Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Dinner

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Was thinking of making a ballotine of turkey rather than the traditional roast. There will be four adults and two kids for Christmas dinner. Cooking even the smallest bird will mean trying to make use of the leftovers for days.

A ballotine is deboned, stuffed and rolled. Usually made with the breast meat, the bird is skinned and deboned. The skin is kept intact to make the roll. Legs & thighs are used in other dishes or frozen, carcass makes stock or soup. No waste, but not looking at a cooked turkey for days after.

I am happy to make the dish, Gary Rhodes - At the Table has a recipe and all the technique needed, but his recipe has a ham stuffing, which I can't use. Has anyone made a version of this? Looking for alternatives to the stuffing? Other recipes?

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mine went spendidly today anyway! Everything turned out very well! :)

And there's enough turkey left over for a couple of sandwiches! \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Minder wrote: »
    Was thinking of making a ballotine of turkey rather than the traditional roast. There will be four adults and two kids for Christmas dinner. Cooking even the smallest bird will mean trying to make use of the leftovers for days.

A ballotine is deboned, stuffed and rolled. Usually made with the breast meat, the bird is skinned and deboned. The skin is kept intact to make the roll. Legs & thighs are used in other dishes or frozen, carcass makes stock or soup. No waste, but not looking at a cooked turkey for days after.

I am happy to make the dish, Gary Rhodes - At the Table has a recipe and all the technique needed, but his recipe has a ham stuffing, which I can't use. Has anyone made a version of this? Looking for alternatives to the stuffing? Other recipes?

Thanks

How about a Turkey crown.

There are just the two of us and we wanted to have Christmas dinner before we went to our families. Turkey crown feeds 4-6 so for the two of us we had more than enough but it was delicious!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Minder wrote: »
    No waste, but not looking at a cooked turkey for days after.

I use Turkey leg for the bottom slice, a layer of Ham and then Turkey Breast on top. I cut off the Remainder of the breast and some of the good leg bits to keep for Sandwichs. Then the turkey is picked at til all the meat is off, I use the carcas to make the stock for the turkey stew.

On removal of the turkey carcas, I add all the picked off turkey meat, fresh veg, seasonsing, a stock cube or twom a couple of spuds . The left over stuffing I just feck everything I have into it and you have the most delicious turkey stew going.

Its handy for when people knock in you just give out a bowl and a sambo and everyone is happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

24th December

Mum's homemade lasagne. It has made grown men weep

25th December

Champagne and nibbles - yum
    Smoked salmon and homemade brown bread - yum
    Melon - yum
    Turkey and stuffing (almond/sage/cranberry), ham (cloves, demerara,dijon) roasties, mash, ordinary potatoes, carrots,roasted parsnips, peas, Brussels sprouts (my favourite veggie ever) and GRAVY
    Homemade Christmas pudding/trifle
    About sixty million sweets - truffles/quality streets/after eights/Terrys chocolate orange etc
    Disgustingly large sandwich with turkey/ham and everything else
    Washed down with about 3 bottles of wine each and then at least 3 "OK one more then and then I'll have to go to bed" glass of ruby port.Yum.

26th December

Repeat as above, yum

27th December

Miss Fluff and loved ones vow to "be good" in New Year.

28th December

Revert to old ways, planning new year's dinner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

I have 7 adults for dinner I'm so excited Christmas Dinner truly is the most tempting culinary delight. We'll be having:
    Nibbles instead of starter which will be: homemade liver and port pate on homemade spelt bread with redcurrant jelly, mustard and honey coaktail sausages(for the kid in all of us) and mini prawn cocktail made with homemade marie rose sauce on the aforementioned brown bread.

Main Event: Roast organic turkey, coca-cola honey glazed ham, my nanny's secret stuffing recipe, uber crispy roast potatoes, creamy parsnip and butternut squash bake, steamed sprouts and turnip with bacon, also bread sauce, and gravy of course, no bisto here.

Dessert: If we can fit it: Almond topped mince pies with brandy cream and custard.

SLEEP IT OFF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Its my 1st year to cook Christmas Dinner lots of planning going on

Smoked Salmon Vol a vonts .. I think

Roast Red Pepper Soup

Mango & Lime sorbet

Roast Turkey, hang, Duck fat roasted spuds, mashed spuds, lemon buttered carrots, broccoli, brussel sprouts, Roasted cranberry sauce, Lemon & tarragon Stuffing with loads of gravy

Christmas Pudding
    or
    Fresh fruit salad with a hint of Apple Mickey Finns (Pudding does be too heavy)

Mince pies and booze
    then a
    Long walk with the dogs....:D

Advertisement