Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual sim holder

• 11-12-2007 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi. I was thinking of getting a dual simcard holder for separate voice and data sims. I was thinking of using a payg tesco or meteor sim for voice plus a payg three sim for data. From my calculations, in terms of payg offerings, this combo would be the cheapest: Tesco or Meteor Voice: 20c/min Three 100mb Data: 5.99 Total: Under 40 euro/mth for me. So: 1) Where can I get a good dual sim card holder 2) Will it work with a HTC smartphone (p3600) 3) If i 'm using one sim for data at the time of an incoming call to the other sim card, can I get the other sim's voicemail to divert to the number of the sim i'm using. 4) Lastly where the fcuk can I get a standalone payg three sim. (Yeah I know they have that dumb no sim policy but still anyone know?).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭guydub

If you go to the call divert option on your phone you can divert one number to the other for when it is off. Dual sim car holders are readily available in phone unlocking shops or can be got online. I use a phone that can hold two sim cards and both are active at the same time so i dont need to divert one to the other. These phones are only available from Asia but a dual sim adapter that fits into any phone cane be easily bought in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭lassykk

hi

can any phone be set up 2 use 2 sim cards at the same time? my gf has a nokia 7373 on o2 and it would be perfect if she could have her o2 sim and a meteor sim (so we can text for free) as she wants to stay wit o2 if possible.

can someone explain how dis works or if it can work? sorry its prob sometin v basic but i don't know anything about such things.

sorry to be jumping in 2 dis thread

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

the post above yours says that phones that do that are only available in asia. and plz dnt use txtspk its v annyng. u hv kb, use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

guydub wrote: »
    If you go to the call divert option on your phone you can divert one number to the other for when it is off. Dual sim car holders are readily available in phone unlocking shops or can be got online. I use a phone that can hold two sim cards and both are active at the same time so i dont need to divert one to the other. These phones are only available from Asia but a dual sim adapter that fits into any phone cane be easily bought in Ireland.

Thanks.
    Just realised what I was suggesting wouldn't work would it?
    If you're using one sim (for data say) that means the other (unused) sim will not be connected to its network.
    So you can't divert the call from that sim if its not connected can you?
    I'm a bit confused about divert options for an unused sim tbh- you can't divert from an unused sim to a used sim can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You'll most likely hit a dead end. There are Dual SIM adaptors that rarely work with 3G SIMs (USIMs), and the ones that do support them are very vague in detail (with most of those few saying they don't support 3G data, just voice).

If you do get one, you can only have 1 SIM active at any given time. So you won't be able to make/take a call on one SIM whilst browsing on the other.

You could divert all calls on your voice SIM to your data SIM if you intend to be using the data SIM for some time (so that at least you can still receive calls, although most phones will then pause the data connection, but that's an aside). You will be charged for that divert.

There are a few dual-SIM phones, but most are Asia-only and most (that I've read about anyway) don't have 3G data support (let alone HSDPA).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

cgarvey wrote: »
    You'll most likely hit a dead end. There are Dual SIM adaptors that rarely work with 3G SIMs (USIMs), and the ones that do support them are very vague in detail (with most of those few saying they don't support 3G data, just voice). If you do get one, you can only have 1 SIM active at any given time. So you won't be able to make/take a call on one SIM whilst browsing on the other. You could divert all calls on your voice SIM to your data SIM if you intend to be using the data SIM for some time (so that at least you can still receive calls, although most phones will then pause the data connection, but that's an aside). You will be charged for that divert. There are a few dual-SIM phones, but most are Asia-only and most (that I've read about anyway) don't have 3G data support (let alone HSDPA).

OK thanks.
    So the main snag is the lack of support for 3g.
    Fair enough.
    But the divert from an "inactive" unconnected sim to an "active" sim is possible atleast- from what you say.
    Incidentally would the charge for a divert be a lot btw.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

A divert would be the cost of call between the two sims, but your tariff might determine whether this came out of your minutes etc.

Advertisement