Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting this PC - what do you think?

Options
  • 11-12-2007 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi All, I'm thinking of getting this PC from hardwareversand.de -

Case: AXP Midi-Tower 791B black, ATX, ohne Netzteil

PSU: ATX-Netzteil Thermaltake Toughpower 750W mit Kabelmanagement

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Tray, 8192Kb, LGA775, 64bit, Kentsfield

CPU Cooler: Scythe Andy Samurai Master, Sockel 478,775,754,939,AM2

Motherboard: ABIT FP-IN9 SLI, LGA775 NVIDIA 650i SLI, ATX, PCIe

RAM: 4096MB DDR2 Corsair Twin2X CL 5, PC6400/800

DvdRW: Samsung SH-202N schwarz bare Lightscribe

Grfx: 2 X Club3D 8800GT, 512MB, NVIDIA Geforce 8800GT, PCI-Express

SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer

1st HDD: Samsung HD501LJ 500GB 7200,16 MB Cache

2nd HDD: Samsung HD501LJ 500GB 7200,16 MB Cache

O/S: MS Windows Vista home premium 64bit Englisch

Comes in at a grand sum of: 1.468,23 €

What do you think? Is Vista 64-bit any good for gaming? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks OK to me, the only think I could pick at is that the board is very outdated.

64 bit can be a hassle getting drivers in some instances, and certain games will not work on 64-bit. Not many games specifically support 64 bit at the moment but almost every game will work.

Punkbuster for instance had problems with 64-bit last time I checked, although that was a while ago, even if it is remedied now it gives you an idea of the potential issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭billius

Havok, can you recommend another board? I'm a bit out of touch with the latest motherboards, my last build was 2 years ago!

I kinda wanted to stick with SLI - would the ATI card be good enough to play Crysis on high settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Lord Deco

billius wrote: »
    I kinda wanted to stick with SLI - would the ATI card be good enough to play Crysis on high settings?

No the 3850 is not good enough for crysis at high settings,its a good card but not crysis,I think Crossfire is still struggling with Crysis,but that may change with future driver updates.....

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8V8oHPqTqT4xh1/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=18496&agid=659 For Ati crosssfire....

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8V8oHPqTqT4xh1/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=8734&agid=659 For Nvidia Sli....

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8V8oHPqTqT4xh1/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=18310&agid=659 For Nvidia Sli,(would be my choice)

I wouldnt do sli/crossfire performance increase is not great value for money and feb/march is just around the corner and nvidia/ati will be releasing Crysis killers then....

I would get a single Ati 3870HD,it will handle crysis fine at medium settings (8800gt cant do high either imo)

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=342330

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks for the advice! I may even wait until feb/march f next year, to see what happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Lord Deco

billius wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for the advice! I may even wait until feb/march f next year, to see what happens!

Always good to wait,but you dont have to,a hd3870/8800gt are fine cards,you can play now,then sell them in march for the new ones....

Not much is happening between now and march on the cpu/ram front in terms of performance/price.....I would buy now,its been a long time since there's been so many great games...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

Lord Deco wrote: »
    Not much is happening between now and march on the cpu/ram front in terms of performance/price.....I would buy now,its been a long time since there's been so many great games...

Apart from intel releasing a 45nm version of their dual core range. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

To be honest if your looking for a future proof PC you might aswell wait till January as there is a whole new set of cards and mobo's coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Stev_o wrote: »
    To be honest if your looking for a future proof PC you might aswell wait till January as there is a whole new set of cards and mobo's coming out.

I've been telling myself that for the past 5 years.. I still haven't made a "future proof" computer yet or mind you, a computer..

Come january, something else will be coming in March etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

toco123 wrote: »
    I've been telling myself that for the past 5 years.. I still haven't made a "future proof" computer yet or mind you, a computer..

Come january, something else will be coming in March etc.

Welcome to the world of PC's the ever running treadmill where you think your that bit ahead only to find out the guy beside you is miles ahead of you. =( depressing stuff both mentally and financially

Advertisement