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol isn't dead just yet!

Options
  • 11-12-2007 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Some people are no doubt upset that the new VRT system makes petrol engines almost obselete.

BMW has provided petrolheads in the truest sense of the word with a solution: a petrol that pollutes in one case no more CO2 than it's diesel equivalent and in another actually manages to pollute less CO2 than it's diesel equivalent.

None other than the companys famous straight 6's has this most unusual situation.

The 325i Auto saloon and Coupé pollute 170 g/km of CO2, exactly the same as a 325d Auto saloon and coupé.

The 330i Auto saloon and coupé pollute 173 g/km, 2 g/km less than a 330d Auto saloon.

The 525i and 525d have a difference of 6 or 8 g/km depending on what gearbox you use, but they're both in the same VRT band. The 530i and 530d (in Auto guise) have a difference of 2 g/km of CO2, the diesel pollutes 2 g/km less of CO2 at 176 g/km, so again both fall into the same VRT category.

I thought I would mention it because I've seen a few threads on motors about people wanting diesel 6 pot BMWs so that they can save a packet, when their petrols are just as good for CO2 and tax under the new scheme.

Of course this is EfficientDynamics only. Normal rules for non EfficientDynamics models.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Looks (again) like we're all going to have to get BMWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I don't know exactly how, but it looks like those so called "efficient dynamics" BMWs will qualify for very low VRT and motor tax because they seem to pollute a lot less than their peers. I guess anyone involved with BMW in this country is a very happy camper at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anyway, I'm no fan of any of those cowahs in powah...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

E92 wrote: »
    Some people are no doubt upset that the new VRT system makes petrol engines almost obselete.

BMW has provided petrolheads in the truest sense of the word with a solution: a petrol that pollutes in one case no more CO2 than it's diesel equivalent and in another actually manages to pollute less CO2 than it's diesel equivalent.

None other than the companys famous straight 6's has this most unusual situation.

The 325i Auto saloon and Coupé pollute 170 g/km of CO2, exactly the same as a 325d Auto saloon and coupé.

The 330i Auto saloon and coupé pollute 173 g/km, 2 g/km less than a 330d Auto saloon.

The 525i and 525d have a difference of 6 or 8 g/km depending on what gearbox you use, but they're both in the same VRT band. The 530i and 530d (in Auto guise) have a difference of 2 g/km of CO2, the diesel pollutes 2 g/km less of CO2 at 176 g/km, so again both fall into the same VRT category.

I thought I would mention it because I've seen a few threads on motors about people wanting diesel 6 pot BMWs so that they can save a packet, when their petrols are just as good for CO2 and tax under the new scheme.

Of course this is EfficientDynamics only. Normal rules for non EfficientDynamics models.

Once again, Dr Pischetsieder, thank you. ;)

btw, most people on here are, I wager thinking secondhand, so for the foreseeable future for those, it is indeed the diesels that attract. As soon as the ED models trickle down to used car prices, we'll be there !:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

galwaytt wrote:
    Once again, Dr Pischetsieder, thank you. ;)
    Why the fook thank the president of VW??

• Advertisement
Advertisement