Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bringing a car back from Oz

Options
  • 11-12-2007 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Ì'm thinking about going working in Australia for 9 months in March. I was thinking about selling my car before I go over and buying a car there to bring back. I'm not sure what the saving would be like on VRT versus the shipping home. I've found a website www.drive.com.au for used and new cars but I'm not sure if it's the best. I would be spending €10k to €12k and I'm thinking either a Mazda 6 estate, Subaru Impreza Hatch or a Subaru Legacy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The car you'll import will fall under the new motor tax regime. Even for a basic 2l Impreza / Legacy this will mean €1,000 road tax and for a still relatively modest WRX (non STI) 2.5l 230BHP it means €2,000 road tax. Boxer motors produce a lot of CO2 :(

See the sticky for the new rates

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I looked into it and seriously considered buying while there.

Shipping is no where near as much as you might think but you will have to pay VRT AND[\U] VAT on return if its not a personal import.

Cars that are silly prices here and cheap there are the best options - ie Jap cars as European cars are expensive there but its difficult to find something you can get the exact same spec car here in. (mostly bigger engines there)
    Golf GTI - is one thats the same - but the price saving is less than a Jap car.

The year of their cars is based on the year it was imported but we go on year first reg, so you can save a packet by buying say an 07 compliance new car there at a discount in 08 (feb/march is best for this)- it will be 08 here when you bring it back then.

Alot of people who are out there go for the Toyota Landcruiser Amazon or Prado as they escape some taxes they have there because they are 4*4 (I think) making them very cheap ( about 50k) - the Amazon is about 100k here.

The main point I would try get across is making sure its available in the exact same spec here - otherwise parts etc may be a real problem for you.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Do i remember a rule that if you can prove you have lived in the other country and have owned the car for 6 months you're exempt from VRT? Vague memories of reading about this, but not sure.
    Either way, tax is going to be a killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Do i remember a rule that if you can prove you have lived in the other country and have owned the car for 6 months you're exempt from VRT? Vague memories of reading about this, but not sure.
    Either way, tax is going to be a killer.

True, but you will have to keep it for a year. I think you have to pay the VAT and Excise Duty still though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

testicle wrote: »
    True, but you will have to keep it for a year. I think you have to pay the VAT and Excise Duty still though.

No, under change of residence, there should be no charges.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I know I will be VRT exempt under change of residence as long as I keep it for a year here. I'm not so sure about the VAT and DUTY though. This is a big burden at 30% combined. Looks like the Subarus are out. Toyota, Nissan, Mazda and maybe Holden I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

A cousin of mine brought a jeep back, shipping was very cheap considering, it was definetly under €1000 euro.

A local lad also brought back a Toyota Prado jeep, very cheap over there, brought back good memories of OZ seeing it driving around town on NSW plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Ozies mostly like their V8s. Most Holdens or Fords have large petrol engines. I would imagine Jap cars are probably the smallest engined models you'll buy over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

Bear in mind that cars in Oz depreciate much slower than they do here. If you're in it for the money why not bring back a nice old classic Merc and you will have only to pay 50E VRT I think if it is over 30 years old. I know of a classic car dealer in Dublin who has done this so it must be financially attractive.

• Advertisement

Jaysus the Aussies really do like their big engines. The Camrys and Mazdas are all 2.2 to2.6 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

I found that to buy a car new in australia was relatively cheap but the price of second hand ones was scary..

bucks wrote: »
    I found that to buy a car new in australia was relatively cheap but the price of second hand ones was scary..
    Scary cheap or scary expensive?

I'm thinking about pickups now. Tax commercially. Hilux maybe.

ballooba wrote: »
    Jaysus the Aussies really do like their big engines. The Camrys and Mazdas are all 2.2 to2.6 litre.

I like those Aussie boys style 5.7ltr V8 Holden Monaro.
    http://tinyurl.com/24vype

I know vauxhall import them to the Uk but thats like getting Tesco's own brand corn flakes. They taste similar but they arn't the real thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I brought 2 cars back from oz a couple of years ago ( MercMl 270 CDi and porsche 911) The ML was a year old demo paid 33K euro the porsche was a classic so no VRT but got done for VAT and Duty as I owned less than 6 months ( 3K euro, no worries).

Shipping is about 3k euro per car.

Generally the best buys are the 4WDs, they are about 60% cheaper . Be carefull though the highend landcruisers have a much lower spec than Ireland - plastic seats and carpets. Generally highend sedans and sports cars have no saving.
    There are savings though.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=838818

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/MERCEDES-BENZ/ML/Sydney/detail.aspx?id=3907275&pg=1&pp=5&d=0&nv=1&SG=769360429&pt=1

You divide the Australian price by 1.6 to get the price in Euro.

You need to own a car for 6 months wiht proof of 6 months insurance and roof of residence.

Also look at the government auctions as they tend to get rid of vehicles after 2 years. http://www.auctions.sa.gov.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ì'm thinking about going working in Australia for 9 months in March. I was thinking about selling my car before I go over and buying a car there to bring back. I'm not sure what the saving would be like on VRT versus the shipping home. I've found a website www.drive.com.au for used and new cars but I'm not sure if it's the best. I would be spending €10k to €12k and I'm thinking either a Mazda 6 estate, Subaru Impreza Hatch or a Subaru Legacy.
    I know I will be VRT exempt under change of residence as long as I keep it for a year here. I'm not so sure about the VAT and DUTY though. This is a big burden at 30% combined. Looks like the Subarus are out. Toyota, Nissan, Mazda and maybe Holden I guess.

You won't be exempt. You have to be resident in Oz for a year and have owned the vehicle for 6 months to get exempt.
    In order to qualify for relief from VAT you must have had your normal residence outside the EU for a continuous period of at least 12 months prior to transfer

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt3.htm

ronoc wrote: »
    I like those Aussie boys style 5.7ltr V8 Holden Monaro.
    http://tinyurl.com/24vype

I know vauxhall import them to the Uk but thats like getting Tesco's own brand corn flakes. They taste similar but they arn't the real thing :)

Badge snobs, it's the exact same car. If you want to make it a Holden, Ebay a badge and away you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I'm not too sure but wasn't there a couple of lads who set them selves up in a business, taking care of shipping all sorts of goodies back from Australia?

Think they got the idea when one of them bought a jeep over there. The purchased a 40 foot container then and 'sold' space in that to others who had picked up stuff while away, bikes etc. They made a fair few pennies out of it from what i recall. And as far as I know they're still at it, and their rates aren't that bad, as they stuff your car with as much as they can to reduce wasted space.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You won't be exempt. You have to be resident in Oz for a year and have owned the vehicle for 6 months to get exempt.
    You've crushed my dreams!:mad:

Only joking, it wasn't a runner with the size of those Aussie engines. If my car doesn't look like getting used for the nine months I will sell it and invest the cash until I come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Chase Manhattan

Reply to from the revenue commissioners re importing a classic from outside europe

Dear Sir/Madam,

For an antique car (over 30 years old), coming from
    outside the EU there would
    be VAT but no Customs Duty. VAT is usually 21%.

To calculate the cost you add invoice value of
    goods + transport costs (if any) + insurance
    (if any) and charge VAT of 21% on the total.

If you have any other queries please ring the
    Customs Information Office at
    (01) 8776222 or (01) 8776223.

Advertisement