Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food you liked as a child that you don't eat now?

• 11-12-2007 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I used to really like the following foods, but don't care for them now.

Mc Donalds, BurgerKing, Chippers etc..
    Pizza
    Fizzy drinks Coke, 7up...
    Fish Fingers

what would you eat as a kid that you don't like now? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

walnuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Sour,fizzy flying saucers & eating paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Angel Delight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Marzipan. I never loved it, but when I was a child I'd eat it and wouldn't mind. Now I hate the stuff, even thinking about the taste makes me feel sick.

Oh, and Kandee ketchup. Vile.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Fish fingers.

My flatmate still eats them. What's worse, she buys "Asda value fish fingers". God only knows what's in there, but I'd doubt there's any fish!

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Fish fingers.

My flatmate still eats them. What's worse, she buys "Asda value fish fingers". God only knows what's in there, but I'd doubt there's any fish!

Oh jesus :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Colcannon,
    sausage mountain,
    grass,
    rubarb leaves (later found these are poisonous but did me no harm *head twitches* )

TheNog wrote: »
    grass

Lol! I should hope you don't eat it anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

When I was younger I used to LOVE those crispy pancakes, I'm not sure who makes them but basically they had different fillings like chicken and sweetcorn or bolegnese wrapped in some sort of breadcrumb batter, they're kinda hard to describe but about two weeks ago I was in Tesco and got a really bad craving for them so I bought them but I could only manage a tiny bit of the outside before I had to throw them out...they were just SO vile!!

TheNog wrote: »
    Colcannon,

I used to love that too but I think it could have been because we only ever had it at Halloween and it was full of pound coins wrapped in tin foil. It makes me gag now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Huh-whaaa??

Colcannon is potato, cabbage, and lots of butter mixed together.

Hallowe'en? Wrapped in Tin Foil? Pound Coins? Jesus.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Whats wrong with Colcannon? Sure it's only mash and cabbage... I still eat it.

My addition to the list is YOGHURT. Blech.

Bard wrote: »
    Whats wrong with Colcannon? Sure it's only mash and cabbage... I still eat it.

My addition to the list is YOGHURT. Blech.

Speaking of yoghurt, I always liked Petit Filous, until I figured out that "fromage frais" is actually cheese, not yoghurt. That kind of put me off. I'd still eat them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

For me, boiled ham... I can't eat it any more.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Gammon steaks :o pleu

Mr E wrote: »
    Huh-whaaa??

Colcannon is potato, cabbage, and lots of butter mixed together.

Hallowe'en? Wrapped in Tin Foil? Pound Coins? Jesus.... :)

hahah, we can't be the only people who did that??

I can't remember what the reasoning was behind it but my mum used to always wrap coins up in tinfoil and hide them in the colcannon, kinda like how you find the ring in the brack...

I don't like mashed potato (can't stand the texture), and I don't like cabbage (taste) so maybe that was the only way my mum could get me to eat it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fish fingers.
    I came here to say this, I used to love Fish Finger Sambos.
    Speaking of yoghurt, I always liked Petit Filous, until I figured out that "fromage frais" is actually cheese, not yoghurt. That kind of put me off. I'd still eat them though.
    Same aswell, but I don't eat them anymore. Can't stand them.
    Malteaser! wrote: »
    hahah, we can't be the only people who did that??

I can't remember what the reasoning was behind it but my mum used to always wrap coins up in tinfoil and hide them in the colcannon, kinda like how you find the ring in the brack...
    Is colcannon not Kale and Mash?

That's what hallowe'ens in my house were anyway.

POUND COINS?! :eek:

We used to get twenty pences, and be glad of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

When I was younger I used to LOVE those crispy pancakes, I'm not sure who makes them but basically they had different fillings like chicken and sweetcorn or bolegnese wrapped in some sort of breadcrumb batter, they're kinda hard to describe but about two weeks ago I was in Tesco and got a really bad craving for them so I bought them but I could only manage a tiny bit of the outside before I had to throw them out...they were just SO vile!!

Exact same as me. Findus Crispy Pancakes. I used to live on the minced meat ones. Tried the chicken ones the odd time. Used to put them in between bread, or with waffles, or just by themselves. Got them a few years back and they were muck! No wonder my Mum always hated seeing me eat them.
    Rarely drink fizzy drinks now too.
    Corned Beef would be another thing. I'd still eat Billy Roll though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

wtf is Billy Roll?

Another thing that my mam used to buy was Pork Onion & Tomato.

A sandwich meat that was vile. But still, it was kind of spicy, so I ate it. Wouldn't touch the stuff now though.

DesF wrote: »
    wtf is Billy Roll?

Oh god i remember that.Makes me vomit at the thought.
    I think Billy Roll is the same as pork onion & tomato.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Exact same as me. Findus Crispy Pancakes. I used to live on the minced meat ones. Tried the chicken ones the odd time. Used to put them in between bread, or with waffles, or just by themselves. Got them a few years back and they were muck!

+2 I tried them again last year and vomited. Vile, vile stuff.

wtf is Billy Roll?

A sandwich meat that was vile. But still, it was kind of spicy, so I ate it. Wouldn't touch the stuff now though.

Oh gross, I remember that! We used put it in sandwiches... Then we realised how gross it was and used buy it to give to our dog as a treat. How can you have pork, onion AND tomato in one piece of "meat"?

wtf is Billy Roll?

This is billy roll right??

19846529_0e8ed20723.jpg

Ugh, yeah, I think it is. With that creepy smiling face on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

The Findus Crispy Pancake made me think - French Bread Pizza. The crust was always very crunchy and loud when bitten into and the topping was always scalding hot - so hot that the roof of my mouth would be tender for a few days after eating one of these.

+3

But I'm convinced that they actually used to be nice but they changed them. I don't remember them as being hard and greasy with hardly any filling like they are now.

I was eating the mince meat ones before (I was on the couch so I was kind of lying back) when the filling fell out and landed on my chest. It was piping hot and it hurt like hell, the next day when I woke up I had a huge blister on my chest. It was there for ages, I even had a red mark for months after. I think that's what put me off them for so long and when I had them again they just weren't the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

it's your lucky day as in you won't be put off anymore when you eat them, the only difference between yoghurt and "fromage frais" is minimal.they just add cream to make fromage frais to make it more onctuous. there are other small difference within the techniques they use to make them both, but essentially they are both just curdled milk, (which, to be fair is also how cheese making starts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Raw skinless sausages.

Bleurrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! What was I at?

I used to love them too, I was always robbing them out of the fridge. I used to drink cold oxtail soup mix too :o

• Advertisement

Ugh, yeah, I think it is. With that creepy smiling face on it...

Oh well then....gross.

I used to love banana sandwiches as well when I was a kid but now I find them digusting...The smell of the banana just puts me off.

Advertisement