Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out a house while travelling?

• 11-12-2007 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I own a house in Dundrum that I was thinking of renting-out while I went travelling for a while. Has anyone ever done this? Would this be difficult to do? If there are problems can you really be abroad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My sister is currently doing this, very successfully. She has a management agent who make sure the place is occupied and kept in good order. They obviously get a cut of the money, but they also ensure everything is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

Thanks for replying. What is a management agent & where do you get one? What would do if there were problems & you are away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

most of the bigger estate agents have a rental section. Lowe do anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,455 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be carefull if you have bought it in the last 5 years - certain tax exemptions may be clawed back.

It was announced in the budget that this is changing to 2 years, but I suggest getting Revenue Commissioners approval, as it is not yet law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My sister's house in Drogheda. Not sure what estate agent she is using.

If there are any major issues, then they have contact details for my parents, who can make any decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭domania

Remember that if you are renting out your house for more than 1 year it becomes classed as an investment property and when you go to sell it you must pay capital gains tax of 20% on the profit. Assuming there will be any left by the time the crash is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,455 ✭✭✭✭Victor

domania wrote: »
    Remember that if you are renting out your house for more than 1 year it becomes classed as an investment property and when you go to sell it you must pay capital gains tax of 20% on the profit.
    This is proportioned. If it was a principla private residence for 60% of the ownership and an investment property for the other 40%, then only 40% of the CGT is payable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

domania wrote: »
    Remember that if you are renting out your house for more than 1 year it becomes classed as an investment property and when you go to sell it you must pay capital gains tax of 20% on the profit. Assuming there will be any left by the time the crash is over.

Negative buzz!

Advertisement