Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video Marketplace is Here!What are your download times?Post here!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

miju wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you do have 14 days in total time to watch the movie. though 24 hours after you first watch it

yes but i cant start it, decide that i cant watch it now and start it instead tomorrow!

bah i watched 300 anyway and wasn't too impressed with the quality tbh :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Zodiac - 7 hours and it's in Stereo - fuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 OracleOfTruth

1. 14 days should be the TOTAL time i have to watch a movie
    What is peoples issue with this? You watch a film once and then you have no need for it for a few months a least. Unless you are weird and like to watch your films in 30 minute segments throughout the week.

My views on the service were initially good but the pricing was wrong. e4.50 for a HD film was a good price but the new release prices are too high considering you have to pull 5 gigs and leave the xbox on for a few hours which costs money.

The timing isn't an issue, as stated who needs a movie for more than 2 days, Xtravision only loan you a movie for a day. The pricing isn't to far out, it's similar to what you would pay from a rental store. but why is it in Stereo ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

brim4brim wrote: »
    I don't think they are competing with Xtra-Vision so much as the online rental sites such as http://www.moviestar.ie/ where you can keep the movie for as long as you like.

well moviestar costs you €4 for 2 weeks as well plus you dont have to go to a post box

• Advertisement

It would be great if BT done away with the broadband download monthly caps, two films in HD and thats me over the limit, or even one film and a few demos :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

miju wrote: »
    well moviestar costs you €4 for 2 weeks as well plus you dont have to go to a post box

No but you have to use your own bandwidth and wait for it to be downloaded which on some Irish connections will probably take longer than the delivery time from Moviestar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

stereo is the dealbreaker for me, didn't spend so much time putting together a surround sound sytem for stereo.

cheers MS, but no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Is it only certain movies which are stereo or are all HD movies stereo?
    If so thats a bit of a balls

brav wrote: »
    Is it only certain movies which are stereo or are all HD movies stereo?
    If so thats a bit of a balls

I'd say its all of them TBH, probably to reduce the size of the files but why not have an option for them like with SD and HD?

The pricing is a bit much if you don't even have the option of surround sound.

I've not bought one yet. I might but then I don't have a surround sound set. Just use my TV's built in speakers because its in my bedroom.

• Advertisement

I have dix movies at 700meg with a full 5.1 sound track - at an estimate the sound could only take 200meg. Why couldn't they have used the audio codec like this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

yeah 5.1 should only take a few hundred megs - its a disgrace.

and on the 24hour thing, i can rent most of those movies from xtravision for more than a week - old releases like the fugitive? pffft.

what if other people want to watch it the day after im done with it? plus they're not even losing out on having the movie out of stock like brick n' mortar shops so why not just let you have for a week?

took only 3-4 hours to download 300 tho which wasn't bad considering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 NewBalance

This service has arrived 2 years too late! Poor over priced films you can find in the bargain bin at xtravision for a tenner - and you get to keep them.

A good idea would be to offer to download Classic Xbox Games or brand NEW 360 Games at a discount as your paying the developers/MS directly - plus no packaging/disc/manual etc. Ok so you'll lose the touchy feely thing by losing the box - but imagine holding the crisp €20 you just saved in your mits instead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I can only imaging stero lmit being imposed by the studios, not MS themselves. They had no problems releasing HD films with 5.1 soundtracks on the US marketplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

i downloaded 300 but it says its incomplete? Do I have to pay for it again, or have I done something stupid?

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    I can only imaging stero lmit being imposed by the studios, not MS themselves. They had no problems releasing HD films with 5.1 soundtracks on the US marketplace.

I imagine it has something to do with our pathethic broadband speeds too. They have real broadband at reasonable prices in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

brim4brim wrote: »
    I imagine it has something to do with our pathethic broadband speeds too. They have real broadband at reasonable prices in the US.
    Films aren't noticeably smaller for our service and we still have 9gb films on there.

Also the average BB speed in the US is 1.9 - 4.8mbps depending on what you read. Either way not light years ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Films aren't noticeably smaller for our service and we still have 9gb films on there.

Also the average BB speed in the US is 1.9 - 4.8mbps depending on what you read. Either way not light years ahead of us.

Well that might be the overall average speed but much higher speeds are available to those who want them and usage caps aren't commonplace like they are here.

I was over there last month and a friend had just gotten a fibre optic connection installed. Tons of channels including loads of on demand HD content and 30 mb download with no cap. "You lucky bastard" i said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Just went to speedtest.net and checked out some speeds measured in the USA. I know its a poor indication of the average but at the end of the day I'm pretty sure they would have the option of a better service.
    I just got a phone line for internet access and I'm now told the max speed i can get is 1mb. So much for ringing up smart asking for their 7mb service :rolleyes:

EDIT: sorry, never saw post above till after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

correct me if im wrong but its the movies arent full hd are they?someone said they were 720p,i know this is better than a dvd but how does it compare to a hd dvd drive is it the same?

• Advertisement

coolhandc wrote: »
    correct me if im wrong but its the movies arent full hd are they?someone said they were 720p,i know this is better than a dvd but how does it compare to a hd dvd drive is it the same?

720P is HD. 1080P being true HD is marketing hype. 1080P looks better alright but 720P is HD too.

HD just means high definition and its anything about 480P. You can go higher than 1080P but good luck finding anything like that in the consumer market at the moment. That will be once they sell ya that HD-DVD player. Then they'll release SHD or Super HD or something like that. I'm pretty sure they already have it planned out. I read about it somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Well The 100 points for 300 movie isn't there at the moment!Microsoft messed this up i think,was supposed to be from 00.01 am on 28th Dec for HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

Bros123 wrote: »
    Well The 100 points for 300 movie isn't there at the moment!Microsoft messed this up i think,was supposed to be from 00.01 am on 28th Dec for HD.

Are you sure it's not the SD version is on special offer? Just checked and 300 (SD) is available for 100 MS points and HD is 540 pts, whereas Zodiac (SD) is 360 points and HD is 540 points also, pretty much all the others are the same. So i'd imagine, it's the SD version which is on special offer.

JeanClaude wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not the SD version is on special offer? Just checked and 300 (SD) is available for 100 MS points and HD is 540 pts, whereas Zodiac (SD) is 360 points and HD is 540 points also, pretty much all the others are the same. So i'd imagine, it's the SD version which is on special offer.

Nope.HD for 100 points.

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/news-features/news/300_Video_Store_19122007.htm

And the ad is showing here,prob just for today.

http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/default.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

Looks like someone in microsoft made a mistake,:D should we wait a while a see if they reduce the HD version aswell? I'd like to see 300, and see the HD on my TV aswell.

So has everyone tried the service yet?
    I have just gotten Oceans 13,took about 3 hours to download in HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

mossym wrote: »
    stereo is the dealbreaker for me, didn't spend so much time putting together a surround sound sytem for stereo.

cheers MS, but no thanks

After spending the majority of January doing up a room with new HD Tv, couch and surround sound where the mrs can leave me be, decided to try out the download service to put the setup to the test in HD.
    Pulled down the Matrix HD in about 4.5hrs @ 3MB speed.

Have to say as I've no HD DVD player I appreciate the service and it's another string to Live's bow, but the lack of 5.1 really is a show stopper.

Fix that and I'd be use it more often

Advertisement