Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Any advice?

The depreciation on one bought before July will be horrid- when the different road tax regimes are factored into the equation. Personally I think unless you *need* to buy the car, that there is no intelligent reason to even contemplate getting it now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I suspect that the MINI dealer is looking for a sale now rather than being a finncial advisor.
    However, if they follow BMW's line then the price should fall but really, we're speculating here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

E92 - kudos for this, really helps make things more transparant so us plebs can cut through dealer guff...

However I can't find the Mazda pricelist. Is there one there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

pburns wrote: »
    E92 - kudos for this, really helps make things more transparant so us plebs can cut through dealer guff...

However I can't find the Mazda pricelist. Is there one there?

It's in this page;).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

E92 wrote: »
    they're now all done pretty much, there will be one grand one over the weekend with them all in one place

Well done! Once you attach the big one with a worksheet per make, I'll attach it to the very first post of the sticky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Hey folks, thanks for the replies. I don't want to buy one til July because I figured that I would make a saving. I partly guessed that they were trying to make a quick sale! Thanks for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NE14T

Hi,

I read a quote from the current AutoIreland magazine (referred there from Ask About Money post) that BMW are going to pass on the full VRT savings after 1 July 2008 on for example the 320d and 520d SE.

BMW MD Sean Green said that the 520d SE would retail here for €8,150 (approx, I don't have the article in front of me) less, making it €46,100.

I'd be amazed if that happened, but if it does, it would be great news, and would bring Ireland closer to the real world for new car prices. The same car retails for €37,900 in Germany. Bring it on.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

NE14T wrote: »
    Hi,

I read a quote from the current AutoIreland magazine (referred there from Ask About Money post) that BMW are going to pass on the full VRT savings after 1 July 2008 on for example the 320d and 520d SE.

BMW MD Sean Green said that the 520d SE would retail here for €8,150 (approx, I don't have the article in front of me) less, making it €46,100.

I'd be amazed if that happened, but if it does, it would be great news, and would bring Ireland closer to the real world for new car prices. The same car retails for €37,900 in Germany. Bring it on.

yep, i posted same info on previous page last week and on the other vrt changes thread as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 victoria-xxx

Does anyone know if there is any way around not paying the VRT? I have heard some things but not sure if any of those are true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Does anyone know if there is any way around not paying the VRT? I have heard some things but not sure if any of those are true.

Pretty much impossible / illegal. A few recently found themselves on the other side of a jail cell after trying various 'options' to not pay. Despite it being a big screw by the government and a scam, its unfortunately a case of accepting that you are being scammed and then smile when you pay the VRT over.

• Advertisement

ya i figured theres no way around it really, even tho on the VRT website it does tell you how you can get away from not paying VRT if ur moving over to live in Ireland. Sounds like a lot of hassle tho.

I am thinking of buying a BMW 320 petrol and not sure if i should get it before july or after....any ideas wat i should do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NE14T

One way of avoiding VRT is by moving abroad for a while and satisfy the Revenue's VRT waiver requirement that you are out of the country for 12 months and the car was owned abroad for 6 months.

So in theory, you could move abroad to say the UK on 1 July 2008, purchase a car from an Irish dealer and register it in the UK on 1 Jan 2009, and then import it back to Ireland on 1 July 2009. You would need to prove all these dates to the Revenue's satisfaction through bank statements etc., or better still by telling them in advance of your plans.

If they agree it's legitimate (like, say, a one-year work contract in London), they may let you away with it and you will then have an Irish car at Irish list price + UK VAT. However, this cure may be worse than the original disease.

G.

ya i read that and it is way too much hassle, and i am definitelly not going to live in UK any time soon. This new VRT regime is only being discussed on brand new cars, what about older cars e.g. 2005 BWM 320? i think fro everything i have read its best to buy the car before jul cos it will cost more after the new regime comes in????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ya i read that and it is way too much hassle, and i am definitelly not going to live in UK any time soon. This new VRT regime is only being discussed on brand new cars, what about older cars e.g. 2005 BWM 320? i think fro everything i have read its best to buy the car before jul cos it will cost more after the new regime comes in????:confused:
    A secondhand car imported and registered from July on will also qualify for the new VRT and road tax rates.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ahsarova

esel wrote: »
    A secondhand car imported and registered from July on will also qualify for the new VRT and road tax rates.

so 2004 BMW 525d sport with CO2 of 179 g/km will be 28% to VRT and €600 to tax for a year? can somebody confirm this please? I have one still on UK plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cyranno

I am currently looking at importing a E46 318 Ci Convertible approx 2004.
    Are the emissions really 203 grams compared to 180 for the coupe?
    Thanks to anyone who can confirm or point out an error I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ahsarova

cyranno wrote: »
    I am currently looking at importing a E46 318 Ci Convertible approx 2004.
    Are the emissions really 203 grams compared to 180 for the coupe?
    Thanks to anyone who can confirm or point out an error I hope.

yeah co2 is really higher in convertible. you have to import it before July, otherwise its not feasible. go for 320cd convertable after july.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Hold on so basically if i register a car before the start of July my annual road tax will stay at current rates? I was thinking of bringing in a saab 9-3 1.8 from the UK and under the new scheme depending on the website i get the emmisions data from it falls in between 600 - 1000 annually but if i bring it in before July ill pay the 560 or whatever it is now till i get a newer car???
    Im not paying a thousand euro in road tax so will it be more benifical for me to take in lets say the end of June?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Kevin Heenan

I am thinking of importing an Audi A4 1.9TDI and have seen the websites both in the UK and here that give the CO2 emission specs for the various cars described and also for the Audi. It is stated however that the Revenue will require a Certificate of Conformity to prove that these specs are correct. Otherwise one could be faced (as outlined by a number of postings) with paying the highest rate of VRT and Motor Tax on the car. Anyone got any suggestions as to where one would obtain such a Certificate of Conformity that would satisfy the Revenue Comms? I have my doubts if they will accept a printout from a website. I would say that if it could be acertained for definite where an acceptable Certificate of Conformity coould be sourced it would be of great benifit to anyone importing a used car from July 1st :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Anyone got any suggestions as to where one would obtain such a Certificate of Conformity that would satisfy the Revenue Comms?

Afaik, COC should be requested from Audi UK - I know when a lot of cars were exported from her to the UK, it was MDL who was supplying the COCs.

Try Audi UK first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Kevin Heenan

Thanks for that AudiChris. I'm new to the car importing game. Just wondering further, is there a COC issued to each specific vehicle or would there be a general COC that would be issued for a specific model e.g. Audi 1.9 TDI 130BHP SE. ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Thanks for that AudiChris. I'm new to the car importing game. Just wondering further, is there a COC issued to each specific vehicle or would there be a general COC that would be issued for a specific model e.g. Audi 1.9 TDI 130BHP SE. ??

I believe it's specific to your vehicle, stating chassis number etc., but I'm not definite.

Check out this link.
    http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt1.htm

There's also a thread here called "ultimate guide to importing cars" or something similar, you'll find a lot of info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Each individual car has a COC. It's a birth cert to an extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

ninty9er wrote: »

Do you suggest that if income tax is raised next year to 45% it should be backdated for the previous 8 years when the higher rate was below 45%??

A better comparison:

Would it be fair if new (favourable) income tax rates, based on productivity, were introduced for first time earners (and workers new to Ireland) while the rest of us were expected to pay the old rates - regardless of productivity?

McSandwich wrote: »
    A better comparison:

Would it be fair if new (favourable) income tax rates, based on productivity, were introduced for first time earners (and workers new to Ireland) while the rest of us were expected to pay the old rates - regardless of productivity?

you mean exactly like the changes to stamp duty for first time buyers over the last few years?
    it may not be 'fair', but that doesn't come into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

according to the sites my 02 Alfa 156 emits 195g / km . Am I right in saying that my tax is now going from €414 to €1,000 a year ???

thats bollocks if i'm right (and i think i am)

miju wrote: »
    according to the sites my 02 Alfa 156 emits 195g / km . Am I right in saying that my tax is now going from €414 to €1,000 a year ???

thats bollocks if i'm right (and i think i am)

you're not :D. your tax doesn't change, only new cars and imports after july pay new rates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

thank christ, was about to have a bloody mild heart attack there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

copacetic wrote: »
    you mean exactly like the changes to stamp duty for first time buyers over the last few years?
    it may not be 'fair', but that doesn't come into it.

No, stamp duty is a one off payment, like VRT. I'm not talking about retrospective refunds based on new rates of VRT . Motor tax is charged annually so the new rates could easily be applied to all. When income tax rates change - no one expects a refund when the rates drop, but charging different base tax rates for people on the same income would be difficult to justify ;)

As for "Fair" I quote from the Dept. of Environment:
    There is also an equity issue. It would be unfair to penalise car owners for a purchasing decision made in the past.

If this is the case, why am I being penalised under the new system for my past decision to purchase a fuel efficient low emissions car?

BTW, I've sent letters and emails to John Gormley and others but so far their replies have completely avoided answering my questions :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

McSandwich wrote: »
    If this is the case, why am I being penalised under the new system for my past decision to purchase a fuel efficient low emissions car? :rolleyes:

Because good people were foolish to believe the hypocritical lies of the Green Party, as soon as they were elected they have backed Bertie, voted in favour of Mary Harney's handling of Health and have back pedelled on all of their pre election promises on the Ringsend incinerator and multiple other items.

The funny thing is they are screwing their own supporters who have bought so called low emission cars prior to July 08.

Remember that at the next election

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement