Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Is there a definitive Co2 emmissions list for older cars, specifically a '94 Merc E220 Convertible ?

I've been trawling the net all afternoon to no avail.

I've tried the 3 stated at the beginning of the sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Thats the dilemma I faced. There was no CO2 number on the V5 for my 97 vehicle. I tried to find and research the reading and felt it was a hassle. Looking at the ROS site the onus is on you to provide the info or else you are at 36% VRT. I took the 30%. Also the bigger the vehicle with the same engine in the range will result in higher CO2 output Also remember 4 years ago CO2 etc was a non issue for the most part. It is a safe bet to think that most of the older stuff will fall into Band F or G What hasnt been addressed is whether the old OMSP prices will be still used on Tues or modified to account for the shortfall in taxes. I feel that the car dealers and SIMI have had discussions with the Gov on this. I cannot see how dealers will lose 2-300k on inventory without relief. They are reading the same newspapers we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Is there a definitive Co2 emmissions list for older cars, specifically a '94 Merc E220 Convertible ?

I've been trawling the net all afternoon to no avail.

I've tried the 3 stated at the beginning of the sticky.
    If the owner's manual states MPG figures, the CO2emissions can be calculated from that. You must bring the owner's manual with you.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shamboo

eamon234 wrote: »
    Guys - they don't check the car for extras if it's over 5 years old - nice lady at the VRO told me so.

I brought in a '98 316 two years ago and they checked everything so I don't think thats true for every vrt office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

If i was to buy a second hand Car in england, say a 04 rx8, would i have to pay the new vrt or would it stay the same as it was coz its secone hand?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    If i was to buy a second hand Car in england, say a 04 rx8, would i have to pay the new vrt or would it stay the same as it was coz its secone hand?

New VRT (from tomorrow) same annual road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

esel wrote: »
    If the owner's manual states MPG figures, the CO2emissions can be calculated from that. You must bring the owner's manual with you.

I see that ok. Ah.... I paid up today! Job done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mixupat

I need to register a 3 series coupe i purchased yesterday in the uk. If you register your car over the next few days, could you post how you think the open market selling prices have changed. Up, down, unchanged? VRT will reduce from tomorrow on the 320 D Coupe but how will the OMSP go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Audi A4

Mixupat wrote: »
    I need to register a 3 series coupe i purchased yesterday in the uk. If you register your car over the next few days, could you post how you think the open market selling prices have changed. Up, down, unchanged? VRT will reduce from tomorrow on the 320 D Coupe but how will the OMSP go?

Folks - Get this. Just been on the Ros site just after midnight so it was 01/07/2007 at 0:22 to be precise just before the site was updated with the new C02 based VRT rates. Got a rate for a 2004 Audi A4 1.9 TDi and the OMSP was listed by ROS as €17,075. So at 25% (the old rate) VRT was €4268.

This particular model is due to reduce to 20% of OSMP under the new regs so naturally now expecting VRT to be 20% of the €17,075 OSMP = reduction to €3,415

Went back to the site 39 minutes later (it was exactly 01:01) to see if the new C02 rating system was up and guess what? New C02 rates are now up on the site. Car is indeed now VRT rated at a reduced 20% but just 39 minutes later the OSMP of this car had increased from €17,075 to €18,133!! So its not 20% of €17,075 but 20% of €18,133 = VRT of €3,626. So they have sneakily slipped in over 200 euro of a clawback.

It really sickens me to see such a sneaky way of doing things by revenue. If anything the OSMP for rating this vehicle should be reduced under the new system as diesels in this range will suffer a drop in second hand market value and definitely not a jump of €1,058 in 39 minutes. I am due to pick this vehicle up tomorrow to be VRT in the morning and I will be having this out with the VRO as I have 2 printouts within 39 minutes showing two different OSMPs.

So be warned. After all the hype about reduced VRT it appears there is a sting in the tail awaiting you in the form of jumped up OSMPs. In this case the resulting amount was bounced up over 200 Euro which is not a massive amount but thats not the point. The OSMP has been manipulated in the new system to clawback some of the promised reduction in the VRT cost.

VRT has always been a contentious issue especially where it has been argued that Ireland is in breach of EU laws on Free Trade but this for me takes the biscuit. We simply have no choice but to get on with it and pay the VRT in Ireland as it is or run the risk of Customs seizing the vehicle.

Now it seems that even this new system designed to reduce VRT and supposed to be fairer to the consumer is being manipulated in another way. If any trader or private individual operated like this in business the National Consumer Agency would be on you before you could say Vehicle Registration Tax. :mad::mad::mad:

Just checked out what Audi A4 was saying and he's right. I paid vrt on a 01 318se last Thursday and paid €2699 and the omsp was €10,498+- and now the omsp is gone up to €11,249 with the vrt at €3149. I expected the vrt to go up due to high emissions but the omsp I thought would stay the same. Glad I paid it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hmmm.....I'd give it a few days to let the new system iron itself out. They have Efficient Dynamic BMWs listed at the older, higher, CO2 emission levels, with a OMSP higher than it should be - as would be the case if they're using a too high VRT rate. I wouldn't like to be doen the VRO today trying to explain all this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

My OMSP has dropped over €3000 :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

testicle wrote: »
    My OMSP has dropped over €3000 :)

Whats the make, model and year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

positron wrote: »
    Interested to know that myself.

Another example:

STATISTICAL CODE: 44387634
    MAKE: NISSAN
    MODEL: PATHFINDER
    VERSION: SPORT DCI 05DR / ESTATE / MANUAL / DIESEL /
    MILEAGE: 50000 MILES

DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: APRIL 2005
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €33637

New OMSP as of this morning: €36790

Increased by €3153

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Just looking at a 99 Audi TT 225bhp and the OMSP has gone up by around €2000! I check it every so often (I drive one) to see what they're valuing it at and last week it was only around €10,500, its now €12489.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ROS is currently incorrect for all new vehicles so I'd guess the same issue is affecting Used OMSP's as well.

Should be back on track shortly with correct figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yeah, I'd hold-fire for 24 hours at least.

Anyone who's bought a gas-guzzler hopefully got their cars through yesterday. Everyone else, sit back and wait a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

smccarrick wrote: »
    Whats the make, model and year?

05 X-Type 2.0 Diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Same for a 1991 318is, went from 2049 up to 2134 and the rate went from 25% to 28% difference of about 85 euro which is better than it being charged at 36% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BMW318iSEAuto

I recently purchased a 2007 318iSE Auto. It is stored at my UK address and I intended to bring it over after July 1st as the VRT was being reduced from 30% to 28%. In addition, to buy the car new in Ireland prior to July 1st would have cost €46,005 (30% VRT). According to BMWs website, the new car price after July 1st is €40,956 (20% VRT). I therefore expected that the OMSP used in the VRT calculation would also have been reduced accordingly after July 1st.

Yesterday (June 30th), the ROS site stated an OMSP of €37116 with a resulting VRT rate of €11134.

Today (July 1st), I checked the ROS site again to see that the OMSP had only been reduced to €36079 with a resulting VRT rate of €10102.

Isn't the OMSP directly linked to the new list price of the car? If so, why haven’t the revenue reduced the OMSP by the same percentage as the reduction in the list price?

Prior to July 1st, there was a difference of €8889 between the list price and the second hand OMSP for this vehicle (€46,005 - €37,116) which, at about 19%, is a reasonable depreciation calculation. Now, however, there is only a €4877 difference (€40,956 - €36,079) which equates to only 12% depreciation. This is ludicrous. On top of this, the car I have bought does not have one of the new efficient engines which means it should depreciate even more in relation to the new model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Audi A4

Update to my earlier post. Just been back on ROS and the OSMP of my A4 has now reduced from €18,133 to €15,929. So VRT now down to €3185 :). Fair play to the believers. Must have been a system glitch afterall !!

Anyway now hotfooting it to the VRO before they change their minds again. Will be interesting to see how others fair out with this over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Audi A4 wrote: »
    Update to my earlier post. Just been back on ROS and the OSMP of my A4 has now reduced from €18,133 to €15,929. So VRT now down to €3185 :). Fair play to the believers. Must have been a system glitch afterall !!

Anyway now hotfooting it to the VRO before they change their minds again. Will be interesting to see how others fair out with this over the next while.

ROS online seems to be up and running as it should now.

Enjoy the que in the VRO ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

email rec'd issued from SIMI at 11.35am

Please note that due to a problem on the ROS system, vehicles registered first thing this morning had their VRT assessed on the old OMSPs. In nearly all cases this will have higher than the amount that should have been paid.

Revenue have advised us that this problem has now been sorted, and that the correct OMSPs are now on the system.

However, for vehicles already registered there will have been an incorrect amount of VRT paid. Revenue have advised us that any overpayment will be credited back to dealers' FACT accounts, but have not yet advised us of the timeframe of such refunds/credits. The will have an answer later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Got a quote for a 150 gt tdi 03 yday.. was E3400 at 25%

Today is E1984... deadly stuff, glad i waited.
    Only prob i see is that they have the co2 down as 135g which gives you 16%, but on my english log book it is 143...

slideways wrote: »
    Got a quote for a 150 gt tdi 03 yday.. was E3400 at 25%

Today is E1984... deadly stuff, glad i waited.
    Only prob i see is that they have the co2 down as 135g which gives you 16%, but on my english log book it is 143...

The new site gives you the option to input a different co2 so you can get a better estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

shamboo wrote: »
    The new site gives you the option to input a different co2 so you can get a better estimate.
    But why use it if it will give you a worse estimate, and presumably higher road tax into the future? In this case, the car would move from Band B to Band C.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

esel wrote: »
    But why use it if it will give you a worse estimate, and presumably higher road tax into the future? In this case, the car would move from Band B to Band C.
    Well I have it printed out and will go in in a few days..
    Hope i get away with it, with any luck it will be a burd working and she will be dazzled by my good looks and charm!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patravers

I am in a similar boat, I have bought an Audi A6 its jan 2006, the ros webpage has given me a qoute of 8000 or there abouts as it says the car has co2 emissions of 169 which is 24% but my manual says 172 which outs it into the 28% bracket.

Do the VRO check your V5C document or simply take the printout you bring with you from thw ros webpage?

Also if you input the higher percentage of 28% the OMSP goes up as well bt over 2 grand

Do anyone thini i should chance going in with the ROS printout?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patravers

Let us know how you get on slideways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

patravers wrote: »
    I am in a similar boat, I have bought an Audi A6 its jan 2006, the ros webpage has given me a qoute of 8000 or there abouts as it says the car has co2 emissions of 169 which is 24% but my manual says 172 which outs it into the 28% bracket.

Do the VRO check your V5C document or simply take the printout you bring with you from thw ros webpage?

Also if you input the higher percentage of 28% the OMSP goes up as well bt over 2 grand

Do anyone thini i should chance going in with the ROS printout?

to be honest, this is all new, i would say to try to take advantage of this ASAP before the revenue change the figures on the website before you go in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement