Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video Marketplace is Here!What are your download times?Post here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I like the idea. This format war is a bit of a joke, seeing as the equipment is so expensive and you may or may not have the correct format after paying for it. Also disks are old fashoned now, easily scratched and cumbersome to burn. I'd be on for downloading movies. 24 hours is too short though, a week is plenty. Also, if MS offered the option to download a HD movie for purchase onto an external HD or your PC for viewing anytime, then they'd be onto a winner surely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭the corpo

when you download it you have 14 days to watch it.
    once you start to watch it expires 24 hours later. they should just leave it at 14 days regardless. in my impatience i had a quick peek at what i'd downloaded this morning, just to see the pq, forgetting that i know have only 24 hours left to watch it, doh.

one cool feature, it estimates the download time, was downloading zodiac and at 76% it notified that i could start watching it, the download would continue in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

That is nice but hwo long did it take altogether and on what speed connection?

That's whats important. I don't want to plan to watch a movie, 4 days in advance so the download will be finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'd see myself using it, if the right content is there and the download times are tolerable. For now I'll be using the SD movies anyway (need to wait a while to afford a new TV :)) and it's OK. If you can get a new release at 250 points (about €3) it's cheaper than Xtra vision / Chartbuster and I don't have to leave my home.

Of course, as the service expands and there are more movies / tv shows to download it will become more compelling. Also, it's laying the groundwork for the future - as MS put it themselves, when they brought Xbox Live here there were only 9,000 residential broadband users in the entire country (only about 4 years ago). They're banking on the Broadband services improving again to match what they would like to do with this service.

I'd agree to a point that the 24h after you play it, then it deletes itself, thing might be a little tight on time. But if you look at it, when you used to rent a video from Xtravision / Blockbuster you only ever used to have it for one night.

The Video Marketplace is a rental service, for the most part, and in the States only certain releases (and TV Shows) can be purchased to keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

People shouldn't be getting angry at Microsoft for Ireland's lack of performance in the broadband sack! I do think the 24hr thing is a little crap though, as someone above me said, you should be able to watch the movie as much as you want over the fourteen days.

Personally speaking I'm interested in this service, because I want HD but don't want to buy into the horrible format war currently raging.

• Advertisement

I think the same thing Lex Diamonds. The format wars are horrible and I only want to watch one or two HD things at the moment, just to check them out on my tv.

I don't want to buy an overpriced player with limited content. Especially if I'm going to find out that one of my favourite movies is the other format. The whole format war thing is stupid. The only thing more stupid is the fanboys for both of these storage formats. It is only a data storage format!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

im on an eircom connection.

But it runs significantly faster then it should, probably im near an exchange or something.

Some people are so ****ing stupid. Read what it is, its a rental service, nowhere does it say they are permenant downloads.

Get a grip please and read some facts before mouthing of and bashing the service : /

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

im on an eircom connection.

But it runs significantly faster then it should, probably im near an exchange or something.

Some people are so ****ing stupid. Read what it is, its a rental service, nowhere does it say they are permenant downloads.

Get a grip please and read some facts before mouthing of and bashing the service : /

Exactly, reading this thread has pissed me off. I dont see how some people think the 24 hr thing is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

You people are getting it wrong. It stays on hard drive for 14 days, and then deletes itself after 24 hours once you hit play. Not that bad I think.
    Also I would download a full HD film over night easily, and i have average speeds, so whats the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

It is a good idea i think. Pity irelands crappy broadband, but a good idea still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

JM MARCONI wrote: »
    Exactly, reading this thread has pissed me off. I dont see how some people think the 24 hr thing is stupid.

It pissed me off as well!I started this tread for the reason the title says and logged in today to find all this crap written.
    Its a movie rental service and from my point of view will turn out to be a very good one in time.
    I have no problem looking through the videos on marketplace picking the one i want and then let it download while i go to work or sleep!
    I,like a lot of people,still dont have a HD-DVD player and until the format war comes to some sort of conclusion this is the only way i can watch HD movies.

And getting back on topic,took about 3 hours to get 6.1 GB movie on IBB 2MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Personally speaking I'm interested in this service, because I want HD but don't want to buy into the horrible format war currently raging.

That's Microsofts long range plan, digital downloads as opposed to physical discs, according to one Mr Michael Bay - clicky

Am gonna give downloading a HD movie a crack myself now, will come back with download time later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

I notice i can still look through the american video marketplace on my american account....will irish points work on an american to download films ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

There will be a mystery movie coming on the 28th December for people in the UK and it will cost 99p. I wonder if we will get it?

TMNT
    WE ARE MARSHALL
    BATMAN & ROBIN
    BATMAN FOREVER
    BATMAN RETURNS
    WILD WILD WEST
    US MARSHALS
    DEEP BLUE SEA
    SPHERE
    UNFORGIVEN
    MAVERICK
    CONTACT
    CONSPIRACY THEORY
    OUTBREAK
    LAST BOY SCOUT
    MISS CONGENIALITY
    ANALYZE THAT

List of movies coming before Jan 7th 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ciano1 wrote: »
    I notice i can still look through the american video marketplace on my american account....will irish points work on an american to download films ??

it won't let you download them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Unearthly wrote: »
    24 hours and deletes itself? Well that's crap, I like to make a decision of getting a film and watching it whenever I want.

Because that's the way most XtraVision stores work....

You have (I believe) two weeks to watch a film before it's deleted, and 24 hours once you've pressed play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

chrislad wrote: »
    You have (I believe) two weeks to watch a film before it's deleted, and 24 hours once you've pressed play.

you would be correct, tried downloading The Fugitive last night but it doesnt seem to be available, and neither do any of the previews.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Unearthly wrote: »
    24 hours and deletes itself? Well that's crap, I like to make a decision of getting a film and watching it whenever I want.

well all your doing is renting the movie, same as if you rented a DVD from xtra-vision for 24 hours.

no getting in the car to go to a movie store to pick one out to rent or returning it or late fees. as more and more films are added this will be a winner IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

They're really just getting the infrastructure in place. I reckon this type of service will eventually win over both blu-ray and hd-dvd.
    Maybe in ten years time!!

I like the idea of it however, mainly because watching HD torrents on my HDTV is a bit of a hassle. Think the pricing is a bit high though, and could they not let you hang on to it for a week and watch it as many times as you want.

• Advertisement

miju wrote: »
    well all your doing is renting the movie, same as if you rented a DVD from xtra-vision for 24 hours.

no getting in the car to go to a movie store to pick one out to rent or returning it or late fees. as more and more films are added this will be a winner IMO

Yeah but considering I have to download the movie, its not great value for money the way it is at the moment.

I don't think they are competing with Xtra-Vision so much as the online rental sites such as http://www.moviestar.ie/ where you can keep the movie for as long as you like.

Maybe a subscription service would work better for this kind of idea or at least they should offer a subscription version with a similar pricing model to moviestar who have reasonable pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

brim4brim wrote: »
    Yeah but considering I have to download the movie, its not great value for money the way it is at the moment.

I don't think they are competing with Xtra-Vision so much as the online rental sites such as http://www.moviestar.ie/ where you can keep the movie for as long as you like.

Maybe a subscription service would work better for this kind of idea or at least they should offer a subscription version with a similar pricing model to moviestar who have reasonable pricing.

I think the subscription thing could be a possibility. Just a matter of getting the movie studios to agree.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Bros123 wrote: »
    Thats why the Ipod was such a commercial failure presumably:rolleyes:
    And the title of the thread is post your download times for Xbox Video marketplace not have a bitch about how crap Microsoft had added another feature to moan about.
    People should start another thread if thats what they want to do.Others including myself WILL use this IF a movie is there that i want to see.

I said when I fork out CASH. The ipod was such a commercial success because, I would estimate al least 75% of the people who bought one downloaded their music for absolutely zilch.

And, I feel this thread is a perfect place to vent my spleen about Microsoft. Why start another thread?

jayteecork wrote: »
    I said when I fork out CASH. The ipod was such a commercial success because, I would estimate al least 75% of the people who bought one downloaded their music for absolutely zilch.

And, I feel this thread is a perfect place to vent my spleen about Microsoft. Why start another thread?

Well you could start a thread entitled "Vent your spleen about Microsoft here"
    at least then you would be on topic:rolleyes:
    And i would think your estimate would be very much off the mark if the success of itunes alone is anything to go by.

Has anyone experienced the problems that xbox live has been having with video downloads?Microsoft have admitted there have been a lot of problems with people not being able to download,incomplete downloads and people getting the wrong content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Can't wait until some sort of extreme compression is developed, the only I can see things like this becoming practical, or a really could net connection for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Bros123 wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced the problems that xbox live has been having with video downloads?Microsoft have admitted there have been a lot of problems with people not being able to download,incomplete downloads and people getting the wrong content.

yes looks like i have now, tried to download 300 in HD, was at 31% after 90 minutes (was going good on ntl 6MB!). all of a sudden its "finished downloading" so unless it downloaded 69% of 5.1gigs in 2 minutes I have an incomplete download - should i even waste time watching this? its obviously incomplete :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

meh i realised i have to actually re-download it when it stops like this. went up to 36% when i clicked download again - suggesting that it was downloading in the background even tho it didn't appear in my "active downloads" list.

and another 'MEH' - sound is only in stereo WTF? HD my arse :mad:

well this'll prob be the 1st n' last download i do off marketplace until MS rectify the following.

1. 14 days should be the TOTAL time i have to watch a movie
    2. no more disconnects while downloading reporting i have the movie downloaded.
    3. Errr HD sound!!! 5.1 at the VERY LEAST - what a joke this is.
    4. Shouldn't cost more than renting a proper HD film in my local vid store - 5.25eur for a blu-ray movie with proper audio - come on MS!! + I can only buy MS "points" in 500 increments - jasus they wonder why people turn to piracy :rolleyes:

as an aside, the speed to download seems pretty decent pity bout the rest :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

00sully wrote: »
    1. 14 days should be the TOTAL time i have to watch a movie

I'm pretty sure you do have 14 days in total time to watch the movie. though 24 hours after you first watch it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A question for anyone who has tried it out: do you need to be connected to Live to watch the film when it has downloaded, as our HD TV is in a different room to our modem?

But yeah I like the idea too. Don't have the money to be investing in a format which might lose at the moment, so a download without any new hardware is a huge bonus in my eyes. Its all going to be downloads soon anyway. Just need to wait til broadband connections get up to speed to handle this kind of thing en masse.

Although no-one has pointed out the major issue yet: 90% of these films are ****e. Americans get the likes of Akira Kurosawa's Dreams and the Fountain. Once that kind of highly visual stuff shows up, I'll be a happy camper.

Advertisement