Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is everybody goin crazy over these new laws???

Options
  • 11-12-2007 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭

The past week has seen people, jumping to conclusions about what cars will dissapear.
    i dont think manufacturers are stupid, they can easily reduce co2 output in their cars by carring out certain mods(which they do all the time anyways)

so, do you think they will do this, and sacrifice performance....which could be reversed by aftermarket parts/tuning such as ecu remapping, new manifolds etc????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kona wrote: »
    The past week has seen people, jumping to conclusions about what cars will dissapear.
    i dont think manufacturers are stupid, they can easily reduce co2 output in their cars by carring out certain mods(which they do all the time anyways)
    They will disappear from Ireland, and manufacturers aren't going to make changes to any model just because of our regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

JHMEG wrote: »
    They will disappear from Ireland, and manufacturers aren't going to make changes to any model just because of our regulations.

they make em wrong hand drive, and with different specs anyways, a little time on a laptop wont make any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I haven't been following this in detail. What cars will disappear?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I think initially people are going a little crazy. I was looking to get a Focus estate 1.6 TDCI the last while, just waiting around to find the right one at the right price. Was meant to view one on Saturday just gone. Unfortunately I got a call Friday morning from the seller saying the car was in a knock with a truck (not very confidence inspiring) but was only superficial wheel arch damage so the car would be in getting repaired and wouldnt be available to view. Later on that day he called me to say he would be viewing the car as 3 or 4 other people enquired about it (after a 1.6 TDCI Ford Focus was quoted on the news as costing €150 to tax per year) and that I could come see it on Saturday if I wanted. I declined as the fact it had been in a knock and that the demand had increased meant I had less bargaining power to work with to get it for the right price.
    My point is that people saw the news, saw the car RTE used as an example for the new lower motor tax rate and instantly went looking for them, without realising that the law applies to newly registerd cars after July 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

pete4130 wrote: »
    (after a 1.6 TDCI Ford Focus was quoted on the news as costing €150 to tax per year)

Correct me if i'm wrong ( haven't been following all the budget stuff) but does the new C02 tax not apply to cars purchased / registered after July 2008? hence if you buy one now you'll continue to pay the same road tax. I know its sounds strange but you could have 2 cars bought / registered a few weeks apart, yet one pays €420 / year approx the other pays €150/year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Correct me if i'm wrong ( haven't been following all the budget stuff) but does the new C02 tax not apply to cars purchased / registered after July 2008? hence if you buy one now you'll continue to pay the same road tax. I know its sounds strange but you could have 2 cars bought / registered a few weeks apart, yet one pays €420 / year approx the other pays €150/year...

Keep reading the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Well somebody mentionned the 316i will disapear, I would not be surprised.
    In uk it is not sold anymore more and in the US the smallest 3 series you can have, petrol wise, is a 328i.
    Anyway 80% of BMW production in europe is diesel.
    Ireland, like a very few other countries is really an exception where you see a lot of 316i.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I ca see it working for certain motors...i'm getting a VW Bora at some stage and my Tax will half if i buy it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

Hey guys were would you get the most accurate emissions rating for a car? I have a Golf Tdi (100 bhp) but am getting values from 132 - 146. This puts it between two brackets for the tax and more importantly the VRT!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

enda_4 wrote: »
    Hey guys were would you get the most accurate emissions rating for a car? I have a Golf Tdi (100 bhp) but am getting values from 132 - 146. This puts it between two brackets for the tax and more importantly the VRT!
    The new rates of motor tax are only for new and used cars registered on or after July 1 2008.

Any car registered before that will stay on the existing rate.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

esel wrote: »
    The new rates of motor tax are only for new and used cars registered on or after July 1 2008.

Any car registered before that will stay on the existing rate.

Sorry esel shoulda said, its a northern reg car so hopefully hold out till then to get it cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

enda_4 wrote: »
    its a northern reg car so hopefully hold out till then to get it cleared

You're aware you need to register it within 24 hours of bringing it into this country?

unkel wrote: »
    You're aware you need to register it within 24 hours of bringing it into this country?

Well I'm in australia at the moment so its not on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Changes aside, yes, we should be violently outraged. The changes don't matter too much, they're just making sure now that they're taking more money from the people who have it.

The examples I always use is that if you are in the UK, the more mature, not so chavvy boy racer on something not far above the average industrial wage, at a reasonable stretch can afford a new golf GTi if he makes a scarifice or 2 and has a good credit rating.

In Ireland, unless you're an absolute glutton for punishment on great money or independantly wealthy and more often than not, over the age of 35, it's totally out of the justifiable grasp of the overwhelming majority. That is how great the gap is between the manufacturers marketing and the cost due to tax.

30% VRT is cleverly nearly 40% in effect, so if this was the UK, the mondeo drivers would have 3 series (Top Gear's race 330D was a "rep-mobile", remember) and the 3 series drivers would have 5 series. The road tax would be far more affordable and you can always take the train for the commute and avoid the fuel duties.

So, if you've worked hard? Got that promotion? Been successful? Well, with that big pot of gold you have there, you're reward here is this 316i with plastic wheel trims and the other half of your treasure trove is for Bertie's raise for doing a great job.

Look at the debt of the average household in Ireland because of cars and houses for everyone under 40. That speaks for itself.

The hippies ignorance of motoring is another happy co-incidence. We are simply not big polluters overall and a pious crusade for the environment is not a good excuse to give motorists among the worst value for our tax money, probably in the world.

Changes or no changes, we should be up in arms over the amount of tax we motorists pay full stop- VAT, VRT, road tax, fuel duties (not as bad as others but overall it's simply far far cheaper than here) not to mention PPPs. They then impose these lack-of-public-transport taxes unrelentingly. They have us on every front as far as they can push. I just think they simply have us nicely tenderised to the point of apathy so they can do whatever they want now. Irish motorists are the battered housewives of Europe, IMO.

Can anyone tell me how much revenue is generated per motorist in Ireland compared to our neighbours? I think this would be the most imressive figure of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

cantdecide wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how much revenue is generated per motorist in Ireland compared to our neighbours? I think this would be the most impressive figure of all.

We're always going to may more than our neighbours. Ireland has a tiny population compared to the majority of developed EU countries. Of the ones with smaller populations, Latvia, Lithuania and Slovenia had the 'benefit' of being part of much bigger nations that could invest in them in recent history. Our population means less people to pay for infrastructure, so we each end up paying more. The likes of Malta and Luxembourg are so much smaller and more densely populated than us that they don't face the same infrastructure needs.

I think the problem isn't the amount that we're paying, but the lack of planning that goes into putting the infrastructure we need in place. Money is wasted by ineptitude in most of our public projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

phutyle wrote: »
    We're always going to may more than our neighbours.

I think the problem isn't the amount that we're paying, but the lack of planning that goes into putting the infrastructure we need in place. Money is wasted by ineptitude in most of our public projects.

I agree about the ineptitude but why victimise the motorist?? Afterall everyone uses the roads, not just new car buyers. If the income tax rates were each 1% or 2% higher because of our low population density (perfectly reasonable IMO), it makes little discernible difference to your pay packet and nets the exchequer a significant amount more for infrastructure without having to resort to victimising anyone. Anyway, the EU has funded the greater part of new infrastructure and we are still stuck with carbreaking national roads and car-annihilating backroads.

Are we so unique here that we NEED to have motorists paying vast vast penalties compared to fellow Earthlings? We are a rich country now or so they tell us.

Advertisement