Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nutritional value of parboiled rice?

• 11-12-2007 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if Uncle Bens parboiled wholegrain brown that cooks in abt 10 mins is as nutritious as regular longer cooked brown rice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some say it is actually more nutritious (see wikipedia). The parboiling is usually done under pressure and is said to lock the nutrients into the grain structure. To make sure more is not washed away it is best to use only the water required, but becareful of burning the bottom of the pan. It is better done in the microwave, some people do not like microwaves, so bang it in a pyrex dish, cover and do it in the oven along with your meal.

Uncle ben wholegrain is usually top of the list when I compared it to other brown rice brands, roma was worst, tesco was OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

cozmik wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Uncle Bens parboiled wholegrain brown that cooks in abt 10 mins is as nutritious as regular longer cooked brown rice?

Thanks!
    Parboiled rice is the same as white rice. It's like over 90% starch, it's pretty nutritionally valueless and will mess with your insulin levels. Eat as little of it as possible.

According to this random swiss rice website parboiled has a little more niacin, but sucks in every other comparison with white rice, which is evil anyway.

If you really must eat rice, stick to the brown/wholegrain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

rubadub wrote: »
    Some say it is actually more nutritious

I've heard that too, but on the other hand people say that brown rice that has not been parboiled is the more nutritious of the two.

So it's a bit of a dilemma, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Answers on a postcard please.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

White rice is crap, I think we are all agreed
    brown rice that has not been parboiled is the more nutritious of the two
    The way I read it was that parboiled wholegrain would have more nutirents than "normal cooked" wholegrain.
    In some countries, rice is commonly consumed as parboiled rice, also known as easy-cook rice. Parboiled rice is subjected to a steaming or parboiling process while still a brown rice. This causes nutrients from the outer husk to move into the grain itself. The parboil process causes a gelatisisation of the starch in the grains. The grains become less brittle, and the colour of the milled grain changes from white to yellow. The rice is then dried, and can then be milled as usual or consumed as brown rice. Milled parboil rice is nutritionally superior to standard milled rice. Parboiled rice has an additional benefit in that it does not stick to the pan during cooking as happens when cooking regular white rice.

A nutritionally superior method of preparing brown rice known as GABA Rice or GBR (Germinated Brown Rice)[2] may be used. This involves soaking washed brown rice for 20 hours in warm water (38 °C or 100 °F) prior to cooking it. This process stimulates germination, which activates various enzymes in the rice. By this method, a result of research carried out for the United Nations Year of Rice, it is possible to obtain a more complete amino acid profile, including GABA

I had forgotten about the GABA rice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice

Of course information on wikipedia should be treated the same as that written on a toilet wall.

According to this random swiss rice website parboiled has a little more niacin, but sucks in every other comparison with white rice, which is evil anyway.
    I presume "full rice" is brown, and that the parboiled is white parboiled rice.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.riso.ch/index.cfm%3Ffuseaction%3Dshow%26path%3D1-285-202.htm&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.riso.ch/index.cfm%253Ffuseaction%253Dshow%2526path%253D1-285-202%2526teaser%253D0%26complete%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

rubadub wrote: »
    White rice is crap, I think we are all agreed

though basmati rice isnt complete crap though mid gi range etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

ali.c wrote: »
    though basmati rice isnt complete crap though mid gi range etc!
    and gorrrrgeous. The smell of it cooking... :)

Advertisement