Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    to be honest, this is all new, i would say to try to take advantage of this ASAP before the revenue change the figures on the website before you go in.

You will be later billed for the difference. SIMI put a statement out about it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patravers

What did this statement say?? have you posted it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

testicle wrote: »
    05 X-Type 2.0 Diesel.

Seems yesterdays figure was not a mistake. Paid ye newe VRT this morning.

VRT on Monday €7350
    VRT Today €4250

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patravers

Seems yesterdays figure was not a mistake. Paid ye newe VRT this morning.

VRT on Monday €7350
    VRT Today €4250

:D

Did the VRO office use your printed qoutation from the ros webpage pr look at your V5C document to calculate your VRT?

V5, they were different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Does anyone have a uk V5 for a 2004 a4 tdi 130 sport 6speed to hand? Just wondering what it says the co2 emissions are on it?
    Big enough variation on vrt between the 5 and 6 speeed on the ros website, dont know why as they're the same engine?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

alo1587 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a uk V5 for a 2004 a4 tdi 130 sport 6speed to hand? Just wondering what it says the co2 emissions are on it?
    Big enough variation on vrt between the 5 and 6 speeed on the ros website, dont know why as they're the same engine?!
    It is because the 6 speed would be more economical i would imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 larry_b00

Hi Everyone
    Just need some up-to date info on car tax for used imported cars, eg.for my imported 07 reg car do I still use the normal cc rates or the new Co2 rates??:confused:

larry_b00 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone
    Just need some up-to date info on car tax for used imported cars, eg.for my imported 07 reg car do I still use the normal cc rates or the new Co2 rates??:confused:

VRT - CO2
    Tax - CC

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mickey mac

alo1587 wrote: »

My V5 for the above(6speed) car states 154 Co2, although the ROS site has it at 162 (I think)
    One is 20% the other is 24%??? I'm assuming the vrt calculator hasn't got a complete list of A4 diesels yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Is the ROS calculator well off?
    I enquired about a volvo xc90 and they give a price of 10k more than the most expensive for that year on Carzone.

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY
    Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) Calculation. CO2 emissions input by Revenue.
    DATE: 02 July 2008 TIME: 21:09

STATISTICAL CODE: 42689099
    MAKE: VOLVO
    MODEL: XC 90
    VERSION: D5 SE SPORT 05DR A / ESTATE / AUTOMATIC / DIESEL /
    CO2 EMISSIONS: 239
    MILEAGE: 50000 MILES
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: JANUARY 2005

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €59513
    RATE OF TAX: 36%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €21424

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Is the ROS calculator well off?
    I enquired about a volvo xc90 and they give a price of 10k more than the most expensive for that year on Carzone.

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY
    Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) Calculation. CO2 emissions input by Revenue.
    DATE: 02 July 2008 TIME: 21:09

STATISTICAL CODE: 42689099
    MAKE: VOLVO
    MODEL: XC 90
    VERSION: D5 SE SPORT 05DR A / ESTATE / AUTOMATIC / DIESEL /
    CO2 EMISSIONS: 239
    MILEAGE: 50000 MILES
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: JANUARY 2005

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €59513
    RATE OF TAX: 36%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €21424

You're leaving it a bit late to bring that in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Im just wondering how they think the OMSP is 10k more than any on sale in Ireland its 20k more than the cheapest on carzone.

I saw one in the UK for 14k sterling,

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A three year old Volvo diesel auto XC90 with an OMSP of €60k? :eek:

With a bit of bargaining you'd nearly get a brand new one for that. Solid car but way overhyped and overpriced both new and second hand imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well just back from clearing the car.

They took the co2 rating on the log book.

Your wan fcuked up when giving me my quote and when i came back with the bank draft she told me that it would be 160 extra due to the wrong month being put on the quote.
    Told her that she had the log book, it was no ones fault but her own... lo and behold after a bit of whispering the figure was magically changed

Total saving of 900 euro, this week alone, 2100 euro since i frist checked last september and 9 months road tax... wahooo. Result for moi! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shamboo

I know this has nothing to do with this thread but I've looked around and can't find a thread anywhere. I'm looking for an independent bmw dealer somewhere between Dublin and Wicklow. The emissions light has come on and the power is knackered on a '01 318se.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

Sideways -

had a similar result yesterday VRT on my golf fell from 3800ish lash week to 2180 yesterday.

was well worth not changing over the plates for the last 6 months and taking a couple of lectures from the gards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 eagleeyejoe

Registered the Audi A3 yesterday. VRT last week = €2369. VRT yesterday = €1,350. Not a bad saving!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

shamboo wrote: »
    I know this has nothing to do with this thread but I've looked around and can't find a thread anywhere. I'm looking for an independent bmw dealer somewhere between Dublin and Wicklow. The emissions light has come on and the power is knackered on a '01 318se.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    Start a new thread - best way to get an answer to your question.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

So I went down to my local VRO office to pay the VRT on my 2008 car. Car has 5500 miles (about 8900 km’s) on the clock, car was first registered in the UK on the 10th of January 2008 so it was 7 days of being six months old.

From reading the below from the Revenue website I took it that if your car was over six months old OR has more than 6000 KM’s you DON’T have to pay vat here while paying the VRT.

When is VAT chargeable and payable?
    New means of transport from other Member States of the EU

In the case of a new means of transport i.e. land vehicles (excluding agricultural tractors) that were supplied six months or less after the date of first entry into service or have travelled 6,000 Kilometres or less, VAT is chargeable and normally payable at the time of registration in the State, even where there is evidence, e.g. an invoice, that VAT was paid in the country of purchase.

NOT the case as I found out she told me I was reading it wrong, so I rang the dealer where I bought the car and he said he has no problem in refunding me the UK vat but I must show him proof I have paid it here in Ireland 1st. So knowing this I said fine I’ll pay the vat and she then informs me that my model is not on there system and I will have to wait 2 – 3 days before I know the VRT amount…. So I couldn’t pay anything.
    So just be warned if your importing a 2008 car make sure its both six months old AND over 6000km’s.

• Advertisement

^ Tough one, mate. However, it is clear from what you quoted that VAT is due. Is there a chance that your car details are not yet recorded? You could consider hanging on for a week then going to a different VRO, but that would probably be tax evasion.

It's a pity you weren't following the importation thread - your scenario was clarified there just yesterday: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176389&page=60

Not your ornery onager

So I went down to my local VRO office to pay the VRT on my 2008 car. Car has 5500 miles (about 8900 km’s) on the clock, car was first registered in the UK on the 10th of January 2008 so it was 7 days of being six months old.

Wait 7 days, and in that time drive 500 miles ???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Wait 7 days, and in that time drive 500 miles ???

Cork and back for the weekend? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

hang on, you said the car has 8900kms? thats well over 6000kms? and it will be 6 months old on the 10 july, so wait till then surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

Yes it has over 6000KM's but was 7 days off being six months old. The inspector had my V5 cert in her hand when she told me I'd have to pay the VAT i tried to tell her i was going to take the car back to the dealer and not buy it.... with the plan to go to a different VRO on the 11th of july and pay no VAT. But she said they had to take a record that I was there with the car so she stamped the V5 with yesterdays date so I knew I was stuffed then.

Kinda lost the plot with her, then she told me I could claim the UK VAT back from the dealer so I rang him there and then and he said that wasnt a problem he could refund 17.5% of the price I paid to him once I could show him I had paid vat here.

Currently i'm waiting on the VRO office to call me back with VRT amount as my car model wasnt on their database... will let you know how i get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jamesojnr

I went to register the car yesterday had a quote from online and when i went to the office she pulls out a list and asked witch was mine. Log says 157co2 she gave me the tax for a 154 so save a grand on the online quote. Very happy camper

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mrs Doyle

Not such a happy camper. Had an online quote of VRT of €2848 (to be fair came down from 5100 from last week), but as I was filling out the form,realised the registration cert had a CO2 rating of 143 - the online quote had it at 132. Put in the lower rate on the form anyway to see if I could get away with it, but no such luck - yer man said the cert is the one they've to go by....so had to pay an extra €900...ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 willmott

Morning all,

I am currently living in the UK and am moving back to Ireland for good in a few weeks time. I was going to buy a car a few montha ago to bring home but then waited to see how the new tax system faired out.

The car i was thinking of getting was an Audi A3 sport or a BMW 520d as both fall into the low tax bands, basically i am looking for advice on what to do cos the last thing i want is a big car parked up outside the house with no selling of it, has the prices of cars fallen much and are people still buying cars like the 2 above with all this recession???

..But she said they had to take a record that I was there with the car so she stamped the V5 with yesterdays date so I knew I was stuffed then......
    You could ask the dealer to get you a replacement cert, then go to a different VRO.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Updated the first post with sources of proof of CO2 that are accepted by the revenue when importing a second hand car

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement