Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 willmott

Thanks for the replies.
    i realise that i will not have to pay any vrt as i have owned the car for over 6 months over here, my big concern is that as far as i can see my car will fall into grade D which will be 430 euro in road tax - wont I still get caught for this tax even though i will be exempt from vrt??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

willmott wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    i realise that i will not have to pay any vrt as i have owned the car for over 6 months over here, my big concern is that as far as i can see my car will fall into grade D which will be 430 euro in road tax - wont I still get caught for this tax even though i will be exempt from vrt??

Motor tax is calculated differently to VRT, of your car is 31st DEC-2007 or older it will be based in CC road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Just to clarify the above post - you will pay road tax on the 'old' cc-based system, not on the new system of A-F CO2 bands.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Shower of <SNIP> - the VRT on my car has gone up 250quid since Friday, im cutting it tight moneywise as it is I didnt need that. How has the value of my car gone up? <SNIP>, its bad enough goign up and paying 2000euro tax as it is without another 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

WTF are you bringing in??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Have you had it valued, or just looked it up on the website?

Website's only a guideline and whether it goes up or down doesn't guarantee you anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

When do we get to know the new OMP they are putting on cars under the new system?

Bendihorse wrote: »
    When do we get to know the new OMP they are putting on cars under the new system?

Brand new cars - as each price list is launched by the importer, they're advising the revenue of the new OMSPs

Second hand cars - I guess they'll appear on the revenue website as soon as they get their info together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I wonder if they will increase OMSPs them so they can make a bigger cut... Wouldn't surprise me.

I wouldn't think so, afaik the OMSPs on the online calculator are fairly accurate.

I'd think that if they wanted more revenue, they'd just increase the tax rates - if they start "tweaking" OMSPs so that they blatantly don't line up with real open market selling prices, they'll be inundated with appeals!

• Advertisement

just looking at honda.ie website and the link they use to explain vrt/motor tax changes is different from the simi.ie pdf file their referencing ? seems people are still confused:
    http://www.honda.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=14673&parentID=4115
    (just incase its updated by the time you read it)
    Q:
    I am thinking of buying an imported used
    car after July, how will the new Road Tax
    system affect me?
    A: Imported cars first registered in previous country before
    the 1st January 2008 will be Road Taxed at current rates
    except those with emissions more over 225g/km which will
    be taxed on a CO2 basis (currently €2,000). Used vehicles
    first registered in previous country after 1st July 2008 will be
    based on the CO2 Road Tax rates while those registered in other
    member states between the 1st January and 1st July 2008 will
    be taxed on whichever rate is lower. (See Tables 1 and 2)

and simi.ie
    http://www.simi.ie/Files/SIMI_RoadTaxvrt.pdf

Q:
    I am thinking of buying an imported used
    car after July, how will the new Road Tax
    system affect me?
    A: Imported cars first registered in previous country before the 1st
    January 2008 will be Road Taxed at current rates (cc based). Used
    vehicles first registered in previous country after 1st July 2008
    will be based on the CO2 Road Tax rates while those registered in
    other member states between the 1st January and 1st July 2008
    will be taxed on whichever rate is lower. (See Tables 1 and 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

FWIW - 'we' were in VRO Galway today, here's what happened......

See my last comment, here

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Shower of <SNIP> - the VRT on my car has gone up 250quid since Friday, im cutting it tight moneywise as it is I didnt need that. How has the value of my car gone up? <SNIP>, its bad enough goign up and paying 2000euro tax as it is without another 250.

Unless your car is wearing an 08 X XX plate........you won't be paying 2k tax. If your VRT went up only 250, there's no way what you're bringing in is 2k a year........what is it, btw....?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    just looking at honda.ie website and the link they use to explain vrt/motor tax changes is different from the simi.ie pdf file their referencing ? seems people are still confused:

Honda are right and the SIMI booklet is wrong.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Honda are right and the SIMI booklet is wrong.

i thought it was the other way around. ie
    if i import a car with 226co2 that was registered before 2008 in the UK, that the motor tax will be engine sized based?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

galwaytt wrote: »
    Unless your car is wearing an 08 X XX plate........you won't be paying 2k tax. If your VRT went up only 250, there's no way what you're bringing in is 2k a year........what is it, btw....?

pretty sure he meant 2k vehicle reg tax had gone up 250.

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    i thought it was the other way around. ie
    if i import a car with 226co2 that was registered before 2008 in the UK, that the motor tax will be engine sized based?

Its CC based all the way up to 224grms/km when it then switches over to CO2 emissions based. Thats why you still have to prove the CO2 emissions- even if the road tax is going be CC based........

Its CC based all the way up to 224grms/km when it then switches over to CO2 emissions based. Thats why you still have to prove the CO2 emissions- even if the road tax is going be CC based........

so the dept. of environment are also wrong: me confused.com:(

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/

"The new CO2 based system will not apply to second-hand imports that were registered abroad prior to 2008."

incorrect: I have it in an email from Dept.

It's cc all the way for the life of the car.

So Sayeth The Dept.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    incorrect: I have it in an email from Dept.

It's cc all the way for the life of the car.

So Sayeth The Dept.

Any chance you could PM me a copy of the e-mail- I've been told one thing by the Motortax crowd in Shannon and totally contradictory advice by the Motortax Policy Unit in the Department in Dublin :( Its no wonder we're all confused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Or publish the email here?

Caveat:

OK, I've emailed the officer in question, to get permission to reproduce the email in full.

Pending that, however, below is the (abridged) version - I'll put up original when I get the o.k..
    Please Quote Ref: REPXXXX/JG/08

11 April 2008

Email: XXXX@XXXXX

Dear Mr. XXXX,

I have been asked by Mr. John Gormley, T.D., Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, to refer to your recent email in connection with motor tax.

The position is that a 1993 model car imported from the UK – at any time – will, for the lifetime of the car, be taxed based on engine size (cc). Vehicle Registration Tax on such a car imported prior to July
    2008 will be subject to the current VRT rates.

Yours sincerely,

____________,
    xxxx
    xxxx

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

NO!!!

You have to prove the CO2 emissions for VRT purposes. It is irrelevant to motor tax as it stands unless the ar in question is 08.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jayz lads.... This thread is burning an awful lot of oil the last day or two. I can't see for the smoke!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

I would clear before Jun 30th to be on the safe side.We know the old rates will apply. New stuff God only knows.I can see people in July 1 arguing about the top band as they have no CO2 cert or it listed on the V5. Then it is the appeal process,

Then it is the appeal process,

In all fairness- they are pretty prompt and quite reasonable about appeals. Plus they also give you very good details on the reasons your appeal was successful (or failed). S.

interesting snippet on landrover prices from todays times:
    LAND ROVER

While the new VRT and road tax laws were designed to discourage SUV ownership, this might not have the desired effect in the case of some Land Rover models. The basic Freelander model comes down by €3,033 even though it sits in Band F. There are now automatic versions of the diesel Freelander available. There are price increases on all the Discovery models, with an increase of €1,770 on the popular SE 7-seater. All models will be in Band G from July 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

who said the VRT laws were designed to discourage SUV ownership? I was under the impression that CO2 based system was a level playing field, and much fairer than the old cc based system. that Irish Times journo is talking rubbish. If the Freelander has low emissions, than what's the problem with owning one?

I think the point he is making is that it doesn't have low emissions, it is band F as mentioned, land rover have just cut the price...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Before i go in and VRT my motor, just want to clarify:

a 2001 Alfa 147 should be VRT'd before Tuesday (July 1st)? People have started telling me that the whole system has changed and just want to clarify!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement