Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bibi-phoque

All,
    I imported an RX-8 from the UK last december, and was unable to register it so far because I am missing the V5 document. I am in contact with the Tax office in the UK to get a duplicate but I start to worry a lot about the new system.
    Basically, I know my VRT will be much cheaper if I register before july so I MUST register the car ASAP. Also my car will be under the old road tax system (500€ a year).

I have heard rumors saying that this "july" date could be reviewed and pull back earlier (before july) because of the confusion going on with the new VRT/Road Tax system. I'm hoping this is not true but I do wonder when I see so few '08 on the road. Am I the only one to have heard this?

Also, the RX-8 used to be a great car for Road Tax. 231 hp for a 1.3L (taxed at 1.8) is very good, however buying a new RX-8 (or import one from the UK) will be a no-go after july (the RX-8 will be on the highest rate based on its 290 CO2 emission). I should be safe enough if I register mine ASAP but do you think that the governement will review this and apply this new road tax system based on emission to older car as well?

Are we going to see 2 identical cars on carzone, one taxed on the old system, one taxed on the new sytem, based on the date they were registered in the country?

Thanks,
    Yann

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

do you think that the governement will review this and apply this new road tax system based on emission to older car as well?

Are we going to see 2 identical cars on carzone, one taxed on the old system, one taxed on the new sytem, based on the date they were registered in the country?

Yes- I do think that the arrangements will be reviewed and ultimately that emissions based taxing may be rolled out to all cars, rather than just those after the 1st of July date. The Greens are getting such stick over the current proposals- if they go ahead with them as planned they will not be forgiven.

Re: 2 identical cars on Carzone one taxed on the old system, one on the new- yep, thats the way things will be under the current proposals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Here is the MINI one, and as befits a model with EfficientDynamics, the emissions of the hatch and Clubman are very low indeed.

The Cabrio is still the original BMW MINI, and no ED plus cheap engines from Chrysler = as much as 199 g/km from a 1.6:eek:!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭budweiserfrogie

E92. Great new colours in price lists. Easier to read.

E92. Great new colours in price lists. Easier to read.

Thanks. When I was looking at one recently I realised how meaningless a whole range of numbers looked all in black. I decided it would look more interesting if there was colours, and also it is easier to know what each column is on about when they are colour coded.

• Advertisement

Here's the Mitsubishi one, not that many people buy Mitsubishi's or anything but for those who are interested....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Dermo123 wrote: »
    A work colleague sent on a very good list of all cars (over 3500) CO2 rates and motor tax changes that will apply after July 2008. I cannot upload it as it is 1.8Meg. If anyone has any ideas it is a very handy look up tool. It is not undermining what E92 is doing as its emphasis is on motor tax.

Yeah I have the spreadsheet aswell but its too big - tried zipping but still too big. It is as useful one but it doesnt have the pre and post prices like E92's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

Hi all,

My wife is thinking about a new Focus come July. Looking at the CO2 data below

New Focus 1.6 Duratorq TDCi (90PS) 5 Door Saloon Transmission question.gif Engine Capacity question.gif Fuel Type question.gif M5 1560 Diesel Fuel Consumption - Metric [l/100 km] Metric Urban (cold) question.gif Metric Extra Urban question.gif Metric Combined question.gif 5.6 3.8 4.5 Fuel Consumption - Imperial [mpg] Imperial Urban (cold) question.gif Imperial Extra Urban question.gif Imperial Combined question.gif 50.4 74.3 62.8 Further Details CO2 Emissions [g/km] question.gif Noise Level
    [dB(A), moving]
    question.gif CO Emissions [g/km] question.gif 118 71.0 0.178

It's emmisions will actually be 118 so it should be in the 14 % brackett.

Just a heads up because the excel file E92 has put up (great work) list it as
    123 and in the 16% brackett.

So it's now even better value, well in July.

E92 wrote: »
    And the Focus prices are for the Mk2 Focus, a Mk3 is on the way very shortly(I don't have the prices for the Mk3 Focus), and as it is almost mechanically identical to the Mk2, so the prices should be viewed as a good guess for July(excluding the 1.6 TDCi 90 PS whose emissions are going down to 119 g/km for the Mk3 and hence 14% VRT).

@(CH3)2CHOH: I did put this as a disclaimer in the post with the Focus price for a reason, as I'm well aware that the new Focus 1.6 diesel will emit CO2 low enough for 14% VRT;)! 118 g/km as you correctly said for the 90 PS 1.6, 119 g/km for the 110 PS 1.6 TDCi(I said the 1.6 90 PS did 119 in error), and 115 g/km for the 1.6 TDCi 110 PS ECOnetic.

As I said above, the prices are for the old Focus, I don't know the new ones, so my Focus prices should be viewed as a guide as to what will happen in July. I would presume that the new Focus will be very similarly priced to the old one. Hope that explains my logic behind putting up prices for a car I know won't be on sale in July ;).

Perhaps Henry Ford III or someone else who might know the answer to this, but are we getting the 1.8 TDCi 115 PS like the last time which pollutes 139 g/km(so 16% VRT and €150 road tax), or are we going to get the 1.6 TDCi 110 PS instead(with 14% VRT and €100 road tax), which of course was the original diesel for the Mk2 Focus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

All,
    I imported an RX-8 from the UK last december, and was unable to register it so far because I am missing the V5 document. I am in contact with the Tax office in the UK to get a duplicate but I start to worry a lot about the new system.
    Basically, I know my VRT will be much cheaper if I register before july so I MUST register the car ASAP. Also my car will be under the old road tax system (500€ a year).

I have heard rumors saying that this "july" date could be reviewed and pull back earlier (before july) because of the confusion going on with the new VRT/Road Tax system. I'm hoping this is not true but I do wonder when I see so few '08 on the road. Am I the only one to have heard this?

Also, the RX-8 used to be a great car for Road Tax. 231 hp for a 1.3L (taxed at 1.8) is very good, however buying a new RX-8 (or import one from the UK) will be a no-go after july (the RX-8 will be on the highest rate based on its 290 CO2 emission). I should be safe enough if I register mine ASAP but do you think that the governement will review this and apply this new road tax system based on emission to older car as well?

Thanks,
    Yann

Always been curious as to how the wankel 1.3 engine would be taxed. Pity they use more oil than petrol.

Anyone know where I can find my CO2 rates for my 1992 Porsche 944 S2? Its already bought and VRTed, what am I going to be scrwed by for motortax?

I have the NCT test result of actual CO2, will check that later - but curious what the 'official' value will be.

• Advertisement

A work colleague sent on a very good list of all cars (over 3500) CO2 rates and motor tax changes that will apply after July 2008. I cannot upload it as it is 1.8Meg. If anyone has any ideas it is a very handy look up tool. It is not undermining what E92 is doing as its emphasis is on motor tax.

On the contrary it would be great if you uploaded it. I'd love to see it.

If it's too big at the moment, then I suggest that you split it up for each manufacturer, you know make multiple files, one for each manufacturer, if you can't do this you could always PM me with it and I will do it in due course(I assume it's an Excel file or else a Word file).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Chaz wrote: »
    my 1992 Porsche 944 S2? Its already bought and VRTed, what am I going to be scrwed by for motortax?

The new VRT regime (based on CO2) only applies to cars registered in Ireland after 01/07/2008 (see the first page)

Your current tax is €1109. The current tax will go up by 9% for cars under 2.5l and by 11% for cars over 2.5l per 01/02/2008. So your tax will go up to €1231

Your car's CO2 is irrelevant for your tax, as your car is registered in Ireland before 01/07/2008

On the contrary it would be great if you uploaded it. I'd love to see it.

If it's too big at the moment, then I suggest that you split it up for each manufacturer, you know make multiple files, one for each manufacturer, if you can't do this you could always PM me with it and I will do it in due course(I assume it's an Excel file or else a Word file).

Ill happily host this and let peeps download from a URL link if required.

unkel wrote: »
    The new VRT regime (based on CO2) only applies to cars registered in Ireland after 01/07/2008 (see the first page)

Your current tax is €1109. The current tax will go up by 9% for cars under 2.5l and by 11% for cars over 2.5l per 01/02/2008. So your tax will go up to €1231

Your car's CO2 is irrelevant for your tax, as your car is registered in Ireland before 01/07/2008

Ah, thanks, understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

OK I split it in two such that each file was less than 1000kb but they still would not upload as excel files?? So I changed the extension to a .txt and they seem to be uploading now. First the file from Alfa to Merc

Mini to Volvo next. If ye want to send me the excel version then PM me and I'll see if I can get it to you that way

OK so thats a load of gibberish. Let me work on it a bit more.....

This is a bit better but excel is a lot better. Can ye convert this into excel?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats the source for the figures? Ive tried a few sites thhat were posted here, as well as the like sof Parkers and manufacturers official sites, with various different figures quoted for each.

An example beign the scenic.The missus is looking to change heres for a new model. The renault site puts it at 138 g, whereas varioues other sites give figures between 137 and 148 ish. It's kind of important seeign as 140 is a break point on the scale.

This is a bit better but excel is a lot better. Can ye convert this into excel?

I've just done it now!

@Stekelly, some of the figures in the Excel would be different because I notice that the cars mentioned are often UK cars(e.g. there are Vauxhalls there). I've edited some of what was in the txt file as well e.g. changed all the Vauxhalls for Opel.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the effort.

Just checking as Im considering a car from up North for my wife. Your detail shows it as petrol, yet im sure its diesel. All the Merc A170s listed on carzone are diesel, yet the excel only shows petrol models or am I missing something?

MERCEDES-BENZ A-Class (C169) 3 Door A170 185 Tyres at rear 1699 157 €414 €453 €430 -€23 25% 24% -1% M5 Petrol
    MERCEDES-BENZ A-Class (C169) 3 Door A170 195 Tyres at rear 1699 159 €414 €453 €430 -€23 25% 24% -1% M5 Petrol
    MERCEDES-BENZ A-Class (C169) 3 Door A170 215 Tyres at rear 1699 163 €414 €453 €430 -€23 25% 24% -1% M5 Petrol
    MERCEDES-BENZ A-Class (C169) 3 Door A170 185 Tyres at rear 1699 157 €414 €453 €430 -€23 25% 24% -1% CVT Petrol
    MERCEDES-BENZ A-Class (C169) 3 Door A170 195 Tyres at rear 1699 166 €414 €453 €430 -€23 25% 24% -1% CVT Petrol
    MERCEDES-BENZ A-Class (C169) 3 Door A170 215 Tyres at rear 1699 169 €414 €453 €430 -€23 25% 24% -1% CVT Petrol

Chaz wrote: »
    Thanks for all the effort.

Just checking as Im considering a car from up North for my wife. Your detail shows it as petrol, yet im sure its diesel. All the Merc A170s listed on carzone are diesel, yet the excel only shows petrol models or am I missing something?
    That would be the old Merc A-class, which was discontinued in 2004, and was indeed available as an A170 CDI.

That would be the old Merc A-class, which was discontinued in 2004, and was indeed available as an A170 CDI.

OK, didnt realise they had changed in 2004 - thought the one I was looking at was still current.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nodnedlog

Just a quick question re VRT in July.

How will the VRO decide on the correct CO2 figure for your car? I know the COC gives this information and it is in the logbook, but the VRO guy I talked to told me to look on www.mtp.ie for up to date CO2 figures and he had a copy of the mtp handbook.

Also could you argue that your car actually produced lower CO2 than the COC figures? Could you get it tested independently?

If anyone knows could they let me know

Here is the Nissan one! Nothing really odd about it, other than they finally have given up on selling the Almera, and the Primera is now history too!

Only 14 more makes to go!

EDIT: Updated so as to show the most up to date CO2 for the Qashqai 1.5 dCi.

I put down 145 g/km, and therefore 20% VRT originally, but the latest models are actually 139 g/km and therefore 16% VRT. Thanks to those people in the Nissan Qashqai thread!

Here is one for Opel. I notice that the diesels in a lot of their cars aren't terribly green either. 24% VRT for Vectra and some Astra diesels is quite high it must be said. And the nations favoured Astra, the 1.4 will be one of the few 1.4s to get a tax cut, from 22.5% VRT to 20% VRT. The Corsa has plenty of low CO2 emitters though, including a 14% VRT diesel.

I included the Vectra, not really sure why as it is being replaced by the new Insignia soon, though I don't know when exactly it is being replaced, but it might well be gone by July.

Here are the price lists for Peugeot and Porsche. Includes the new 308. I didn't bother with the 307, even though officially it is still for sale, but it should be gone pretty soon.

Unsurprisingly all the Porsches bar 1 or 2 attract the maximum 36% VRT.

The Peugeots are similar enough to rivals, though the 407 petrols are a bit on the high side for the old CO2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Thanks for letting me know that. The differences should be still be similar enough then. Just take off around 8% of what I said.

Can anyone here in the motor trade confirm this? I just want to make sure.

Sorry to be late to the party, and I'm sure you've already gotten past this question, but yeah - we use RRP-8% in our garage to calculate OMSP, except on the A8, where we use 7%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I just checked how much my new car will cost to tax in the new system and im shocked. Its an 03 1.6 golf and apparently it does this Level (g/km): 192 which would be €1000 to tax!!!!!
    Can this be right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

BFassassin wrote: »
    I just checked how much my new car will cost to tax in the new system and im shocked. Its an 03 1.6 golf and apparently it does this Level (g/km): 192 which would be €1000 to tax!!!!!
    Can this be right?

Is you car already registered in Ireland? If so, then the new CO2 based tax regime won't apply to you. It only applies to cars registered after 1st July.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement