Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routers going bad???

Options
  • 11-12-2007 4:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

How can you tell if a router is failing? I have no problems surfing or anything, but intermittent connection/slowness situations have started me wondering. It is a D-Link DI-524, about 2.5 years old. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I'd be more inclined to blame your ISP. Do you know what the contention ratio on your connection is?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Also have a look at what other wifi routers have popped up near you...

When I setup my router 4yrs ago it was just me and a neighbour - now I'm surrounded by over 12 different networks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carlimited

ethernet wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to blame your ISP. Do you know what the contention ratio on your connection is?

:confused: HHHmmm - the short answer to that is "NO"! LOL. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carlimited

RikD wrote: »
    Also have a look at what other wifi routers have popped up near you...

When I setup my router 4yrs ago it was just me and a neighbour - now I'm surrounded by over 12 different networks :(

It doesn't seem to affect my wireless machines, just my wired one, and only seems to keep dropping MSN (people keep appearing and disappearing). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If its just your wired connection I might be more inclined to look at either the ethernet ports on the computer and the cable connecting the two than the router, at first.

Try reinstalling your ethernet drivers. Do you have alternate ethernet ports on both the router and the wired computer that you can try connecting through? If so, try using those for a while. If that doesn't work, try changing the cable. Also, try connecting one of your wireless machines through the wired connection, see if you still have the problem that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Carlimited wrote: »
    How can you tell if a router is failing? I have no problems surfing or anything, but intermittent connection/slowness situations have started me wondering. It is a D-Link DI-524, about 2.5 years old. :confused:

ping rte.ie -t

If your ping starts going all over the place do a tracert and a pathping to rte.ie see where the problem is. That's how I'd do it anyway. It may not be you at all, may be your ISP the above shoudl help anyway before you start pulling cables out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Two things:
    1. How many PCs are on the net, and have you added more recently? Could be QoS issues.
    2. Does MSN sign you out, or just people appear offline, then online again? People might just not like you!

Advertisement