Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showing a friend around Dublin

Options
  • 11-12-2007 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭

Hey.

So I live in Belgium a tthe moment though I'm from Dublin so i have invited my girlfriend over for after Christmas.

she is intrigued by my love for the city and my nostalgia I guess but now that she has booked flights I have realised, feck! what do I show her...?

So was thikning the usual Guinness brewery, Trinity college etc., but also Howth head, Phoenix park etc. Anyone got any ideas? The weather will no doubt be cold and dreary and town PACKED with the sales so in the three days we have it would be a little tight.

Would love ot hear about any cool/strage/interesting exhibitions/christmas events that are on.

Cheers all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

This thread may be of interest. Also the Christmas fair down in the IFSC looks interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

will you have a car? if you do go to sally gap and surroundings, sandymount strand and or the jetty by the stacks in dublin bay, bull island, phoenix park...

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

The Christmas Market opened in the IFSC today, it's well worth a look. There's a crib outside the Mansion House with real live animals from Monday to Friday... it sure gets me in the Christmas mood!
    Phoenix Park is lovely, whether you visit the zoo or not.
    Stephens Green is nice for a wander too if you're short of time and dont wanna travel far. they've lots of hungry to ducks to feed too.
    Or just take the DART out to Howth or Malahide and go for a walk around the marina, followed by a few pints in one of the locals to warm yourselves back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If you have a car take her out of the city. Theres only so many landmarks you can visit. The two of you should take a trip down to Avondale, beautiful area and the drive also has great scenery if you go through the Dublin mountains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Mulligans in Poolbeg Street... everyone has to meet at least one grumpy barman in their life!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mydarkstar wrote: »
    The Christmas Market opened in the IFSC today, it's well worth a look. There's a crib outside the Mansion House with real live animals from Monday to Friday... it sure gets me in the Christmas mood!
    Phoenix Park is lovely, whether you visit the zoo or not.
    Stephens Green is nice for a wander too if you're short of time and dont wanna travel far. they've lots of hungry to ducks to feed too.
    Or just take the DART out to Howth or Malahide and go for a walk around the marina, followed by a few pints in one of the locals to warm yourselves back up.

Is the crib beside the mansion house not open on saturdays? Ah crap had planned to go up there this saturday

Where abouts in the IFSC is the christmas market?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

enda1 wrote: »
    Hey.

So I live in Belgium a tthe moment though I'm from Dublin so i have invited my girlfriend over for after Christmas.

she is intrigued by my love for the city and my nostalgia I guess but now that she has booked flights I have realised, feck! what do I show her...?

So was thikning the usual Guinness brewery, Trinity college etc., but also Howth head, Phoenix park etc. Anyone got any ideas? The weather will no doubt be cold and dreary and town PACKED with the sales so in the three days we have it would be a little tight.

Would love ot hear about any cool/strage/interesting exhibitions/christmas events that are on.

Cheers all!

What parta Belgium you in?
    I just moved to Ireland from Belgium and it's a fierce different country altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

kearnsr wrote: »
    Is the crib beside the mansion house not open on saturdays? Ah crap had planned to go up there this saturday

Where abouts in the IFSC is the christmas market?

My apologies, the live crib is open at weekends, dunno why I thought otherwise.
    http://www.visitdublin.com/events/AllDublinEvents/Detail.aspx?id=244&mid=3298

The IFSC Market is in Georges Dock, sorta opposite the Harbourmaster pub.. just follow the smell of mulled wine and currywurst (yum!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I just moved to Ireland from Belgium and it's a fierce different country altogether

You're from Belgium? With a sentence like that you sound like you were born & rared in Ardee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

BendiBus wrote: »
    You're from Belgium? With a sentence like that you sound like you were born & rared in Ardee :D
    Hey! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

BendiBus wrote: »

From hanging around Irish bars you see.

Thats what the Irish do abroad

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

hey enda treat your belgian to some wildlife spotting in the city.Today sitting on the james joyce bridge i spotted with my telescope a crow,a seagul,a magpie,a moggy and some one legged europikey trying to fall into people's cars.Or how about showing her the slanty church in glasnevin?Bring buns from thunders bakery in phibs.Get the dart out to howth junction and you can stroll through some housing estates befor having a well earned break in the comfort of donamede shopping centre.There's a library.Or how about a trip to ballyfermot?There's a pub and a bookies to greet the weary traveller.Or why not go for a big stroll along fortfield avenue?It's a long road and should kill an hour while you're waiting for the weekend to finsh befor you go back.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

also enda why not take her up the stoneybatter and on the corner there's an african barbers,he wears a big purple gown that makes him look like a bishop.I've brought some english friends there and told'm it was bishop tutu.Also while in the area you could drop down to scooter island and spend an hour looking at fab vespas.You can tell her alll about mods and stuff.Bring a mars bar and a bottle of pop with you as there's not a spar within 100metres of that place.

Advertisement