Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Villain wrote: »
    1981 Merc 3ltr V8 English Plates.

If I register it before end of June it will be current VRT rates and on curent Tax system? i.e. emmissions won't make any difference is that correct?

For tax, it will be based on the current tax system anyway. It doesn't matter if you register before July 1st or after. VRT will be 30% before July and 36% after. The difference in VRT is a one off and the difference between 30% and 36% will be hundreds rather than thousands

Out of interest, what car is it? I don't know about any 3l V8 MB of that vintage, is it a 3.5l V8 perchance?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sorry its actually 3.8 ltr.

Its a 380 SLC

What would the difference in rates be in VRT for it been a 3.8ltr?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭BSPOKE20

Anyone know what sort of VRT would apply to bring in a Porsche 964 ('89-'93) from the UK, as they are not listed on the revenue website?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Villain wrote: »
    What would the difference in rates be in VRT for it been a 3.8ltr?

30% before July and 36% after
    BSPOKE20 wrote: »
    Anyone know what sort of VRT would apply to bring in a Porsche 964 ('89-'93) from the UK, as they are not listed on the revenue website?:)

Rates are as above, 30% before July and 36% after. For the base to which the rates applies (OMSP - Open market selling price), you'll have to contact the VRO (see the main sticky on top of the page for contact details)

Depends on the car, year, condition, etc. but to give you a rough idea OMSP might be around the €25k mark so 30% of that is €7.5k and 36% of that is €9k

Tax on all of the above is €1,491 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 rambler924

Sorry I had posted this on another thread but it is probably more topical here.
    Given that the finer details of the duel system are somewhat vague, is this recent interpretation (launched on yesterdays news) of how the duel system will work by the SIMI fact or their way of trying to get there interpretation accepted as fact? (see link at the bottom of the post)

7. Determining CO2 emission levels of vehicles
    The CO2 emission rating for each new car being registered will normally be determined based on the emissions information contained in the model’s Certificate of Conformity, a document which, since 2001, European law has required to contain such information. In respect of used imports, the CO2 rating will have to be declared on form VRT4 (Declaration for registration of a used vehicle) by the person registering the vehicle. The declaration will be required to be supported by documentary evidence of the CO2 rating, for example, a Certificate of Conformity, a previous registration certificate, or a certificate from the manufacturer or a main distributor, provided in each case the CO2 rating is included; or a certificate from an
    Organisation approved by the Revenue Commissioners to provide such certificates. Where a certificate or a measurement is not available or fails to satisfy the Revenue Commissioners, the VRT tax charged could be set at the maximum VRT rate allowable. Such a VRT rating would be open to appeal through the VRT appeals system.

According to this all older cars will not have a valid CO2 cert. and therefore at re-registeration be classed by default to the over 225g/km.

Q: I am thinking of buying an imported used car after July, how will the new Road Tax system affect me?

A: Imported cars first registered in previous country before the 1st January 2008 will be Road Taxed at current rates except those with emissions more over 225g/km which will be taxed on a CO2 basis (currently €2,000). Used vehicles first registered in previous country after 1st July 2008 will be based on the CO2 Road Tax rates while those registered in other member states between the 1st January and 1st July 2008 will be taxed on whichever rate is lower. (See Tables 1 and 2)

http://www.simi.ie/Files/simi_roadtaxvrt.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bibi-phoque

Well, you all got me very confused. I fall in a category that I don't see documented and I have no idea what my road tax will be in the future.

I have imported a car with emissions over 225 mpg and registered it in february 2008. My VRT was based on the old system, and I paid 1 year tax also based on the old system (engine size).

Now that the government has recently reviewed the whole system to make sure that green cars registered before July don't get penalized, I'm not sure if I am affected by the change.

I can see that imported and registered cars before 1st of January will be on the old system expect if Co2 emissions are higher than 225.

Well, I have registered mine in february 2008. What will happen to my road tax?

Thanks,
    Yann

Well, you all got me very confused. I fall in a category that I don't see documented and I have no idea what my road tax will be in the future.

I have imported a car with emissions over 225 mpg and registered it in february 2008. My VRT was based on the old system, and I paid 1 year tax also based on the old system (engine size).

Now that the government has recently reviewed the whole system to make sure that green cars registered before July don't get penalized, I'm not sure if I am affected by the change.

I can see that imported and registered cars before 1st of January will be on the old system expect if Co2 emissions are higher than 225.

Well, I have registered mine in february 2008. What will happen to my road tax?

Thanks,
    Yann

From what I can make out you are OK, the question above is taken from the SIMI leaflet and only refers to used imports re-registered after July 08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Just to clarify, pre 08 imports and pre July 08 cars registered new here WILL NOT be taxed on CO2, even if the emissions are above 225 g/km.

It is true that the Greens were thinking about it and at one time the Government were thinking of doing it, but this idea has been dropped.

If you buy/bought a new car this year BEFORE July and it's CO2 emissions are such that the emissions tax system results in a lower road tax bill, then after July you will be able to change to the emissions system.

If the cc system results in a lower road tax bill than the CO2 system then you will continue to pay road tax under the cc system, provided it's a new car registered between January and June this year.

Otherwise, it's engine size if the car is a pre 08 and CO2 if it's an 08 or newer.

VRT is done on engine size till July, and will be done on CO2 after July. This applies for both new cars and imports.

E92 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, pre 08 imports and pre July 08 cars registered new here WILL NOT be taxed on CO2, even if the emissions are above 225 g/km.

E92, I am a bit relieved, thanks for your reply! But why are they stating the following then :

Imported cars first registered in previous country before
    the 1st January 2008 will be Road Taxed at current rates
    except those with emissions more over 225g/km which will
    be taxed on a CO2 basis (currently €2,000).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Having looked at your post bibi-phoque about your car I can guarantee you that you will continue to be taxed on engine size.

As for what the SIMI are saying about used imports, I understand that to be completely untrue.

• Advertisement

Having looked at your post bibi-phoque about your car I can guarantee you that you will continue to be taxed on engine size.

As for what the SIMI are saying about used imports, I understand that to be completely untrue.

Great!
    Thanks again,
    Yann

Thanks for your input on the issue, I am not trying to be alarmist, I hope for all our sakes it is correct. I just wish some government dept. would come forward and spell it out and put everybody in the true picture

rambler924 wrote: »
    Thanks for your input on the issue, I am not trying to be alarmist, I hope for all our sakes it is correct. I just wish some government dept. would come forward and spell it out and put everybody in the true picture

I can only agree. I have bought my car (RX-8) completely based on the new regulation from last december. Everything was very clear to me, I knew where I stood. Now, I have seen so many updates since february that I was very confused.
    For me, size engine vs CO2 is a big deal, it's a difference of 1500€ of road tax per year.

Hopefully an official document will be published so the situation is clarified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublin1600

Simi have a new feature on their website to show you how much or less you will pay in VRT and car tax after the new motor tax rates come into effect. You enter in engine size and co2 emissions to get the rates.

http://www.simi.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

The motors section in the Irish Times gave wrong information again today!:mad: They stated that all second hand imports will also be TAXED on Co2 when they will be on CC. This false info is rampant, clearly if the Government, SIMI and the Irish Times are confused no wonder the normal motorist is!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

astraboy wrote: »
    The motors section in the Irish Times gave wrong information again today!:mad: They stated that all second hand imports will also be TAXED on Co2 when they will be on CC. This false info is rampant, clearly if the Government, SIMI and the Irish Times are confused no wonder the normal motorist is!
    linky
    Ironically, its in an article about how the Government are not providing proper info on the scheme!

kbannon wrote: »
    linky
    Ironically, its in an article about how the Government are not providing proper info on the scheme!

Ya the irony is inescapable:D! If the Dept of Environment would actually send out a proper press release it might clear up everyones(the medias!) confusion.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ragglepuss

I seen in some of the broadsheets recently that the Government were coming under increasing pressure from various motoring bodies to give an option to motorists as to which motor tax system they use? Based on the motorists circemstances it would be in their interest to go with the new CO2 based system...... I recently bought a 04 Audi A3 from the North and if this was the case then the tax would be 430 instead of 600.... did anyone else hear this... or do you believe tht these is a chance of this being adopted by the Government????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Mine is €430 either way...well €428 old and €430 new. Not sure if this is the case for a large proportion of cars though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Ragglepuss wrote: »
    I recently bought a 04 Audi A3 from the North and if this was the case then the tax would be 430 instead of 600.... did anyone else hear this... or do you believe tht these is a chance of this being adopted by the Government????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yes and No.

Government has given the ability to opt into the new system if it's lower, but only if you're driving a '08 car.
    New road tax scheme isn't retrospective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

I really don't understand what they're playing at.
    In my case, I'm looking at importing a 06 Laguna 1.9 diesel.
    It's co2 rating puts it in band C.
    So I can import it, and pay the new lower rate of 20% VRT, as opposed to the old rate of 25%.
    But I can't go on the new co2 based road tax system, meaning that instead of paying the new rate of €290 a year, I have to pay €560!:eek:

I thought this new system was supposed to reward people that bought "clean" cars? :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Soarer wrote: »

I thought this new system was supposed to reward people that bought "clean" cars? :confused:

New clean 2008 cars only. I'm in exactly the same position with my 1.9 ltr Volvo diesel- 560 instead of 290. It really is a crock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

Certainly is.
    I mean, if a '08 car is in band c, and a '04 is in band c, surely they're as clean as each other!??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Soarer wrote: »
    Certainly is.
    I mean, if a '08 car is in band c, and a '04 is in band c, surely they're as clean as each other!??!

Yes!

But that is the way the idiotic "Green" party operates
    John Gormless should be sacked for the cock up
    Next thing they will be robbing more tax payers money to subsidise the expensive electricity generated by the wind turbine electricity generators....

Oh $hit they are already going to screw you for that as well!

But seriously Aer Lingus rolled over due to public opinion in the fares fiasco,
    keep the pressure up on Johhny Gormless, he has already caved in a little, lets force it the whole way in the interests of taxpayers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

Irish vehicle owners are really getting screwed over by the government.
    I did a comparison,
    A KIA Sportage 2.0 EX 4wd 2006 is €490 per year with the new system in IRE.
    I live in an other country and I pay €160 per year. There is no VRT on cars here either.
    I just wonder when the Irish people will stand up and say no more VRT or you WILL put the VRT money to build better roads!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

cutepape wrote: »
    Irish vehicle owners are really getting screwed over by the government.
    I did a comparison,
    A KIA Sportage 2.0 EX 4wd 2006 is €490 per year with the new system in IRE.
    I live in an other country and I pay €160 per year. There is no VRT on cars here either.
    I just wonder when the Irish people will stand up and say no more VRT or you WILL put the VRT money to build better roads!!

In all fairness- you probably pay far higher duty and taxes on the fuel that you put in your Kia Sportage, than we do here- so its a case of swings and roundabouts. We have almost the cheapest fuel in Western Europe here......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

smccarrick wrote: »
    In all fairness- you probably pay far higher duty and taxes on the fuel that you put in your Kia Sportage, than we do here- so its a case of swings and roundabouts. We have almost the cheapest fuel in Western Europe here......

Here are the rip-off petrol & diesel prices for Europe(Ireland included) for Feb 08 for the www.aaroadwatch.ie site

home » european petrol prices

Latest European Petrol Prices

Price Comparisons - Surveyed in February

Local Currency per litre Euro cent per litre
    Country Currency Unleaded Diesel
    Austria Euro - - 1.169 1.143
    Belgium Euro - - 1.440 1.151
    Finland Euro - - 1.406 1.202
    Germany Euro - - 1.368 1.257
    Greece Euro - - 1.077 1.089
    Netherlands Euro - - 1.535 1.223
    Italy Euro - - 1.370 1.344
    Luxembourg Euro - - 1.154 1.016
    Spain Euro - - 1.083 1.039
    France Euro - - 1.323 1.176
    Ireland Euro - - 1.169 1.175
    Portugal Euro - - 1.369 1.174
    Slovenia Euro - - 1.022 1.030

Sweden Swedish Krona 12.49 12.64 1.345 1.361
    Estonia Kroons 15.20 16.60 0.971 1.061
    Latvia Lats 0.687 0.704 0.979 1.004
    Lithuania Litas 3.53 3.60 1.022 1.043
    Slovakia Koroan 38.94 40.85 1.183 1.241
    Switzerland Swiss Franc 1.74 1.89 1.084 1.178
    GB Sterling 1.039 1.091 1.388 1.457
    USA US Dollars 0.7921 0.87 0.538 0.591
    Northern Ireland Pound Sterling 1.05 1.099 1.395 1.46
    Norway Norwegian Krone 12.25 11.94 1.548 1.509
    Poland Zloty 4.28 3.99 1.173 1.094
    Hungary Forint 293.0 297.0 1.195 1.211
    Czech Republic Czech Koruna 30.30 30.60 1.137 1.148
    Denmark Danish Krone 10.54 9.82 1.414 1.318

In the Euro zone you can see rip-off Ireland is taking advantage of the change to Diesel being forced thru' by the Green Party resulting in higher prices

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Bee wrote: »
    Yes!

But that is the way the idiotic "Green" party operates
    John Gormless should be sacked for the cock up
    Next thing they will be robbing more tax payers money to subsidise the expensive electricity generated by the wind turbine electricity generators....

Oh $hit they are already going to screw you for that as well!

But seriously Aer Lingus rolled over due to public opinion in the fares fiasco,
    keep the pressure up on Johhny Gormless, he has already caved in a little, lets force it the whole way in the interests of taxpayers

There was no previous incentive to buy "clean cars" which is why we have dirtier 1.6s than 1.8s on our roads. To penalise people who didn't know what was coming down the road 4 years later because their 1.6 Avensis is dirtier than your new 1.8 Avensis isn't what the system is designed to do. It's designe to effect change not inflict pain.

So let's say you worked in the us in the early 80s and now earn 80k a year. Should you be taxed at 60% to make up the lost revenue to the exchequer when you worked elsewhere. When the shoe is on the other foot people are very reluctant to take a hit, so why should the exchequer?!?

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    There was no previous incentive to buy "clean cars" which is why we have dirtier 1.6s than 1.8s on our roads. To penalise people who didn't know what was coming down the road 4 years later because their 1.6 Avensis is dirtier than your new 1.8 Avensis isn't what the system is designed to do. It's designe to effect change not inflict pain.

So let's say you worked in the us in the early 80s and now earn 80k a year. Should you be taxed at 60% to make up the lost revenue to the exchequer when you worked elsewhere. When the shoe is on the other foot people are very reluctant to take a hit, so why should the exchequer?!?

Ya, our previous punititave tax that considered any car over 1.6 "big" is to blame for the 1.6 and 1.8 saloons on the road.

As for your second point, I would consider myself an intelligent person, but I CANNOT work out what that has to do with motortax?! People importing cleaner cars should have the option of lower road tax if possible, weather the car is 08 or 04.

On a personal note I think this whole carbon taxing is bollix and will have zero effect on carbon emissions or "climate change".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement