Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Played COD2 last night and...

• 11-12-2007 9:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Played COD2 last night for the first time since COD4 came out...must say that for me it is still a FAR more enjoyable experience than COD4. The game still looks very good even after playing COD4 and the gameplay is infinitely better.

The whole feel of COD2 still beats COD4 hands down...maybe it was a combination of the WWII setting, playing CTF and the more relaxed non-frantic kick and rush game play which you get in COD4 which all combined to make it better

I guess I am more into gameplay and enjoyment rather than visuals which obviously COD4 wins (although COD2 still looks good).

The only problem was that I kept trying to sprint and bash using the wrong keys for the first ten minutes and it kept bringing up the team message menu all the time on me laugh.gif

It was a real eye opener to me to be honest and showed me how they have taken a great series of games and changed it too much and lost their core values...great pity.

I will still play COD4 obviously but only when clanmates of mine are on playing it. If no-one is on, then it will be COD2 for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Last night i put away my 40" HDTV and went back to my 12" Black and white TV.

Its amazing! Everything is so clear, no colors to confuse me anymore.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

WellyJ wrote: »

LMFAO!

Not quite the same thing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

WellyJ wrote: »

LOL WellyJ :D

I award you the "Call of Duty Forum - Post of the Month Award"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

COD 4 is awesome, never really enjoyed COD 2, but this is great, and I don't have the best computer so don't have the best visuals, and I've played alot of COD 2 and alot of source games, but this takes the cake. All of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭niallispuresex

For the moment cod2 is better cause it has none of the headless chicken rubbish from cod4. Two reasons
    Maps too small
    People are point hungry.
    But, The mapping tools came out with patch 1.3 and soon if you want to change settings on your server it wont become unranked. Soooooo maps will be bigger servers will remove stupid m203s and martyrdom and people will stop going point hungry because they've reached the top. Therefore there will be a slight hint of teamplay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Just for infos on that last point, gameplay will be there, beleive me, guys are working on CTF and Conquest based game mods already :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Gameplay is there imo in bucketloads.
    I hated cod 2 from the beginning and nomatter how many times i tried to like it i hated it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

and soon if you want to change settings on your server it wont become unranked.

Hope u noticed this Cully. Sooner the better but I'm sure we will have to wait till after Christmas before it happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Greenback

COD2 was too arcadey for me at the time, and although the graphics on COD4 are VERY good, the gameplay is there. Especially in hardcore mode the games are a lot better. Always liked a bit of realism in my gaming and a single shot kill makes the players a bit more careful. just wish the gits would play the objectives better :)

CODUO was better than COD2 and i still play that regularly.

• Advertisement

Here's my experience of the different Call of Duty games:

CoD1: 9/10

Probably my favourite game ever. Super accurate online and extremelly satisfying. First game I played online properly (joined a team, played in competitions, etc etc).

CoD:UO: 2/10

My expectations of this game were simply too high. I hated it. Stuck with CoD1 (as most teams in France did). Rarely played it. Cr@p overall...

CoD2: 6/10

Disappointing overall... Too inaccurate online. Preferred CoD1 but stopped playing it because everybody switched to CoD2.

CoD3: 0/10

The b@stards never even released it on the PC. Boooooooh! :mad:

CoD4: ?/10

Jury is still out on that one as I only started playing it 2 days ago (played Single Player maybe 1 hour and Multi-Player maybe 15 minutes). Liking it so far and loving the fact that it runs smoothly on my old 7800GTX at 1152x864. Will look better on my new XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog though! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

CoD:UO: 2/10

My expectations of this game were simply too high. I hated it. Stuck with CoD1 (as most teams in France did). Rarely played it. Cr@p overall...

Can you give us any specific reasons for the 2/10?

I thought it was an improvement (single and multiplayer) over CoD1. It added many more facets to multiplayer with the vehicles and Tanks.
    Base Assault with 50+ players was as intense an online experience you'll ever get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

I thought it was an improvement (single and multiplayer) over CoD1. It added many more facets to multiplayer with the vehicles and Tanks.
    Base Assault with 50+ players was as intense an online experience you'll ever get.

Totally agreed.

COD1 was fantastic - 9/10.
    CODUO was even better - 10/10.
    COD2 was such a dissapointment - 4/10
    COD4 is very good too - 8.5/10

MOH airborne - now there's one crap game:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭niallispuresex

CoD3: 0/10

The b@stards never even released it on the PC. Boooooooh! :mad:
    Then you wont be happy when i tell the same crowd who made cod3 are making cod5 and since they make console games only i believe another pc miss.
    Also i think it'll be pacific theater.
    Also Here's my ratings

Cod1 -1/10 Complete and utter pants, some how spraying is more accurate that aiming....

CodUO 7/10 Tanks and jeeps were great craic

Cod2 9.5/10 Loved this game, i joined late in the game so there were maps out along with mods so little headless chicken stuff. Also the main reason why cod1 is so low because i started online games with cod2 and then played cod1 so not really a fair rating.

Cod4 9.5/10 The missing .5 is bigger maps and that's all, other wise brilliant!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Never really got into COD2. It was enjoyable enough, but I thought COD:UO was an infinitely better game. I would put COD4 more in the same bracket as UO, so far I've really enjoyed it.

I think CoD 5 will be PC bound. There was a job advertised by Treyarch looking for peeps and "mad pc game dev skillz" were required.

Will be happy once custom maps are brought into CoD 4 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

haha hell yeh, cod:uo rocked, absolutly loved the jeeps and the tanks, meep meep

Blowing up a tank from behind with just a panzershrek!!!

Ahhh the memories...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'm one of those that hated CoD2, that game blew big time.

I liked CoD4, but quickly got tired of it tbh, for some reason it felt more repetative than other cod games.

I liked the first one the most.

I used to be a UO player primarily, then switched to the first game and slowly realized that the first one was indeed better than UO and any other cod aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

COD UO was my favourite, what with Base Assault and jeeps and tanks and bazookas...and no online radar like COD 4 which tells you where the enemy is with its red dots, in the old days of UO etc you had to hunt for your foe with your instincts and memory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Remember flamethrowers in the snow around Foy in COD UO!!
    Foy.jpg

You outlined exactly why I hated it Heebusjeebus! :D

I loved CoD1 because I am a huge fan of S&D (never played anything else and probably never will) and I only like playing wars in 3v3, 4v4 and 5v5 format.

I loved the accuracy of the game. I loved the small maps like Carentan and Dawnville. I loved the fact that you needed to strat the maps to pieces to even hope of winning a war! I loved that sh!t! And I thought UO would be more of the same but it went in a completely different direction altogether...

I hated the huges maps and the tanks and the jeeps and the Domination game type... I just hated it!

And it's weird because UO seems to have worked extremelly well in the UK & Ireland but in France (where I play - always had French teams) nobody bothered with it. People stuck to CoD1 and only stopped playing it when CoD2 came out (and even then the switch was disappointing...).

And it's for these reasons that I don't have a problem with the size of the maps in CoD4. I don't find them small at all. As somebody already mentioned on this very forum, they were designed for 5v5 max. wars. Not for 30+ slot servers.

Tomohawk wrote: »
    Remember flamethrowers in the snow around Foy in COD UO!!
    Foy.jpg

Not really... lol Played UO for about 1 hour in total! :D

Horses for courses i'd say Stefano. By the way when CoD 2 arrived UO was still thriving online, many many dutch and german servers up. Dunno what it is with the french ;) I love open maps, plenty of small cover from damned snipers. Foy and Italy were my 2 favorite maps from UO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

COD 4 > COD2 tbh.
    COD 2 felt far more repetitive for me than no 4.

Advertisement