Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

PauloToole wrote: »
    The theory sounds great.

In practise though it ain't nessacerily so.

A good friend brought in an 07 Range Rover Sport HSE from England.

The main dealers wouldn't service it for him here even.:mad:

Thats tough.
    I confirmed all the details in writing prior to paying- and had Koping over here confirm their end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

smccarrick wrote: »
    Yes. You're not a car dealer though- the situation is entirely different for a private person bringing in a vehicle.

Heres a link from citizensadvice that may be of help.
    Oh no I'm not actually bringing in the car myself! I want to buy a new car through a dealer so they will spec it up and order it in for me, does that make it different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Oh no I'm not actually bringing in the car myself! I want to buy a new car through a dealer so they will spec it up and order it in for me, does that make it different?

Yes. If you order a car now and take delivery/register it after 1st July you'll pay the new price. Pricing is based on the date the car is first registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭paddy111199

Hi Guys,

Going to buy a focus zetec, 1.6, petrol, 9000 miles (14500 km) from NI for £9k (€11.5k) + €5k vrt = 16.5k. 2 yrs on warrenty, full clean check done.

From looking on carzone i see them going for €20k +.

Just looking to see what you all think as probably going to pick it up on Wed.

Thanks all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

Looks like teh vrt page is a bit screwie ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

Yeah, noticed that earlier. VRT for a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder €280. However typing the co2 figures for the model seems to bring back the following though.
      	Revenue Information 	Customer Information
      	OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: 	€34660 	€54156
      	RATE OF TAX: 	0% 	36%
      	VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) 	€280 	€19496

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

Where did ye find the new vrt page?
    Still getting the old, non-co2 based page at https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculatorCc :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Soarer wrote: »
    Where did ye find the new vrt page?
    Still getting the old, non-co2 based page at https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculatorCc :confused:
    Just knock the cc off the URL
    https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

Cheers Fletch.

Now, can someone explain to me how one OMSP appears when there's 0% rate of tax displayed, but when you type in the co2 rating, a completely different OMSP appears??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

That VRT site is all over the place, ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hmm.....hopefully it's just in development. It's trying to tell me that the OMSP of a car I'm looking at is higher than the current new retail price, not a mind the lower post-July one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bloodninja

Lads,

Is it right that if you own a car in England for 6 months and you bring it home then you are exempt from VRT?

Do you need an address in england for this?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

bloodninja wrote: »
    Lads,

Is it right that if you own a car in England for 6 months and you bring it home then you are exempt from VRT?

Do you need an address in england for this?

Cheers.

You will need an address, bills, bank statements, etc, quite a bit of proof in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ And plenty of proof that you are now taking up residence here.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Thought it might be a good time to let people know about some of the apparently tempting deals that car makers are offering at the moment.

Of course there's a catch to them all, which you will see as I get through them:

I know that Opel dealers got July prices a week or 2 ago. I don't know what the July prices are though, but they are telling us about how we can get July prices for petrols even if we buy now, because they're so efficient. No mention of diesels though, what a co-incidence:rolleyes:. You'd swear diesels were worse on CO2 than petrols:rolleyes:!

I know that Toyota are "advising":rolleyes: us(and have been for several weeks on their website at this stage) about how much we'll save if we buy our 1.6 Avensis and 1.4 Auris now rather than July.

Co-incidentally:rolleyes: the Corolla(or the Auris saloon basically) which still has supply issues isn't mentioned at all.

Ford are guilty of this too for the 1.4 Focus and 1.6 Mondeo.

Renault have part shown their hand. Their "Special Offers" includes models that will go both up and down, and advising us of what we can save. Of course no mention of the super efficient diesel Megane or Modus. What a surprise:rolleyes:!

Peugeot have a bit of a twist. They are advising us of 2 cars that will go down rather than up in price. Problem is that they're petrols, the 207 and 308 1.4. I wonder would the diesels be any more efficient:rolleyes:?

Subaru are also advising us of how much we can save if we buy now. And they have most to fear about as their Boxer engines were never exactly noted for their fuel efficiency. But co-incidentally:rolleyes: no mention of the diesel Legacy, Outback or Forrester that are on the way shortly(and the diesel engine will even do 20% VRT for you in the Legacy too).

Merc are also at the same craic with the E200 Kompressor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scanner1

Hello all,

I have noticed in the VRT calculations website that the OMSP has gone up for all vehicles for the new C02 calculations. What is the reasoning behind this it does not make any sense.

Example: 2007 Volkswagen Passat 1.9TDI S 10000 Miles

Old OMSP: €23,039
    New OMSP: €28,838

The difference of €5,800 @ 20% adds up to €1160 extra on VRT. is this the revenues way of bowing down to SIMI and trying to discourage the importation of cars in July

Cheers:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

In all fairness- you probably pay far higher duty and taxes on the fuel that you put in your Kia Sportage, than we do here- so its a case of swings and roundabouts. We have almost the cheapest fuel in Western Europe here......

smccarrick, how about this:
    I pay €0.15 more per liter.
    My Kia would cost me above €25'000 in IRE... I paid less then €14'000 incl set of studded winter tyres, engine heater, coupe heater.
    So again... you are being ripped off in IRE Im afraid with VRT and motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Why are they even updating it now.... ffs, the new rules don't apply till 1st July, they should update it a few days before that... or at least have both mechanisms on the site.

Suppose I can just take the omsp that they put up and get the % myself, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

More confusion, just when I thought I was clear on it all

http://www.simi.ie/Files/simi_roadtaxvrt.pdf

"Imported cars first registered in previous country before the 1st January 2008 will be Road Taxed at current rates except those with emissions more over 225g/km which will be taxed on a CO2 basis (currently €2,000)."

I thought all cars first registered in previous country before the 1st January 2008 will be Road Taxed at current rates? Is this not the case???

dp639 wrote: »
    I thought all cars first registered in previous country before the 1st January 2008 will be Road Taxed at current rates? Is this not the case???

No- the info is correct- any cars imported, irrespective of year of first registration, over 225g/km are EUR2000 per annum. Anything under 225grms/km is cc based.

• Advertisement

The SIMI are wrong(thought it wouldn't be the first time they've mislead people).

Any pre 08 import will NOT pay €2k road tax a year even if the emissions are over 225 g/km. It's ONLY VRT that is changing.

Road tax remains on the cc system for all pre 08 imports. The Certificate of Conformity is only needed to lower the VRT you pay.

Thats not what I was told by the Motor Tax Policy Unit, in the Department of the Environment......

God, this is such a screwed up mess.

Thats not what I was told by the Motor Tax Policy Unit, in the Department of the Environment......

God, this is such a screwed up mess.

Funny because that very same Department of the Environment says it on their website what I posted a few minutes ago:)!

Here's the link!

I'll now quote the important bit:
    The new CO2 based system will not apply to the import of pre 2008 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Thats why I was asking (again - because I've posted this before) every time I read about this, it conflicts with what I read previously.

Where can I find out for sure, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

E92 wrote: »
    The SIMI are wrong(thought it wouldn't be the first time they've mislead people).

Any pre 08 import will NOT pay €2k road tax a year even if the emissions are over 225 g/km. It's ONLY VRT that is changing.

Road tax remains on the cc system for all pre 08 imports. The Certificate of Conformity is only needed to lower the VRT you pay.

Perhaps that should read all pre 08 registered imports.

From reading DOE and Revenue docs I get the impression that only an '08 registered import will qualify for the new rates. An '06 imported in July will still be on the old system for the purposes of road tax.

As has been quoted elsewhere on this thread:

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,16978,en.doc

"The new CO2 based system will not apply to second-hand imports that were registered abroad prior to 2008".

As such there is no road tax saving on an imported post '08 used car.

I'm with smccarrick on this one.
    I coulda sworn that I'd read that all pre-2008 registered imports will have their VRT rate based on co2 emmissions and their roadtax based on engine size except for any pre-2008 import that has a co2 output of 225 or over, as that vehicle will automatically pay €2000 a year roadtax.

I seem to remember thinking at the time "how can they use the co2 rating to punish a high emmissions car with co2 based roadtax, but not use the same co2 roadtax system on an efficient import?".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I'm trying to scan over this thread and i really can't make sense of it. Can someone confirm the following:

I'm importing an '04 car from the uk.

1)If I wait until July to import, my VRT will be based on emissions rather than engine size. Right?

2)My tax will still be based on engine size?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'm trying to scan over this thread and i really can't make sense of it. Can someone confirm the following:

1)If I wait until July to import, my VRT will be based on emissions rather than engine size. Right?

Correct

Exactly.
    Well, from what I can make out anyway!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I think i read (somewhere on this thread) that if you import a 01/JAN/08-30/JUN/08 car in july you will have a choice of CC or CO2 but only if its under 225co2 emissions for motor tax

If you import a 31/DEC/07 car in July it will be CC based motor tax regardless of Co2 emissions.

i see can i find the thread and add it later.
    edited:
    it starts around here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55318498&postcount=480

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement