Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My wireless hardware disappeared...

• 11-12-2007 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

I installed ubuntu recently, right after a fresh install of vista, and when I booted into vista, vista could not see the wireless card. so I reinstalled windows again (wiping ubuntu) and this time it did see it. Now, I love linux and don't want to buy another computer just yet just for it alone but I also like my wireless... Any ideas why or how an installation of ubuntu on a seperate partition might have that effect on a piece of hardware? (I did it before and it only switched the wifi card driver off and i had to get vista to switch on or 'fix' (it's word) the wireless card.

Any ideas how I might fix/find the card if this happens again? Windows didn't give me the option the last time to fix it - it just didn't see the card at all - it was as if it wasn't there - and I hadn't a clue how to get at it.

Realtek 8139 NIC, Atheros AR5007EG wireless card, vista basic home edition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Ubuntu shouldn't have caused that problem. You said you did a fresh install of Vista. Did you install the drivers for your wireless card -- along with motherboard chipset -- afterwards to enable you to use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I also see no way how Ubuntu could have caused this. Your Windows OS knows nothing of your Linux OS. While installing Linux, it will not modify the contents of your files in the Windows partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Some wireless cards have a little bit of memory that is writeable , if ubuntu was writing something daft there it would be an explanation why it worked again when you
    .....i had to get vista to switch on or 'fix' (it's word) the wireless card.

or you reinstalled vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭great unwashed

Thanks for all your replies.

It's happened again - the Atheros card doesn't show up in Device Manager under Windows and this time I haven't been mucking around with the network devices under ubuntu at all .

Ubuntu must be doing something though - it must see the card on boot-up and as you say, it tries to write something to the memory there or set some switch. I have no idea how to re-introduce the card to Vista now without putting in new drivers which I haven't got for this device only a recovery disk for the entire OS. (individual files on the disk are not an option far as I know)

Does anyone know if the hardware switches are accessible under windows? they will be under Ubuntu. only yesterday I installed a windows update for that driver - maybe that's the problem. Windows is crap. I'm buying a new plug in wifi card so I can physically reintroduce it if it goes to LaLa land the next time.

ethernet: regarding drivers, I only have a recovery disk, not drivers for individual components...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭great unwashed

There were windows updates due to be written to my laptop this morning which re-awakened the Atheros wifi card so I don't have to buy any just yet. I wouldn't trust Ubuntu to knock the driver out again if that's what happened the first time. Any of you know what windows does with hardware on boot-up that linux might interfere with? It really shouldn't unless there's a writable area on the card memory.

Anyway it's back of it's own accord for now. (which is a good reason to despise windows)

• Advertisement
Advertisement