Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts!(Scary Content)

Options
  • 11-12-2007 8:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭

Is wicklow a good place for ghost sightings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

chdpoker wrote: »
    Is wicklow a good place for ghost sightings?
    i have heard of a few places in wicklow alright the last one was the gaol,,,

http://www.wicklowshistoricgaol.com/paranormalists.htm
    there is alot of history in wicklow and the surrounding areas so i would say there has been reports alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Damn you, clicked on this thinking there was gonna be somethin really spooky in here :-)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

pookie82 wrote: »
    Damn you, clicked on this thinking there was gonna be somethin really spooky in here :-)
    I think that was the idea. But theres lots more stuff if you search the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Poltergoose

Aughavanna youth hostel is supposedly haunted by a hangman, think his name was Hempenstal or something, he was murdered at the gate and is said to haunt the area.Glenmalure also is said to be haunted by soldiers who died in battle there.I think there is a legend associated with Glengalough not sure what the story is but I think its about a women in red seen along the lake shore.Also an area high above the river in Enniskerry called "lover's leap" is said to be haunted by a girl who took her own life by jumping in to the river, hence the name.
    Thats about all I can remember for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sing_dumb

I live in Wicklow, and 5 days a week, I commute up and down the N81. Now, if you are faint of heart, get out of this post NOW!!! (Do not say you were not warned!!!!) Anyway, anyone familiar with the Blessington Lakes, will know the awful bends at Poulaphouca, just by the ESB station. Has anyone ever noticed the many sad little headstones and roadside memorials to people who have been killed in RTA's in and around that spot? I have always believed that this was due to people not excerising due care/sobriety/vigilance when taking that really bad stretch of road. That is until.....(CUE...scary music.....)I gave one of my neighbours, who is 81 yrs old, and who has lived in West Wicklow all his life, a lift up to Tallaght Hosp.

As we approached this same stretch, he said to me...."always, always, just look straight ahead, NEVER look back, when you are driving on this road". I agreed, and said yeah, it is very dangerous to drive here, and you should always be 100% focussed. "No, I don't mean that", says Johnny sorta' whispering, "I mean, the "other quare oul' thing"!!! "What's that, Johnny"? says I, "tell me about the other "oul thing". "Well" says he, "the reason so many people die along this spot is coz' of their cars going madly out of control. And, the reason SO MANY cars go out of control here, is coz' people drive along, doing grand, only to look in their mirror, and see strange people sitting in their back seat. Except, those people were not there a few seconds previously, and in fact, they are ghosts"!!!!

Apparently, the fright is SO great, that many cars crash or flip over, when the driver loses control after seeing this apparition. I checked out this story with some other local people, and they said sure everyone knows that!!! Well, I did'nt, but, aghhh...I do now!!! The lovely house right on that road, is supposed to be utterly haunted too, and right eneough, it has been sold and bought at least three times, in the last 4 years.

The ghosts that commandeer the back seats, are supposed to be dressed in rags, and those poor souls, are still trying to flee the Famine. People who have survived RTA's on this place, have sworn that this was the cause of the crash.

Who knows?? Just be aware, and take extra care, on the severe bends at Poulaphuca (which by the way...translates from ancient gaeilge.. as "route of the spirits"!!!).
    Then, borrow your Mammy's Padre Pio relic, (just like I did!!) to grip tightly, just as you approach the bends, and sweat like a pig, trying NOT to look in your mirror, to see who, or what, might just be sitting in your back seat. Completely un-invited!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

sing_dumb wrote: »
    I live in Wicklow, and 5 days a week, I commute up and down the N81. Now, if you are faint of heart, get out of this post NOW!!! (Do not say you were not warned!!!!) Anyway, anyone familiar with the Blessington Lakes, will know the awful bends at Poulaphouca, just by the ESB station. Has anyone ever noticed the many sad little headstones and roadside memorials to people who have been killed in RTA's in and around that spot? I have always believed that this was due to people not excerising due care/sobriety/vigilance when taking that really bad stretch of road. That is until.....(CUE...scary music.....)I gave one of my neighbours, who is 81 yrs old, and who has lived in West Wicklow all his life, a lift up to Tallaght Hosp.

As we approached this same stretch, he said to me...."always, always, just look straight ahead, NEVER look back, when you are driving on this road". I agreed, and said yeah, it is very dangerous to drive here, and you should always be 100% focussed. "No, I don't mean that", says Johnny sorta' whispering, "I mean, the "other quare oul' thing"!!! "What's that, Johnny"? says I, "tell me about the other "oul thing". "Well" says he, "the reason so many people die along this spot is coz' of their cars going madly out of control. And, the reason SO MANY cars go out of control here, is coz' people drive along, doing grand, only to look in their mirror, and see strange people sitting in their back seat. Except, those people were not there a few seconds previously, and in fact, they are ghosts"!!!!

Apparently, the fright is SO great, that many cars crash or flip over, when the driver loses control after seeing this apparition. I checked out this story with some other local people, and they said sure everyone knows that!!! Well, I did'nt, but, aghhh...I do now!!! The lovely house right on that road, is supposed to be utterly haunted too, and right eneough, it has been sold and bought at least three times, in the last 4 years.

The ghosts that commandeer the back seats, are supposed to be dressed in rags, and those poor souls, are still trying to flee the Famine. People who have survived RTA's on this place, have sworn that this was the cause of the crash.

Who knows?? Just be aware, and take extra care, on the severe bends at Poulaphuca (which by the way...translates from ancient gaeilge.. as "route of the spirits"!!!).
    Then, borrow your Mammy's Padre Pio relic, (just like I did!!) to grip tightly, just as you approach the bends, and sweat like a pig, trying NOT to look in your mirror, to see who, or what, might just be sitting in your back seat. Completely un-invited!!!!

That is an AWESOME post. I've totally got the shivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yeah great effort on the post davyjose, its worth pasting into the
    "Ghosts what are your expereinces Thread"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

leinsterparanormal where in wicklow gaol last week with rte1. there was a bit of it on Seoige & O'Shea yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I love stories like that, dont know if I could help myself I'd just have to look in the rear mirror. Or dare the person beside me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

That's really cool, I've driven up and down there a few times! In the bus mind you and half asleep!

For some reason it reminds me of a little road in Wexford. I don't know the name of it but it sorta connects Barntown to Ferrycarraig, to the right and going left brings you to Galbally, for anyone familiar with the area. It's only a small road, like a back lane sorta thing, all covered over with big big old trees, and a little river/stream running along one side, when you emerge from the trees you're passing under the railway and facing out on the Slaney, and on to the Heritage Park.

Just before you hit the shaded part there's a big junction, on a humpback bridge, just beside the bridge is the ruins of a little stone cottage, I can't remember the story about the bridge or the cottage, but I think it was something about people hiding under it to escape the redcoats or something, and being brutally murdered...

Anyway, a bit along from there there's a HUGE sweeping entrance. The entrance itself is probably about 10-15m wide, and about 10m deep. Two big iron gates are flanked by iron railings sweeping out to the roadside. The gates haven't been hung in years so have been leaning against the railings. For about that 30m stretch of road the air gets cold, even in the summer, with a single patch of light in the middle of the entrance.

The lane itself is like a dirt track, shaded by Laural trees the whole way up. The lane also becomes dark and cold as you walk up it, and the ground always seems mucky. The lane leads to, if I remember correctly what used to be a landlords, and later a priests house. It's huge big, manor-looking place, never been to it as it's privately owned now, but it's miles off down the lane, once you climb to the top of a big hill, and is surrounded for miles by open green fields. Before the house, just at the end of the shady part of the lane is a pathway, through a field, and through a ditch, into what used to be a graveyard, surrounded by tall stone walls. The walls are over grown, and inside the grounds are overgrown. As far as I remember it was a 1798 graveyard, I could be way off though.

I've only been to the graveyard once, but for years I'd just get the creeps passing the entrance. I was told though that the area is guarded by a headless horseman. For some reason when I passed the area since I get images of a big man on a tall black stallion but that's prob just my mind! :p However, a friend of my nan's was down there one day, out for a walk with her grandson, for some reason they were stopped at the entrance. As the grandson, wandered around, I think he was collecting helicopters off the sycamores or summit, one of the big iron gates fell on him, ou of no where and killed him. He was only a small 4year old and it would have taken a lot more than his megre strength to even budge one of those gates. I don't think they ever found out what happened, just put it down to accidental death but I think it was something supernatural...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Stoner wrote: »
    yeah great effort on the post davyjose, its worth pasting into the
    "Ghosts what are your expereinces Thread"

Yeah well, it costs nothing to say something positive

Advertisement