Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shamboo

Ragglepuss, here's the old an new vrt calculators. If the emissions are high on your car, like mine, it'll probably be cheaper to vrt it before July. Hope it helps.

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculatorCc - Old One

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator - New one (You have to go through the motions, but on the second page it allows you to input the Co2 Emissions of your car and recalculate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shamboo

shamboo wrote: »
    Ragglepuss, here's the old an new vrt calculators. If the emissions are high on your car, like mine, it'll probably be cheaper to vrt it before July. Hope it helps.

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculatorCc - Old One

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator - New one (You have to go through the motions, but on the second page it allows you to input the Co2 Emissions of your car and recalculate.

Just checked this and both links are now going to the old calculator. They must have copped on and taken the new one down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT

This is the one linked from their home page, and has very few cars in it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I had forgotten about it until I was reminded about it this morning in another thread, but Lexus did jack up the price of the IS at the start of the year for no apparent reason, so they can well afford to be cutting the price of the IS.

Good to Citroen passing on the VRT savings too.

I'd be surprised if anyone DOESN'T do it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ragglepuss

Just looking on the internet there doing a bit more research, one website seemed to state that any car that is bought before July but still not registered until after July is liable to the old VRT calculation. I bought my Audi 2 months ago and dont plan to register it until the 1st July so which vrt system will I be liable to???? The internet seems to contradict itself depending on what site you look at!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Ragglepuss wrote: »
    Just looking on the internet there doing a bit more research, one website seemed to state that any car that is bought before July but still not registered until after July is liable to the old VRT calculation. I bought my Audi 2 months ago and dont plan to register it until the 1st July so which vrt system will I be liable to???? The internet seems to contradict itself depending on what site you look at!

It's all over the place - misinformation everywhere.

The correct version is:

2nd hand car registered in ireland after 1st july will be liable to CO2 based VRT but CC motor tax.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Soarer wrote: »
    You're right on both counts.
    The VRT will be based on co2 for both new and s/h cars.
    Roadtax will be CC based for pre-2008 cars and co2 based for 2008 cars.

+1

Brought in a Corolla verso yesterday and the lady in the VRO, told me the above was true.
    I thought cars would have the lower tax aswell.
    Ya learn something new every day.

Will this stop any of ye bringing in a s/h car after july or are the savings still there ?

Thx

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 denisoco

:confused: What I don't understand is this, if a car is sold after the July deadline it could have been made years ago so the data must exist to say what car tax is payable based upon its emmissions. Also the NCT prints out the current emmission status of a vehicle so it should be easy enough to change all cars over to the new car tax system. That's the annual road tax Im talking about, not the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I'd be really grateful if someone could confirm this for me - I'm just trying to make sure I understand correctly.

I've finally been driving long enough to get reasonable insurance on something fast and sporty and I want to buy either a 1.6L '00 Mazda MX-5 or a 1.6L '02 MG F (yes, I know they've had some dodgy reviews and would prefer the Mazda).

As I understand it, because I plan to buy in the Republic, when I register the car in my name and tax it, it will be taxed based on the old cc system and will be charged at whatever the rate for a 1.6 is? Is this correct or will be road tax be based on Co2 emissions and if so, does anyone know how much that might be?

Please and thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

elmyra wrote: »
    I'd be really grateful if someone could confirm this for me - I'm just trying to make sure I understand correctly.

I've finally been driving long enough to get reasonable insurance on something fast and sporty and I want to buy either a 1.6L '00 Mazda MX-5 or a 1.6L '02 MG F (yes, I know they've had some dodgy reviews and would prefer the Mazda).

As I understand it, because I plan to buy in the Republic, when I register the car in my name and tax it, it will be taxed based on the old cc system and will be charged at whatever the rate for a 1.6 is? Is this correct or will be road tax be based on Co2 emissions and if so, does anyone know how much that might be?

Please and thanks!

Yes - all second hand car's motor tax will still be based on engine size.

1.6L = 391 per year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

1.6L = 391 per year

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

1.6L = 391 per year

+9.5% = €428.

Taxed mine last month. Will remain that way until the next budget anyway. Don't see it going any further TBH, but who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fredjunior191

Sorry there, would you know what band is a toyota altezza?2.0L

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lostinspace

I'm also thinking of buying an Audi A3 from the UK. It's a 1.9 TDI with CO2 135 g/km. So obviously i would be better off waiting until after July 1st to bring this car into the country? I was talking to someone earlier and they said that i would be better off waiting until maybe the 10th July as the valuation (or the open market selling price) of the car would be reduced therefore my VRT won't be as much. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Sorry there, would you know what band is a toyota altezza?2.0L
    How's your Japanese?? It's probably out there on Google somewhere, but probably in Japanese as it's a JDM model.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

Great Post, thanks to all for taking the time to add to it.
    I'm also thinking of buying an Audi A3 from the UK. It's a 1.9 TDI with CO2 135 g/km. So obviously i would be better off waiting until after July 1st to bring this car into the country? I was talking to someone earlier and they said that i would be better off waiting until maybe the 10th July as the valuation (or the open market selling price) of the car would be reduced therefore my VRT won't be as much. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Is there any evidence that the OMSP price will reduce after 1st July?
    I imagine the thinking behind this is that cars that have a lower VRT rate should have a lower OMSP, which makes sense. This would imply that if a car has a lower price after July 08 that it will have a knockon effect of lowering the prices of the same model for previous years. I find this hard to believe, what do others think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

The fact that Audi just slashed their new prices could be a hint...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

Okay all this vrt stuff is confusing the crap out of me :confused: I've heard a few different things and I'm hoping someone could answer a quick question for me. :)

If I was to import lets say a 1999 of any car make/model from the uk after the 1st of next month, does the new vrt changes apply to this vehicle when registering it? or is it just new cars (post july 1st) that are effected, I've seen/heard some say that they won't be effected and others say they will.

I'm sorry if this has been asked or pointed out already, it's probably right in front of me :o forgive me though it's late and I'm half asleep :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Eoin087 wrote: »
    Okay all this vrt stuff is confusing the crap out of me :confused: I've heard a few different things and I'm hoping someone could answer a quick question for me. :)

If I was to import lets say a 1999 of any car make/model from the uk after the 1st of next month, does the new vrt changes apply to this vehicle when registering it? or is it just new cars (post july 1st) that are effected, I've seen/heard some say that they won't be effected and others say they will.

I'm sorry if this has been asked or pointed out already, it's probably right in front of me :o forgive me though it's late and I'm half asleep :p
    I'm feeling kind!

CO2 emissions will determine VRT band. If you cannot prove emissions, VRT will be highest band, 36%. Road tax will be on existing cc-based rates. See http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/vrt-new-tax-regime.htm for more details and what CO2 data is accepted.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

esel wrote: »
    I'm feeling kind!

CO2 emissions will determine VRT band. If you cannot prove emissions, VRT will be highest band, 36%. Road tax will be on existing cc-based rates. See http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/vrt-new-tax-regime.htm for more details and what CO2 data is accepted.
    Well that clarifies a lot for me, thanks :)

It was how the tax was based after registration was my main misunderstanding, just forgot to add that into my post :p Thanks very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

As far as I know, if you don't have official documentation of the co2 rating, I've heard the revenue will accept the rating given by this crowd here.

Don't take that as gospel though, and I'd imagine a 99 car would probably have high co2 rating anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Great Post, thanks to all for taking the time to add to it.

I imagine the thinking behind this is that cars that have a lower VRT rate should have a lower OMSP, which makes sense. This would imply that if a car has a lower price after July 08 that it will have a knockon effect of lowering the prices of the same model for previous years. I find this hard to believe, what do others think?

At the moment, OMSPs would appear to be related to the current new price of the car in question. (Generally speaking "new" OMSP = 92% list price; 1 yr old = 90% of new OMSP etc). Unless Revenue bring in a hideously complicated formula for calculating OMSP based on the historical CO2 emissions of a particular car, OMSPs after July should still be related to the new list price. Put simply: new price down - OMSP of *all* years down, and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

At the moment, OMSPs would appear to be related to the current new price of the car in question. (Generally speaking "new" OMSP = 92% list price; 1 yr old = 90% of new OMSP etc). Unless Revenue bring in a hideously complicated formula for calculating OMSP based on the historical CO2 emissions of a particular car, OMSPs after July should still be related to the new list price. Put simply: new price down - OMSP of *all* years down, and vice versa.

That makes sense, so once the new OMSP reduces there should be a knock on effect for earlier years, good news for anyone importing then. Thanks for the reply Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Put simply: new price down - OMSP of *all* years down, and vice versa.

I find it hard to believe that if I bought a high co2 car in 2007, that a dealer will give me more for it in a july 08 trade-in verses a Jun 08?

Might be interesting to hear to reasons for not though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

..Put simply: new price down - OMSP of *all* years down, and vice versa.

Sounds great, but I am a bit skeptical about Revenue reducing their OMSP at ros.ie, they are recommended by SIMI after all, and current OMSP prices at ros.ie is far from the real prices out there in the market (for second hand car imports anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

positron wrote: »
    Sounds great, but I am a bit skeptical about Revenue reducing their OMSP at ros.ie, they are recommended by SIMI after all, and current OMSP prices at ros.ie is far from the real prices out there in the market (for second hand car imports anyway).

I don't look at it much, but the consensus here is that ROS's figures are pretty accurate.

Afaik, ROS and SIMI have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

AudiChris wrote: »
    I don't look at it much, but the consensus here is that ROS's figures are pretty accurate.

Yeah, from what I have seen, its a bit off the mark. For instance, consider a 2005 Honda Accord 2.2l CDTi Exec Diesel at 50k miles / 80k kms.

ros.ie OMSP = 28800/-
    Cheapest in CarZone = 19900/-
    Most expensive in Carzone = 26950/-

So as you can see, if you take an average its probably around 22 - 23k max. OMSP looks about 15-20% inflated, IMHO.
    Afaik, ROS and SIMI have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

May I was misinformed. Thanks for correcting me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If their OMSP is off, and you show examples of values like Positron has above, can you challenge their OMSP and get it revised downward, anyone ever done this successfully?

• Advertisement

Interested to know that myself.

Another example:

STATISTICAL CODE: 44387634
    MAKE: NISSAN
    MODEL: PATHFINDER
    VERSION: SPORT DCI 05DR / ESTATE / MANUAL / DIESEL /
    MILEAGE: 50000 MILES

DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: APRIL 2005
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €33637

From Carzone.ie:

Cheapest 2005 Nissan Pathfinder is €20,950, and the at the expensive side €31,500 (there an exception, asking 38k! There's always one..! :D)

On average (including the exception cases) approximately €25,000.

Hardly scientific I know, but if we were to consider this as an indicator rather than hard fact, the ros.ie OMSP is approximately 30% higher than the average market rate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement