Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the best Santa in dublin

Options
  • 11-12-2007 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I want to bring my son in to see Santa in town to make a big day of it.Has anyone got any recommendations for us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

Tazwas wrote: »
    I want to bring my son in to see Santa in town to make a big day of it.Has anyone got any recommendations for us?

I always thought Clearys had the best one, but seen as they don't do the window for the Kids anymore maybe the Santa is lacking aswell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

We've been using the Santa Steam Train for the last few years. A bit dear and you have to book months in advance, but everyone gets a good day out, even the adults. Also, Santa come to you in your seat which beats being in a queue any day. The kids get selection boxes rather than a cheapo toy - some people prefer that, others dont.
    As for the shop ones, I believe Arnotts one is good but be prepared to queue for a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

Dublin Zoo is the best for me. Its a breakfast with santa gig. You get a buffet breakfast then his helpers come to your table and bring the kids up to meet santa to get their gifts. you have to pre book though. I used to do the Santa Express (steam train) but was turned off by the fact there is alcohol available

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Dublin Zoo is the best for me. Its a breakfast with santa gig. You get a buffet breakfast then his helpers come to your table and bring the kids up to meet santa to get their gifts. you have to pre book though. I used to do the Santa Express (steam train) but was turned off by the fact there is alcohol available

Hmmmm, strange you should say that, its one of the things I like!!
    Have yet to see anyone over-indulge which is great.

P.S. have also used the zoo, and would highly recommend that as a venue too. These type of things take more planning but make the santa visit much more of an occassion compared to going into a shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

switzers..oh wait

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

switzers..oh wait
    I was actually going to start a thread called "Brown Thomas has Ruined Xmas".

The absolute bastards with their commercial window.

It was a treat, a day out for me when I was younger to go over and see Switzer's Window, then go to The Bad Ass Café for a Pizza and a Knickerbocker Glory.

I actually am really upset with BT over this, and I refuse to shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I heard the Santa in Arnotts is good but liek someone else said, be prepared to queue forever to see him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Cleary's used to be but it's gotten pretty rubbish tbh
    but
    this year we are going to see santa in the DSPCA

you make a contribution and get biscuits for the parents and toys for the kids
    and a tour to see the animals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

DesF wrote: »

I actually am really upset with BT over this, and I refuse to shop there.

the fact that they charge twice the usual price for any clothes in their store is the reason i wont shop there

but the window is terrible as a child i was always brought in to see the window and now its a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Today FM had a chat about this today. The best ones that they came up with were Dundrum (this was the best), Arnotts (cos its free), Stepehns Green and some farm that I can't remeber the name of.
    The first 3 have quite a long wait.someone said 40 minutes on Tuesday!
    Going to see Santa is always going to be an expensive experience but to see the glow on the childrens faces is always worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

Stephens Green is vey good, real beard !!!!! although the wait can be up to two hours.I am bringing my kids there again on Sunday,getting in early !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mcvitie

Visited Santa at the DSPCA on Saturday (three adults, two kids aged five and seven). Best ever Santa experience - got to meet the man himself, he gave each child a cuddly animal as their present, they got a story told to them and we got to visit all the animals (cats, dogs, sheep, goats, donkeys, ponies, pigs, geese etc....) and then free tea/coffee/juice and cookies as well as a gift set for your animal. Such a nice change from the queuing for hours and spending ridiculous amounts of money. Highly recommended! Oh and forgot to mention each child got a personalised letter from Santa on arrival!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Beechman wrote: »
    Stephens Green is vey good, real beard !!!!! although the wait can be up to two hours.I am bringing my kids there again on Sunday,getting in early !!!!!!

Yeah the guy in Stephens Green is great, you'd nearly sit in his lap yourself, really soft caring voice and he really get's into the role.

This year we went up to http://www.santascottage.co.uk/, it was really well done, only catch is it's a bit of a drive from Dublin, but my daughter loved it. It's in the middle of nowhere and you have to drive through a dark forest to get to it, so you come out of the forest and are dazzled but this field full of christmas lights.

We took our daughter to Santa at the DSPCA yesterday, and it was a great trip. Well organinsed, good gift, and plenty to see out there too. And all going to a good cause as well.
    I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

A little off topic but a funny story...

My sister took my nephew to see santa last year (in Dungarvan) and my dad was talking to him afterwards giving him the whole grandfather thing...

Dad - "so did you see santa today?"
    Nephew - "yes"
    Dad - "and what did santa say to you??" (expecting ho ho ho)
    Nephew - "Next"!!

Thought it was the funniest thing ever. Felt kinda bad for my poor nephew, and obviously a crap santa, but funny to hear from a 3 year old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Anyone see the santa in Citywest SC? I was really dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Dont go to the one on Blanchardstown. My parents brought the little cousin and was asking where she was from, she said finglas, and santa said to her
    "Dont think Santa will be going down there tis year, he might get shot" :eek:

Dont get me wrong, Im from finglas and dont mind when peopel say this joking but ffs, santa saying this to a 10 year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jn5

i am taking my guys to see the santa at city hall on dame street its meant to be really good if that helps anyone loooking for a recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Des wrote: »
    It was a treat, a day out for me when I was younger to go over and see Switzer's Window, then go to The Bad Ass Café for a Pizza and a Knickerbocker Glory.

I used to be brought to Eddie Rockets afterward for a burger and milkshake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

Any recommendations for 2009.I'm thinking of bringing my little treasure to arnotts but I'm open to other suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Any recommendations for 2010?

We used to go to the zoo breakfast with santa but they have changed the format this year and with the way things are its expensive.

Someone suggested Hamleys in Dundrum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Michelle O Connor Dub

Hi Michelle here

Myself and my three kids visited Santa @ the North Pole Experience (The Red Cow Complex) last year. It was a great experience for myself and my kids.. It was Brill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hi Michelle here

Myself and my three kids visited Santa @ the North Pole Experience (The Red Cow Complex) last year. It was a great experience for myself and my kids.. It was Brill.

You sure you don't work there? You posted the same thing over on magicmum last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

You sure you don't work there? You posted the same thing over on magicmum last night.

Indeed PP only joined this month and has made only 1 post. Shame on you Santa’s little helper, Your Santa’s knee at
    North Pole Experience (The Red Cow Complex) will definitely not feel the warmth of my children’s bums this Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I think my girls went to Clerys last year - (tbh they were only interested in the pressie) I was thinking about going to the DSPCA - that looks good.

Just remembered that there's a Santa Grotto in the Botanic Gardens - not sure of price or anything like that - but it might be worth a shot (there's a restaurant in the Gardens which is reasonable - and the car parking is free) I think I might look into that a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

I brought my kids to the Santa in St. Stephen's Green Shopping Centre last year and they want to go back again this year - to the real Santa as they call him. He is some old American biker dude and the fact that his beard is real sold it for them. He justifies his American accent by saying that the North Pole is at the top of Greenland/Canada and they were happy with that. Besides, with all the Christmas movies that they see from the States, I'd be surprised if they didn't think he should have such an accent.

I have to say I thought he was quite good and gave them the spiel about why we have Christmas and the nativity story which was a little different than usual. The grotto isn't that big, but mine (7, 5 & 3 years) didn't give a damn about it.

I heard the ISPCA one in South Dublin is good too but can be booked up very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭med1

i do the santa special steam train its a great day out i know its a little expensive 16 euro each but that includes a selection box for the kids as many photos with santa as you can manage free and a trip to maynooth on the train so overall great value

Advertisement