Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poor trade in offers

Options
  • 11-12-2007 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Jesus I am getting some pretty funny quotes form trading in a petrol engine car , Volvo s60 2l Petrol 02 was pretty much offered 4500 - 5500 for it :eek: was asked for 16,000 for it to trade in for a car marked 22K and the sales guy couldnt understand why I wasnt going for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

bennyc wrote: »
    Jesus I am getting some pretty funny quotes form trading in a petrol engine car , Volvo s60 2l Petrol 02 was pretty much offered 4500 - 5500 for it :eek: was asked for 16,000 for it to trade in for a car marked 22K and the sales guy couldnt understand why I wasnt going for it.

That might be right as Volvo's do loose alot of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

From what I hear second hand car market is in trouble. No one wants to buy second hand so the dealers hate taking a trade in now - hence the prce. Also as pointed out Volvos have an awful trade in/resale value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Why are Volvos so poor for resale value? They sell S40s by the bucketload these days. Surley that would be a good thing for depreciation?(though S60's aren't and never were that common)

E92 wrote: »
    Why are Volvos so poor for resale value? They sell S40s by the bucketload these days. Surley that would be a good thing for depreciation?(though S60's aren't and never were that common)

Yeah new ones and the dealers make the profit, not when you go to sell it .I know as my dad bought a car for 60k (s80 t6 in 2000) ,in 2004/5 it wasnt even worth 15k.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Buying a high end Volvo new is bonkers imho! My father in law bought a 4 year old high spec low mileage full history spotless S80 for about €16k from a dealer with a full years warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

dealers in ireland want -

small engined newer plate BMW's
    toyotas
    golf tdi
    and some fords - pref fiesta/focus 1.4 or tdi

everything else in their book has the potential to sit for months on their forecourts, therefore they tell you its worth fook all - unless of course your trying to buy it - then its the best car ever and a bargain at whatever price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

just dump your car in the autotrader and rover price it like the rest of them. besides everyone knows dealers do there best to low -ball you... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

drdre wrote: »
    That might be right as Volvo's do loose alot of value.

In that case I will have another one same spec as mine for 6-8K please

In that case I will have another one same spec as mine for 6-8K please

I know what you are saying but seriously thats the situation with volvo's, also the dealer will put on his profit,service it, give a warranty etc so he will increase the price so if you will sell it for 6k to him he will sell it on for around 10 or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

as said by others, dealers don't want your used cars on their forecourts unless they're sure it will shift on fast, so its got to be an "in vogue" car such as a MINI or one that's popular with the masses such as a 316 or a 1.4 Focus/Golf. Try rolling up to a VW dealership in anything other than a VW...

So they offer you a crap trade-in allowance, hoping you'll get the message!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - have you advertised the car for sale yet? If so, post a link to the ad. I know someone who might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Volvo S60, nice car ,I would love one. The problem with cars with big engines is the cost of running, along with the maint cost of a volvo make it less desirable . but that is a stupid price for it, I would have taught it would be at least 10K depending upon mileage . best off to try and sell it privately .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, did you get prices from other garages?

Also if you live in a city it might be worth traveling to a dealership outside the city as they maybe a bit more eager for your business. In my experience it has been well worth my while travelling a bit for a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I think you will find generally that high spec cars will nearly always get a better trade in price with dealers in the city, where as low spec ones tend to do better down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, did you get prices from other garages?

Also if you live in a city it might be worth traveling to a dealership outside the city as they maybe a bit more eager for your business. In my experience it has been well worth my while travelling a bit for a better deal.

got prices from several garages in the west and the worst was the VW.
    The place I bought it have come back with 9 and are looking into doing a better deal.
    TBH it is worth 12500 - 13000 to me so I will just leave it as it is a class car with all the bells and whistles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

How many miles on it?

If you have topped the 100k mark they wont really want to know you.

If it is over 100k, then 5k is probably about right: add a couple of thousand to service clean up, gaurantee etc, as a slow mover they will have to cover the cost of money probably just sitting on the forecourt for a few months, and make a profit. Unfortunately in this numberplate obsessed country it turns a whole year older in a couple of weeks, so you would need to be thinking about a value that you might more associate with a 2001 machine. They would be lucky to get 9k for it.

got prices from several garages in the west and the worst was the VW.
    The place I bought it have come back with 9 and are looking into doing a better deal.
    TBH it is worth 12500 - 13000 to me so I will just leave it as it is a class car with all the bells and whistles.

Your best bet is put it up on carzone today and see if it sells, If not then trade it in, At least you can say you tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

drdre wrote: »
    Yeah new ones and the dealers make the profit, not when you go to sell it .I know as my dad bought a car for 60k (s80 t6 in 2000) ,in 2004/5 it wasnt even worth 15k.

Ha! Was this before or after you fubar'd the engine ??;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

E92 wrote: »

From personal experience, I can testify that the answer to the OP's question lies buried in your reply - you just don't know it.

S40 = Bucket

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Must be worth more than 5k (is worth more than 5k)
    Shop aroud alot and be an absolute B.a.s.t.a.r.d to the sales men...Do your homework....Know your facts.

BTW im looking for a cheap volvo 240 if anyone knows of one going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=808322

Condisering dealers won't offer u exact market value, warranty etc... But if u got offered anything over 8-9k on a trade in i'd take it.... What's the mileage on urs? And u have to consider it's a 2petrol... With this new tax coming(although it won't affect ur car) people are still very sceptical about what they buy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

galwaytt wrote: »
    S40 = Bucket
    I have one(not even the Ford Focus based one so the one that's supposed to be rubbish) and while it's not a drivers car or anything like it, its not a bucket or anything even close to a bucket. There are far worse cars on the road than it.

Advertisement