Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video Marketplace is Here!What are your download times?Post here!

• 11-12-2007 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

So it's here at last.Just started 300 so will post back on how long it takes to get.Will be interesting from all the different providers how long it takes for the same movies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Ah so it is, how big is the file for 300?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

ShaneU wrote: »
    Ah so it is, how big is the file for 300?

5.1GB HD! on 2MB connection,Irish Broadband.I think we are all going to have to plan our movies well in advance!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

lol thats really not worth it at all!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Bros123 wrote: »
    5.1GB HD! on 2MB connection,Irish Broadband.I think we are all going to have to plan our movies well in advance!:eek:

Jebus, you might just get it for new years day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Why do people want this thing here!? We haven't the speed nor usage limit to support it. Plus is crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Why do people want this thing here!? We haven't the speed nor usage limit to support it. Plus is crap.

Beats me... I'd much rather just buy it on dvd or blu-ray, or even just lob a divx/xvid file onto a memory key and watch that instead... I'd even prefer to rent something than pissing away that much of my measly 40gb cap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I didn't think caps were still around? Just fair usage, I've never received any call or anything for downloading over 40gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

there is no way in hell i'm downloading a film from the video marketplace , it will have the 360 tied up with doing the download all day and night .

plus your doing that big download and the film will only be on your hard drive for a short time and then it deletes itself as your only renting the thing from what i understand of it ( open to correction on that of course ) .

i'll stick to buying my films from online stores and renting from xtravision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Downloaded 'Executive Decision' this morning for 250 points. Not bad if you're too lazy to get yourself to Xtra-Vision. I'd say it'll pick up once more titles come out, that or new releases as they're released in the shops...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Must check this out this evening. Wonder will I have any problems downloading from the Irish market place as I'm in Germany. My a/c is Irish and point purchases are made with my Irish credit card.Anyone know if they have restrictions on the downloads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

How many points is it for a movie?? have they any tv shows???

i may rent a few movies over christmas for the novelty, but there are plenty of websites that allow you to see movies for free.

so i would much rather save my points for an arcade game or classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

had a look through the films and you can download a HD version ( 720p widescreen) or a SD version ( 480p widescreen ) of both the new and older films.

new films are : 540 points €6.28 for HD and 380 points €4.42 for SD.

older films are : 360 points €4.19 for HD and 250 points €2.91for SD.

points convertor

might download a film in SD to try it out as there all just over a gig or so compared to the HD which are all over 5 gigs worth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That points converter is not correct for Euros, or other currency, values as he just takes the real USD and GBP cost of buying the points and then does a currency conversion. I have given him the actual cost of buying the points in Euros before but it seems he never bothered to update his script since then.

500 MS points = €5.82 - according to the converter
    500 MS points = €6 - actual cost to buy them via the marketplace

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Jesus Christ what a swiz.
    Who on God's earth is gonna wait that long to download a movie, after PAYING for it.
    Plus there's 5GB gone toward your monthly download limit,(if you have a limit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

They're really just getting the infrastructure in place. I reckon this type of service will eventually win over both blu-ray and hd-dvd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

jayteecork wrote: »
    Jesus Christ what a swiz.
    Who on God's earth is gonna wait that long to download a movie, after PAYING for it.
    Plus there's 5GB gone toward your monthly download limit,(if you have a limit).

I don't mind waiting if I can view it. A 1GB demo normally takes 20-25 mins for me to download, so a movie should take around 2 hours. Not that long imo, start downloading before work or when you get in from work and it should be there by the time you want to view it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Not to mention that some of us are happy with the SD version of the movies :o

Well considering the largest "offical" harddrive Microsoft have is 120GB, you're talking 24 movies before it's full, that's provided you can actually keep them(I read somewhere else that they delete after 24 hours).

No thanks mate. If I fork out cash I want something tangible - a box and a disc. It's the same reason I'll be staying away from Xbox original downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

5gb is about 5 hrs max on my connection (3mb), not bad at all. Stick it on before you go to work and the 360 will turn itself off once it completes. Or just get the SD versions, about 1-2gb.

Well considering the largest "offical" harddrive Microsoft have is 120GB, you're talking 24 movies before it's full, that's provided you can actually keep them(I read somewhere else that they delete after 24 hours).

No thanks mate. If I fork out cash I want something tangible - a box and a disc. It's the same reason I'll be staying away from Xbox original downloads.

They get deleted after 24 hours. This is looked upon as a rental service. If you want something tangible you'll be paying a lot more that 6 quid for it.

• Advertisement

Well ok. 5 hours seems to be the best speed here on some 3GB line.
    I think I'll pass - at the very best you're waiting 5 hours, you won't be able to use the internet properly during that time, and 5GB is added onto ISP's download limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Well ok. 5 hours seems to be the best speed here on some 3GB line.
    I think I'll pass - at the very best you're waiting 5 hours, you won't be able to use the internet properly during that time
    The connection is still fine for browsing/watching youtube videos.
    and 5GB is added onto ISP's download limit.
    Very few charge for going over the limit ;)

This kind of thing might interest me in 3-4 years when proper broadband is available commerically in Ireland and I'm not such a skinflint.
    Otherwise I know exactly how I'll be getting my movies.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    The connection is still fine for browsing/watching youtube videos.

Very few charge for going over the limit ;)

It's only if you are consistently going over it by a lot and if they see you using certain protocols such as torrents etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It's only if you are consistently going over it by a lot and if they see you using certain protocols such as torrents etc.

Xbox Live not a protocol is it? I thought it was classed as one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Fieldog wrote: »
    Xbox Live not a protocol is it? I thought it was classed as one....

Your getting very politically/technically correct.

Of course xbox live is a protocol, but not one which is frowned upon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Thats why the Ipod was such a commercial failure presumably:rolleyes:
    And the title of the thread is post your download times for Xbox Video marketplace not have a bitch about how crap Microsoft had added another feature to moan about.
    People should start another thread if thats what they want to do.Others including myself WILL use this IF a movie is there that i want to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

just to let everyone know

HD movie downloaded in 2 hours roughly.... well worth my god its amazing quality... movie then deleted itself off hard drive after 24 hours.

Rumour has it, cause i dont do it myself, downloading a normal sd movie through torrents takes about 2 hours...

i think its something for the future guys and we shouldnt be moaning, xtravision charge 5 euro for new releases, and eventually we will get hd ones for the same price?

Its good having a moan at microsoft...again, but in other countries this is **** hot stuff where connections are superior.

And i dont have a download cap so i dont mind it at all.

Good service will definatly do again when good films come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

What speed is your connection [DM]-TheDOC-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

24 hours and deletes itself? Well that's crap, I like to make a decision of getting a film and watching it whenever I want.

Advertisement