Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

If their OMSP is off, and you show examples of values like Positron has above, can you challenge their OMSP and get it revised downward, anyone ever done this successfully?

The TAXman will only change if ordered by their Political masters in the government

ANyone want to produce figures and set up a petition to hammer the point home to the minister for finance?

A letter writing campaign to highlight the OMSP Rip Off and embaress the minister of finance in the papers to take appropriate action?

Send suggestions on a post card to Motors @ [url]www.boards.ie:[/url])

Seriously tho' if any one can

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Apparently Revenue will also accept manufacturer mpg or litres/100km (as in handbook) for older cars as there is a formula to calculate CO2 from these numbers.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bee wrote: »
    The TAXman will only change if ordered by their Political masters in the government

Not entirely so.
    The figures are all revised and updated every 6 months.
    If you want to dispute their figures go ahead- they have been acknowledged to have been reasonably conservative for the past few years.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shamboo

I was in the VRO yesterday trying to pay my vrt and there was a chap in front of me complaing about the vrt that he had to pay. The chap behind the counter told him that if he could show proof of a cheaper price they would take that into consideration. I'm paying for a '01 318se and the omsp is about €10,500 and I've seen tham selling for over €18,000 so it can go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Wicklow Jamsey

I think this is a fairly simple decision, but I guess there no harm in asking the question.

I am importing a 2005 reg 2.2 diesel MPV from the UK. It's CO2 emission band is G.

If I understand the VRT rules correctly, the VRT will be 30% OMSP before July 1 and 36% OMSP after July 1.

Assuming the Revenue do not change OMSPs, I presume the logical decision would be to bring it in and VRT it before July 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Wobser

Sorry for my ignorance = but I am totally confused... I have bought a SAAB 9-3 diesel from the uk.. and I have to pay the VRT now. SHould I wait until july 1st as the amount will be less.. I think.. or will i be hit with a larger tax amount every year.
    I know there is loadsa info out there and on this thread but it just confuses me. I would love a simple answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Wobser wrote: »
    Sorry for my ignorance = but I am totally confused... I have bought a SAAB 9-3 diesel from the uk.. and I have to pay the VRT now. SHould I wait until july 1st as the amount will be less.. I think.. or will i be hit with a larger tax amount every year.
    I know there is loadsa info out there and on this thread but it just confuses me. I would love a simple answer.

A Saab 9-3 Diesel tells us nothing really. What's the Co2 reading on the V5

Wobser wrote: »

If you VRT it before July 1st, you'll pay VRT @ 30% of Open Market Selling Price (OMSP).
    If you VRT it after July 1st, you'll pay VRT on the co2 rating. You'll find the co2 level on the registration form. That number will fall into one of the following bands, and will have the following % of OMSP to be paid in VRT:
    Band A : 0 - 120g : 14%
    Band B : 121 - 140g : 16%
    Band C : 141 - 155g : 20%
    Band D : 156 - 170g : 24%
    Band E : 171 - 190g : 28%
    Band F : 191 - 225g : 32%
    Band G : Over 225g : 36%

As for Road Tax, it doesn't matter if you register it before or after July 1st. Because the very first registration of your car took place before Jan. 1st 2008, it's Road Tax is going to be based on the engine size, exactly like it is today.

Now, I'm not answering VRT questions anymore! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Soarer wrote: »
    If you VRT it before July 1st, you'll pay VRT @ 30% of Open Market Selling Price (OMSP).

Unless it's a 1.9 diesel... We need more info Wobser
    Now, I'm not answering VRT questions anymore! ;)

+1,000,000. Do you think we could organise a boards go-slow? :)

• Advertisement

AudiChris wrote: »
    Unless it's a 1.9 diesel... We need more info Wobser

ASFAIK, the 1.9 is 1910cc, so that'd put it in the 30% OMSP bracket...same as the 2.2.
    AudiChris wrote: »
    +1,000,000. Do you think we could organise a boards go-slow? :)

I typed this really slow if that helps! ;)

I think everyone who frequents Boards has a grasp on the whole VRT thing now. The confusion comes from "the outside", where nobody in authority has come out and clarified everything.
    It's actually very simple now that the goalposts have stopped moving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

ASFAIK, the 1.9 is 1910cc, so that'd put it in the 30% OMSP bracket...same as the 2.2.

Yep, you're right, my bad. :o
    I typed this really slow if that helps! ;)

A n d I ' m r e a d i n g i t r e a l l y s l o w t o o.

I think everyone who frequents Boards has a grasp on the whole VRT thing now. The confusion comes from "the outside", where nobody in authority has come out and clarified everything.
    It's actually very simple now that the goalposts have stopped moving!

Maybe it's time to de-sticky this and put up a new sticky that details the whole deal in one post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Wobser

Thanks all for the advice - things are clearer now :p

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

could someone please advise me as to how much co2 a VW passat 2002 1.9tdi 110bhp emits? thanks in advance

could someone please advise me as to how much co2 a VW passat 2002 1.9tdi 110bhp emits? thanks in advance

154grms/km for the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

smccarrick wrote: »
    154grms/km for the manual.
    thanks for that

fazulas wrote: »
    I find that many people are very passive about the Irish government actions. The new motor tax is clearly unfair for owners of environmentally friendly cars registered before 2008, but nobody seems to be bothered about this. I encourage everybody affected by this new tax to complain about it to the Minister for the Environment and to the Ombudsman.

I've done it already. For more information, please visit

http://euemie.blogspot.com

To be honest- there is precious little point in complaining- you'll get an acknowledgement of your letter, and a copy of the Press Release detailing the scheme- thats it. Its a complete waste of time. Picketting Minister Gormley's constituency office probably would be more worth while.......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody have a link for the new stickers that were announced today...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭copperdaz

does anyone know was there an press release saying that tax rates will be backdated to the 1st of Jan. it was around march i think..that means that 08 cars are on the new rates as well

^From July 1st, any car first registered between Jan 1st 2008 and June 30th 2008 can be switched to the CO2-based road tax rate at next renewal, if the owner so desires. Obviously, you would only do this if the new rates are cheaper!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fazulas

To be honest- there is precious little point in complaining- you'll get an acknowledgement of your letter, and a copy of the Press Release detailing the scheme- thats it. Its a complete waste of time. Picketting Minister Gormley's constituency office probably would be more worth while.......

smccarrick: you're right that the government couldn't care less about a couple of angry emails. However, the office of the Ombudsman has opened an investigation already at my request. The more people voicing their disagreement the better... Although, as you say, perhaps picketting would be the quickest way to do it :-)

I don't mind what action one takes, as long as people don't fence-sit and accept anything the government will want to foist upon them like sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭m4j

Quick Question,

Completly dim in regards to buying cars but would like to invest in a second hand car as a second car and wonder with the changes in VRT, which I understand does not affect tax on old cars, when would be the best time to invest in a second hand car? Now or After July 1st or is there any difference? There seems to be alot of talk of prices coming down overall.

Many thanks for any help and consideration you can offer.

^ If you're importing a car, the CO2 emissions figure will determine the VRT rate (and therefore the € amount you pay) from July 1st. So, if the car you're importing will attract a higher VRT rate after July 1st, you save by importing and registering before then.

If it's an existing Irish car - don't expect any big drop in prices. Dealers do have a lot of used cars in stock though, so you could drive a hard bargain. Same goes for private sellers - there is a glut of cars on the market.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

The reason the government backtracked on the new tax rates for older imported cars was because the motor industry complained - so it worked for them dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

As a matter of interest - has anyone compiled a list of new cars with the lowest CO2 emissions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Vote them out of office next time around, these idiots have screwed their own supporters who bought into low co2 cars prior to 2008!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 willmott

i have been living in the uk for almost 2 years now and i am returning to Ireland at the end of July. I have a 2001 Toyota Avensis and I am wondering should I register it at home before July 1st to avoid the high tax band or does that only apply to brand new cars?
    Also can I register the car in Ireland without taking it over?

Please reply as time is running out!

willmott wrote: »
    i have been living in the uk for almost 2 years now and i am returning to Ireland at the end of July. I have a 2001 Toyota Avensis and I am wondering should I register it at home before July 1st to avoid the high tax band or does that only apply to brand new cars?

The VRT band will change on 1.07.08- you will pay VRT at the new rate unless you register beforehand. You will pay annual cartax at the engine CC rate, providing you can prove the CO2 emissions are below the threshold rates(correct me if I'm wrong here someone). If you cannot prove the CO2 emissions- it is assumed the car is a gas guzzler and you pay the 2k annual road tax (irrespective of the engine cc size).

You *cannot* register the car without having it over here- the motor tax office are supposed to have the car available for inspection. They may not ask to inspect it- but they reserve the right to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

willmott wrote: »

If you've owned the vehicle for over 6 months and can prove you have been living and working in the UK during that time, you will be exempt from paying VRT when you bring the car back with you.

I can't remember where the information relating to this is on the Government website, but look in to this avenue first as it could save you a lot of money.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    If you've owned the vehicle for over 6 months and can prove you have been living and working in the UK during that time, you will be exempt from paying VRT when you bring the car back with you.

I can't remember where the information relating to this is on the Government website, but look in to this avenue first as it could save you a lot of money.

Note: you have to have been working. If you were a student, it doesn't count.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement